walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

So Long, but not Goodbye - The Cobbler

So Long, but not Goodbye - The Cobbler

by Stretch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 12/11/2011

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 920m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: So Long, but not Goodbye - The Cobbler

Postby Stretch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks again everyone for reading my short novel and for the great comments. I wouldn't say I'm sad my time here is over, I'm very excited about getting home and have been since the summer. But I will certainly miss the hills and the folks I've met on them.

Very true Dougie!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 pm

What can I say thats not already been said mate,well maybe a few things.Ben Narnain & Sue"s face on the "spearhead".7/11/10.Ben Ime & that wind at the top.13/11/10.Mount Keen "ice-axe arrest practice-seal pup or bull walrus!.5/2/11.Beinn "a"Chaorainn/Beinn Teallach "the falling down day"12/2/11.Beinn Fhionnlaidh & that shoogly bridge.26/3/11.Mullach Clach Blair & Sgor Gaoith,wet feet,lost satmaps,walking clothes pole,cumfy summit cairn.2/4/11.Stob Coire an Albannaich /Meall nan Eun,Glen Etive your fav place(sweet home glen etive).17/4/11Saddle/Sgorr na Sgine,camping Stirling style& start of a buckie luv affair.14/5/11.Aonach Eagach(nuff said).4/6/11.Beinn Bhrotain/Monadh Mor stumps for legs back at the car.13/8/11.Ben Vrackie(perfect).6/11/11.The Cobbler great day with dear friends.12/11/11.
So thats it mate all great memories & as you say its time to go back home & the pull of Amanda would be hard to resist,hope you enjoyed our time as much as I have over the last 13 months.
Fairwell till we meet again Andy,"lang mae yer lum reek".

Willie(gammy leg walker)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Great times Willie.

Still quite fond of this one...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8MrUZ-Ol4[/youtube]
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby RicKamila » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 pm

All the best for the future back in the states Stretch. Looking forward to reading your walk reports from both America and also when you venture back across the pond again. Scotland will be calling for you and greet you with open arms when you return.

Rick and Kamila
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:53 pm

What a beautiful written report...I was sitting in my living room with with awwws and ooowwws lol
Like you I moved over to Scotland but I never managed to leave (loved the mountains too much in order to ever return home) and after more than 15 years I dont think I ever will. :D

I wish you all the best back in the US and trust me, you will miss Scotland more than you can imagine now :)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby thomas » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Mountainlove wrote:What a beautiful written report...I was sitting in my living room with with awwws and ooowwws lol
Like you I moved over to Scotland but I never managed to leave (loved the mountains too much in order to ever return home) and after more than 15 years I dont think I ever will. :D

I wish you all the best back in the US and trust me, you will miss Scotland more than you can imagine now :)

so your not scottish then mountainlove where you from then ????
thomas

Munros:114   Corbetts:2
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby steven65 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Never having walked / climbed with anyone associated in this thread - yet - it would perhaps be easy to disregard it ? However , having read it with a smile i`m sure it strikes a chord with all here on WH. :)
Good luck Stretch.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Bod » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:18 am

Well Stretch, here's a couple more special pics as promised........ :D
DSCN4538.JPG
A very fine company.......:)
DSCN4644.JPG
The Needle waiting to be threaded!
DSCN4655.JPG
Jockstar joining Iain and myself on the summit rock.....:)
DSCN4659.JPG
Seriously happy chappies!
DSCN4665.JPG
Iain coming back through.....
DSCN4666.JPG
Yourself and a very chuffed Jockstar :)
DSCN4732.JPG
Yourself and Gammy :)

What more is there to say after all of the above! Except "SUPERB" :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby nathan79 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 am

I echo all the previous sentiments. On reflection i think via WH meets i've actually walked more hills with you than, and i blame you for the resulting hangovers i've endured every single time!

Last weekend was great fun from start to finish. Even Sunday's mulled wine hangover couldn't put a damper on it. The perfect send off for you, you Dido-loving Buckie fiend.
This was the real highlight for me though.
DSCF4267.JPG
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And thanks to the wonder of the internet it's not even really goodbye. So you're not safe from Monty's jokes even across the ocean!

Slanj (raised whisky in hand- just the one though, work tomorrow). :D
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby xpfloyd » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:40 am

Great report/farewell mate. All the best in the future

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby Stretch » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:19 am

Cheers Eddie.

Nothing wrong with Dido, Nathan. She has more talent in her pinky finger than your ridiculous Gaga has altogether! :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby MarilynMunro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:38 pm

I have never had the opportunity to meet you, but like many I have read and admired your reports and maybe seen just a little window into your stay in our fair land. I'm sure I recall seeing a report and some photos of you, GLW and the monks tipple, maybe thats to blame for my late introduction to the hills. Whatever it may be,
I think you may be leaving a gap in some peoples lifes. It seemed so fitting that you had, what looked like, a tremendous send off with new found and soon to be oft remembered friends( and no clag).
I hear the monks are already having to plan a new advertising campaign, for lost revenue. :lol: :lol:
Take care and best wishes on your return to your family.

Jim.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby b-illie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 am

Stretch - Have followed your link to your other report about time having stood still and was quite moved, like many here. I, too, have experienced that healing quality of being out in the hills and consider those times as being among the most fulfilling and memorable of my life. And I haven't been out for some time now (the last time out in the hills was actually in Scotland, Fisherfield Forest, so I have very fond memories) and sorely miss those moments. You've captured their magic and the power to let you be you, being rid of all thoughts and uncercainties, tremendously well.

I now understand that returning home is what you want - and while I can imagine that the situation you found yourself in a year and a half ago was difficult indeed, I guess leaving a place behind that you loved and friends that were dear to you is not such a bad thing when you return to a place you equally love. In fact, I think you can call yourself fortunate. :clap:

All the best! :wave:
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Stretch » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks Billie and Jim, very kind words. I'll have my SMC munro and corbett books on my coffee table so the hills won't be too far away.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 am

nearly brought a tear to my eye there Stretch, all the best, look forward to your reports from the U.S :clap:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

37 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland