walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bhac by Bike

Bhac by Bike

Postby icemandan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 11/11/2011

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 42 km

Ascent: 887m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Short November day. Long approach. Answer - the push bike. We pedalled off from Braemar on a motley collection of bikes - two hybrids, two MTBs and an old Falcon which required two people to lift - dubbed the uranipede being slightly lighter than depleted uranium.

P1010189.JPG

I'd not used my bike much for the hills much but was pleasantly surprised. The bike coped with the track reasonably well, cycling in boots was not too hard.

Some pointers -

1) Carry at least two spare inner tubes. One of mine exploded before we'd left tarmac and it's replacement punctured near Altanour. The anticipated effortless trundle down the Glen can turn into a demoralising plod.
2) Don't take the puddles too fast - you'll get soaked.
3) Be prepared to get very muddy indeed.
4) Take a substantial lock.

Anyway two punctures and an hour and a half later we were locking up the bikes at the ruins of Altanour Lodge.
P1010188.JPG

From here we followed a muddy 4X4 track which eventually disappeared into mud and heather at some shooting butts. Not an adrenalin fuelled one this. We slowly plodded higher and the view of round brown hills all around got wider until we hit the sprinkling of sparkling quartzite and a broad view from the top.
P1010190.JPG

Beinn a Ghlo made an interesting pyramid shape.
P1010191.JPG

and there was a long view across the empty lands between Geldie and Tilt to the distant high Cairngorms.
P1010192.JPG

A pleasant stroll back down, The setting sun turned the heather a pleasing chocolate brown.
P1010194.JPG

With the wind now behind us we flew down Glen Ey and ground our way past Victoria Bridge and up a hill that we'd barely noticed on the way out and kept going until we drew up outside the Fife Arms - who advised us that they were serving food until 9....but that's another story.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Bhac by Bike

Postby Liathach » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 pm

The Fife sells food? I didn't think it was called that :)

Good way to tackle Carn Bhac at this time of year.
Liathach

Re: Bhac by Bike

Postby icemandan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Don't know - we got there at eight, they gave us some menus and then told us that the chef had gone home. Had to go to Ballater for a curry.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland