walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Achladair on a bowl of porridge!!

Beinn Achladair on a bowl of porridge!!

Postby BigP » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chreachain, Beinn Achaladair

Date walked: 10/11/2011

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 1360m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit late in writing up, but as they say better late than never!!

Started the day in with the tops of the munros in cloud, but there was broken cloud up to the North, so was very optimistic that there would be views to be had on the summits, mmmh famous last thoughts!

Parked the car in the car park at Achallander Farm, after driving for an hour and a half, was looking forward to a good stretch of the legs!!

I walked up the Glen, following the Water of Tulla, came upon a dead sheep half way along, which was being pecked at by a trio of crows, and a large Buzzard. I did not think the two species would be in the same vicinity!

Crossed the Water using the rickety bridge, and then headed up the slippery slope of Beinn A'Chreachain towards Lochan a Cheachain, at around 400m the cloud came down, and the wind picked up, and picked up and added just a wee bit more!! When finally reaching the lochan, was treated to a display of the wind dancing across the surface of the lochan.........simple things!!!

Headed up to the summit of Beinn A'Chreachain, did not stay long on the summit, as there was nothing to see, still in the cloud!! from this summit, I followed the ridge up to the second summit for the day Beinn Achaldair, and funnily enough I did not stay long there either!!

Headed down the ridge, into Coire Achaldair, finally exited the cloud around 600m, just in time to see a great colour display of the sun almost setting!!
It was a bit of a tramp through the bog back down to the farm, got to the car, changed the soaking clothes, and then had my lunch!!........as I said better late than never!!

I did read in a book at this walk was the best in the Orky Range, as the views were suppose to have been great, however in the cloud they were not!! I will have to do this one another day in the sunshine!!
Attachments
Beinn Achaladair small files 18.jpg
Beinn Achaladair small files 6.jpg
Beinn Achaladair small files 1.jpg
BigP
Mountain Walker

Munros:122   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland