walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

8 Munros from Glen Isla, will my feet ever forgive me?

8 Munros from Glen Isla, will my feet ever forgive me?

by mountaineagle » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Driesh, Glas Maol, Mayar, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Date walked: 15/11/2011

Time taken: 12.4 hours

Distance: 57.7 km

Ascent: 2530m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 8 Munros from Glen Isla, will my feet ever forgive me?

Postby ChrisW » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 pm

this is just unbelievable :shock: I got tired reading it :lol: Fantastic round Mountaineagle - in answer to your question NO your feet will never forgive you for that :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: 8 Munros from Glen Isla, will my feet ever forgive me?

Postby Bonusred » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Wish I read this report before my adventure at the weekend. I started form Glenshee Ski Centre, planning on Carn an Tuirc, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe, Carn of Claise, Glas Maol and Creag Leacach in that order.

Started at 7am, the weather was perfect, little bit of mist lower down, but the sun woudld make short work of that. I reached Carn an Tuirc at 8am, Tolmount at 9:11am and Tom Buidhe at 9:37am. This is where my day took a turn for adventure. Standing at the Summit of Tom Buidhe, I could see the top of Corrie Fee, and Mayar to my South East. Having made brilliant time on my first 3 summits of the day, and having been frustrated by ot being able to do Mayar and Driesh about 6 weeks earlier, I thought l, wow, I can knock those two off whilst I’m up here, I’ve already gained the height, and it’s not that far.

Two big underestimations, 1 what looks close isn’t always as close as you think, and 2. Walking across peat bogs will always be slower and harder than you think. A third underestimation was the weather, whilst it was perfect on top of Tom Buidhe, you could see the clouds/mist down in the glens, but hey, it’s still early the sun will burn all that off. Pretty soon, the South Westerly breeze started to lift the mist up from the glens onto the plateau, my lovely view of Mayar, vanished.

Eventually, after a few minor mis-directions, I finally joined the standard Mayar and Driesh path, and finally reaching the summit of Mayar at 12:17, definitely time for lunch. I was pretty tired from the 2 hour bog-trot and ascent of Mayar, so after a spot of lunch, reached Driesh at 13:07. Unfortunately, the beautiful Corrie Fee wasn’t to be seen from either Mayar or Driesh

Then the long walk back, up Mayar again and then back in as straight a line as possible to Tom Buidhe, but veering west before going up its summit to try to head for the mid ground between Tom Buidhe and Cairn of Claise. Some of the ground I covered was 100% bog, very hard going, plus the visibility was still very poor, and straight lines are not possible across bogs and peat hags. On the plus side, I saw hundreds of voles, even managed to step on one, but thankfully he was ok, ran away as soon as I lifted my boot, and saw an Owl, think it was short eared owl, first time I’ve ever spotted an owl on the wild. Also found a complete dear antler, which I took home for my dog (they are crazy expensive in a pet shop).

Finally, and total exhausted by this stage I got back onto the “path” between Tom Buidhe and Carn of Claise, reaching the summit at 17:03, finally achieving the 4th of my planned day, some 7.5 hours after my 3rd, from there it was head down and carry to complete the circuit. Glas Maol was achieved at 18:02, and on there saw my first ever Fog-Bow. Then onto Creag Leacach reaching the summit at 18:50. By now there was next to no visibility, and the descent down was through full blown fog, a long slow descent, although I suspect that with fresher legs it would not have been so bad. My foray to The Glen Doll munros added 7 hours or so to my day. Finally reached the end point at 8:30pm, 13.5 hours of walking, 75000 steps, 8 munros (9 if Mayar counts twice), not sure how many miles, an owl, and two very very sore feet.
Bonusred
Mountain Walker

Munros:180   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:10

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland