walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

St Sunday Crag 50 up!

St Sunday Crag 50 up!

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Arnison Crag, Birks, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 12/11/2011

Time taken: 6

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the start of the year we'd set a target of reaching 50 Wainwrights. Following a few visits over the Pennines in April it turned out that, to our frustration every available weekend was blighted with storm force winds and heavy rain. Due to the completely uncooperative lake district weather we had only bagged 4 before late August leaving us still 20 short.
An extended August bank holiday weekend kick started proceedings and following a fine circuit of Riggindale in October we were left 3 to go. Finally an unseasonably fine November day was forecast so an early start for the drive over to make the most of the daylight. Unfortunately due to my confused state of mind at rising early on a Saturday morning I left my camera at home :( so the photos are from my Phone.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As we arrived at Ullswater a brief shower passed and some beautiful August sunshine started to break through. Parking at the Patterdale Hotel (£4.50 for all day) we set off for number 48, Arnison Crag. The paths were very boggy in places due to overnight rain but were dryer as we gained hight and bagged the first of the day.

OSF006.JPG
Ullswater from Arnison Crag

From the fine craggy little summit of Arnison crag we followed the wall past a few lumps and made our way to the apptly named trough head.

OSF008.JPG
Trough Head in sunshine

From here the hardest part of the walk was reached. Fortunately a ruined dry stone wall provides a clear guide up onto the ridge. The Lung busting accent provided plenty of opportunity to rest and enjoy the light show provided by the breaking clouds. (and for me to curse my DSLR sitting on the settee back home :( )
OSF010.JPG
Deepdale

OSF011.JPG
Arnison Crag bathed in sunshine

DSC00516.JPG
Grace illuminated by some lens flare

Soon the nondescript summit of the Birks was reached marked by a small cairn. At this point we were in bright sunshine, as was Ullswater to the north. Unfortunately the way ahead was very dark and gloomy.

You can get great views of striding edge from here but as the light was so dynamic and my camera phone so slow to realise I wanted it to take a photo a good shot was somewhat difficult.

OSF014.jpg
Striding edge obscured by cloud

It was a little bit boggy on the approach to St Sunday Crag which was playing hide and seek with the clouds making us wonder if we would get any views.

OSF016.JPG
Approaching St Sunday Crag, clear for the moment

Rather than head straight up the ridge we followed the path to the subsidiary summit of Gavel Pike (allegedly) St Sunday's best view point. It was a very gradual accent and easy going so soon it was time to enjoy lunch as the clouds scudded by.
OSF022.JPG
Deepdale from Gavel Pike

OSF023.JPG
Where Fairfield should be

OSF025.JPG
...and Ullswater

From here a simple crossing of the Col called the cape leads to a short accent to the Summit cairns of St Sunday Crag and number 50 bagged :D
OSF026.JPG
Gavel Pike from the accent of St Sunday Crag

As it was a special occasion Tad the dog came along to!
OSF030.JPG
50 Up!

The sun just started to break through when we were on the summit so we had a very pleasant decent with some fine views. The decent path really is a fine way off the fell.
OSF035.JPG
Striding edge with Catstycam peeping over the ridge.

OSF043.JPG
The Birks in sunshine

OSF049.JPG
Hughie admiring Ullswater
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: St Sunday Crag 50 up!

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 am

Finally got it right :oops:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: St Sunday Crag 50 up!

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Congratulations on reaching the 50 :clap:

A good report and photos look pretty good as well :D

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Unfortunately due to my confused state of mind at rising early on a Saturday morning I left my camera at home so the photos are from my Phone.
You'll have to practise getting up early several times to get over that confusion :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland