walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor-2 great mountains

Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor-2 great mountains

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 05/11/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15.4 km

Ascent: 1542m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a long spell of wet and damp weather and what felt like 2 months of constant rain, I was getting really excited when I checked the metoffice forecast and discovered that the next weekends forecast was supposed to be dry and sunny. :D
Having camped in Glen Etive throughout summer but never in autumn/winter I did decide a while ago that this year was the year when I had to give it a go. Belgiumhiker from this site had suggested a few different sleeping bags to me a few months ago and a couple of weeks ago I purchased a 4 season sleeping bag (-10C) from a company called Alpkit for 140 Pounds. The reviews I have read on their website were brilliant and I was keen to try it out.

Having spend a rather unproductive day ay work on Friday (who can concentrate when a weekend of camping and hiking is on the agenda? :lol: ) I left straight after work and drove up north. When I arrived at my usual camping spot (I guess from next year a postbox and name plaque is in order :thumbup: ) It was dark and I blessed the maker of pop up tents (I have 3 tents but my wee pop up tent is still my favourite) as pitching the tent was pretty straight forward.

When I had unpacked I grabbed my laptop and my tea and settled in my tent…a movie with dinner in style. It was getting pretty cold and I was soon inside my sleeping bag but I enjoyed the movie and getting rather tired after I finished it I checked my watch – 7:30pm!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ok that was far too early to go to bed, but there was nothing else to do. I decided to get organized and ended up reading until 8:30pm…afterwards I ended up falling asleep.
Because of the early night I was up at 6am the next morning. The sleeping bag was better than I could have ever imagined, as I have felt warmer that night than I ever did in summer (with my summer sleeping bag) I got ready and washed and a couple of hours after one of my friends arrived, who said he wanted to come hillwalking with me, after I said I wanted to to do Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather was absolutely stunning with blue skies and some puffy low clouds, which seemed to hug the mountains. Driving down Glen Etive we managed to find a parking space (quite a few other cars were parked there already) and set off.
DSCF6547.jpg

DSCF6549.jpg
The path at the start nice and easy

DSCF6554.jpg
The bog starts

The start of the path was pretty good but soon became rather boggy. Walking along a fence many walkers opted to cling themselves to the fence to avoid the boggiest parts of the path…a good idea as very soon I copied the rather strange way of walking up a hill. :D :D :D

We got to a burn and because of the heavy rain in the previous weeks it was rather large. Crossing burns is not one of my favourite activities and I admit that I will take ages until I have found a place to cross…yes I had incidents when I took unplanned baths while crossing them :shock: :lol:
DSCF6558.jpg

When I finally reached the other side the clag came in and soon there was no visibility at all. I cursed the weather forecast (which again was completely wrong) but made my way up Ben Starav.
DSCF6559.jpg
The clag

The path is pretty clear to follow but it is a drag! When suddenly the clouds parted we were presented with a dramatic view and it was time to take some quick pictures.
DSCF6563.jpg

DSCF6567.jpg

DSCF6570.jpg

DSCF6572.jpg

The top of Ben Starav was covered again in clouds so I didn’t manage to take any photos.
After we left the top to walk towards Glas Bheinn Mhor it started to snow which luckily passed quickly and soon after the clouds parted for good and left some spectacular views.
DSCF6575.jpg

DSCF6579.jpg
The arête

Walking along the arête was great fun although if you like you can avoid it by talking the path to the right hand site. The walk up to Glas Bheinn Mhor is again pretty straight forward and is something I really enjoyed.
DSCF6600.jpg

DSCF6602.jpg

Reaching the top of Glas Bheinn Mhor I found a little Tupperware box with a photo inside which was left up there in memory of a person who must have died. Checking the box I was wondering if ashes were in it….you never know.
Meeting up some fellow walkers we discussed the box and one told us a rather funny story….

Code: Select all
One year the mountain rescue team got a call from a woman whose husband had died and who wished that his ashes were scattered on An Teallach. He wasn’t a hiker but he had seen the mountain and liked it and wanted his ashes up there. As there were no other hikers in the family the mountain rescue was the only people the women could think of. They agreed to take the ashes during their next mission up there and when the time arrived one of them, while standing somewhere up An Teallach opened the box to scatter the ashes….
It should have been easy, but during the moment he threw the ashes the wind turn and he ended up covered in ashes.

Lol I guess that’s something to remember if you are ever being asked to do that :shock:
DSCF6610.jpg

DSCF6612.jpg

DSCF6621.jpg
The way down

Leaving Glas Bheinn Mhor in beautiful sunshine we made out way down the hill. Unfortunately there was no way to pass the boggy path at the bottom of the hill, but it is always surprising how much I don’t care anymore when I am on the way back. I really did enjoyed the two Munros and I am guessing I will do them again at some point. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor-2 great mountains

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Crossing burns is not one of my favourite activities and I admit that I will take ages until I have found a place to cross…yes I had incidents when I took unplanned baths while crossing them

Ditto. Been there, done that. I've had a stomach-full of dodgy river crossing this past year and a half! :shock:

Lovely report and brilliant range of tones and colours in the photos! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Great report ML.

Thanks for all the useful details, makes them sound very do-able :D

Yes you're right about the bog on the return leg- you just stop caring!!! :lol:

Is that you out on the ridge photo?
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:
Mountainlove wrote:Crossing burns is not one of my favourite activities and I admit that I will take ages until I have found a place to cross…yes I had incidents when I took unplanned baths while crossing them

Ditto. Been there, done that. I've had a stomach-full of dodgy river crossing this past year and a half! :shock:
Lovely report and brilliant range of tones and colours in the photos! 8)

Great to know that I am not the only one :D Although I didnt had a stomach -full one...best one I had was a fall and standing up to my pants in water... :lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:
Great report ML.
Thanks for all the useful details, makes them sound very do-able :D
Yes you're right about the bog on the return leg- you just stop caring!!! :lol:
Is that you out on the ridge photo?

Many thanks Polly...I can only recommend the 2 if you havent done them. No thats not me on the ridge (wish I had a decent photo of myself as it was a great ridge)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby icemandan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Nice report - one of my abiding memories of Ben Starav is floundering about in the swamp at the bottom in the dark

BTW You seem to be re-enacting the video for Bohemian Rhapsody in one of those photos!
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby rockhopper » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:48 pm

icemandan wrote:BTW You seem to be re-enacting the video for Bohemian Rhapsody in one of those photos!
Must be the long, black hair which gives it away :lol:

Very hard to beat Ben Starav & co and the views down Loch Etive - great stuff as usual and very entertaining :D cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mrssanta » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:06 pm

great photos with atmospheric clouds. isn't it good when they go!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:52 am

Nice one, enjoyed that very much...got Ben Starav in the sights too! A visit to the top end of Loch Etive would be a lovely change as I know it more from its south end over the years... :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby skuk007 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Nice report, looks to be a great walk, must get up there next year.
Love the silhouette photo (6572), is it a crop from a larger file?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby monty » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Hey mountainlove,
Photo 6572 would have any red bloddied male running for the hills. I done these two last year but i added the other three because i couldnt be arsed goin back. Mind you if you were there hahahaha
monty

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:36 pm

icemandan wrote:Nice report - one of my abiding memories of Ben Starav is floundering about in the swamp at the bottom in the dark
BTW You seem to be re-enacting the video for Bohemian Rhapsody in one of those photos!

After looking at the video on youtube...lol yes know what you mean...although the mountains make a better backdrop :lol:
rockhopper wrote:
icemandan wrote:BTW You seem to be re-enacting the video for Bohemian Rhapsody in one of those photos!
Must be the long, black hair which gives it away :lol:
Very hard to beat Ben Starav & co and the views down Loch Etive - great stuff as usual and very entertaining :D cheers

Many thanks icemandan!

mrssanta wrote:great photos with atmospheric clouds. isn't it good when they go!!

You are right there is nothing better than clear views, after walking around in the clouds for ages!

skuk007 wrote:Nice report, looks to be a great walk, must get up there next year.
Love the silhouette photo (6572), is it a crop from a larger file?

No thats the photo the way it was shot...havent done anything with it...but really like the photo myself!

monty wrote:Hey mountainlove,
Photo 6572 would have any red bloddied male running for the hills. I done these two last year but i added the other three because i couldnt be arsed goin back. Mind you if you were there hahahaha

Lol not sure about that but thanks 8)
Yeah I was told that you are a mountain mad man :D Your reputation is way ahead of you, which seems to be a miracle with your speed of walking :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby corryhully » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:10 am

great report and fantastic photos. 20 odd years we did a walk from dalmally to kingshouse taking in starav on the way. up to our waists in snow as i remember. great place. thanks
corryhully
Rambler

Munros:16   
Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:25   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland