walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A misty day in Glen Clova

A misty day in Glen Clova

Postby Steve B » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 13/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 860m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking for a couple of fairly straightforward hills to do and had decided on these a week or so ago. I wanted Brenda to be able to have a 2 Munro day without the ascent etc of the West Coast.
Having been away all week all was prepared for an early getaway on Sunday.

The drive from Glasgow took longer than expected with the hunt for a bacon / egg roll finally tracked down in Blairgowrie taking a bit of time.

As we were driving into Glen Clova Brenda says "I thought we would be able to see some hills", needless to say they were all obscured in the cloud and mist that had been present since Stirling.
The car was finally left at 10:30 and a pleasant walk up through the forest and up into Glen Fee. The walk through here was fantastic despite the lack of views, on a very easy track.
1 - Approaching Glen Fee.JPG

2 - Looking back down Glen Fee.JPG

3 - Up into the clouds.JPG

4 - Glen Fee.JPG

The waterfalls were flowing well and there were a number of people ahead of us.
5 - Waterfall in full flow.JPG

The way got a bit boggy once taking a bearing and heading for the summit of Mayar was achieved after 2.5 hours.
6 - Mayar.JPG

A short amount of time was spent putting on an additional layer, a bite to eat and then over to Driesh.

The way was fairly straightforward with a couple of checks on direction required due to the visibility being down to 5 metres for a good deal of the time.
It was good to find a path by the edge as we made our way onto Little Driesh as features had been few and far between.
7 - In a boggy bit.JPG

We eventually arrived on Driesh and stopped for longer than we should for a brew and a bite to eat.
8 - Driesh.JPG

Eventually we packed up and made our way down. The track down the Shank of Drumfollow was found soon enough.

The track then went in and out of the trees and the clouds were getting thicker making a sense of mystery in the forest. A few slips and slides on roots and rocks did not help the pace of descent and eventually we arrived at a track. I foolishly said "Oh look there is a decent track now", only for us to dissappear into the forest again as the path only went over the road.
The next track appeared and I could see another path going on into the forest but a check of the map, with head torch needed!! confirmed we could stay on this track and eventually across the bridge and back to the car.

It was a good walk which I would like to do in winter, and with a view.

Brenda had achieved her 10th Munro but was not convinced she would do any more until the post Munro amnesia had kicked in.

After a bath and dinner back in Glasgow the plans are afoot for another Munro, or 2, with Brenda.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Re: A misty day in Glen Clova

Postby Kevin29035 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Quite a way from Glasgow, haven't done these two yet. Is a shame about the mist, but they look like nice hills, the forecast yesterday didn't quite live up to it's cloud-free section!
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland