walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

starav and friends with overnight camp

starav and friends with overnight camp

Postby mrssanta » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:46 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Meall nan Eun, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 30/04/2011

Time taken: 29 hours

Distance: 25.6 km

Ascent: 2517m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

this was a walk we did in the Royal Wedding weekend and although it's a few months ago now it is still memorable for lots of reasons. I was inspired to write this after reading Mountainlove's report as it seems the conditions were very different for her!! We'd climbed Ben Lomond on the Friday of the royal wedding - strange how many men and how few girls there were up there! Having then dropped off our daughter at the Islay ferry to spend the rest of the weekend with Granny, we wanted to make the most of our weekend off. the visibility was fantastic but with a strong wind. We seemed to join the rest of Scotland wild camping in Glen Etive - we counted at least 50 tents - so we could get an early start in the morning. our original plan was to climb 4 hills and camp near the lochans at 174446 - but more of that later. It was before I'd discovered WH and I'd got a lot of information from Steve Fallon's website. Excellent info but for normal mortals half the length of his routes and then some, and that's about right for a day!!

Well as I said we got a nice early start, early for us that is, about a quarter past nine.
this is from the starting point at the roadside, looking up to where we are going
starav from the roadside.JPG

It was very dry underfoot everywhere and as we walked along round the back of Coiletir and along the fence towards the burn crossing we could see evidence of bog but walked across everything completely dry shod. no trouble at all getting over the burn.
you can see how dry it was from this picture looking up Glen Etive from the shoulder of ben Starav.
looking up glen etive.JPG

It was a long trog up the shoulder with plenty of false summits, and we kept catching up a solitary walker dressed all in black, whenever he stopped for a fag break! We followed him most of the day, but he eventually got away from us, he was younger than us, that's our excuse.
this is me on the top.
top ben starav.JPG

that was about half past twelve and time for lunch which we took on the edge of the ridge in perfect sunshine and well out of the wind.
next stop Beinn nan Aighenan.
we missed out the ridgey bit after the top of Starav, and Beinn nan Aighenan only looked a wee way further really, but it wasn't. once we got going the wind was buffeting quite strongly and kept catching on my rucksack so that I stumbled about a bit. it was really tiring and we decided that we didn't like Aighenan all that much (as mountains go!) but the view from the top was superb. Here am I at the top with the cone of Ben Lui visible behind
top beinn nan Aighenan looking towards ben lui.JPG

then we had the long trog back to the main ridge again, filling our bottles as we went at the little burn at 142419. the wind was so strong here whistling up the hill from the east that the burn was blowing uphill.
On the way back up onto the ridge I had to stop several times to get my breath back and avoid being blown over (note, this was before purchase of walking poles). but once back up it's not a difficult walk across Meall nan Tri Tighearnan and on to Glas Bheinn Mhor. From there the views up to Ben Nevis and so on were stunning
from glas bheinn mhor towards ben nevis and grey corries.JPG

the time was now about a quarter to six and still plenty of daylight, but as we looked down the steep slope to the next bealach and up again, I happened to mention that I thought three Munros might be quite a good number for one day. Blessed Husband replied "thank goodness for that!" So the decision was made to find a wee cosy corner at the head of the allt mheuran for a camp.
Good move that was too, and what a lovely sunset, but by this time I was very shivery with tiredness and took the photie leaning out of the door of the tent wrapped in my sleeping bag, hence it's a bit squint
sunset from the tent2.JPG

Had a lovely night sleep and here's me at the top of Stob Coir an Albannaich at just after 9am wow!!
top Stob Coire'an albannaich.JPG

that was a lovely hill to walk up, it was quite rounded and smooth and then suddenly we came upon the edge, much more dramatic on the other side.
we had a bit of excitement picking our way down to the bealach between Albannaich and Meall nan Eun, where the path we wanted was in a wee gully full of hard packed snow. we could see all the way to the bottom, so I decided it would be fun to slide down. Much faster than I had anticipated, and I was just a wee bit frightened!!
got to the top of Meall nan Eun at a quarter past eleven very pleased. we came down the ridge and off the end picking our way down a fairly cliffy bit to the bealach at the top of Glenceitlin.
then started the long walk back down through Glenceitlin which we had read would be very boggy and wet. not a bit of it, it was as dry as a bone. I was quite worried as I was thinking we would be suffering from drought soon, and it was just a couple of days after this that Liathach and other hills went up in flames. With hindsight of course there was plenty rain to make up for it later!! Just shows that "what ifs" often never come to pass.
Here's a nice picture looking back up to Ben starav from the track back from Glenceitlin Farm to the road.
ben starav from glen etive.JPG

Next project, the Big Bookle, for tomorrow and we got a good start by walking a good way up the Lairig Gartain and camping there. But that's another story.
Last edited by mrssanta on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: starav and friends with overnight camp

Postby rockhopper » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:46 am

Cracker of a report there - very enjoyable :thumbup: Walked the same route back in July and was also lucky to get great weather. Absolutely loved this area and the views down Loch Etive. Brilliant idea to camp high - think if I was going back I'd consider doing the same after seeing your report - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby morag1 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:49 am

Lovely photos of one of the most beautiful parts of Scotland

You look really happy in the hills :D

Hope you post more reports soon :thumbup:
morag1

Postby kinley » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:07 am

Nice 8)

Was reflecting last weekend on how long it has been since we were up Starav.

You're reminding me to push it up the to-do list. 8)
kinley

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:26 am

A fine report Mrssanta and some lovely photos. I was out out that day also and if i recall it was a bit windy. Not being picky but the date you have is November, this is date date you probably done the report, you can change the date while doing the report to the actual date of the walk :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mrssanta » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote: Not being picky but the date you have is November, this is date date you probably done the report, you can change the date while doing the report to the actual date of the walk :D

Thanks Johnny, have done that.
morag1 wrote:You look really happy in the hills :D

Hope you post more reports soon :thumbup:

thanks Morag, I am really happy, can't beat that feeling when you get to the top and I don't mind the rain, but sunshine is even better!! :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:07 pm

That looks fab! :thumbup:

And I can see why you're called mrssanta! :D :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby tamw51 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:11 pm

What cracking days you got! i did it 4 weeks later than yourself, planned on doing all 5, starav in thick cloud,beinn nan Aighenan thick cloud and driving rain! got to glas bheinn mhor and it was snowing, at the end of may was insane! :o got down to the bealach and thought bugger this im off! so will have to return, and id be straight up starav again, great hill great place!very envious of your weather! :D :D
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:155   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kevsbald » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Lovely sunset shot :D
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Really enjoyed reading your report :D I was in one of the tents in Glen Etive :-) I remember that weekend well (did the Mamores and Bidean nam Bian that weekend) Great pictures and yes it was so windy and pretty chilly as well! Lovely to see the view from Ben Starav thats what I was missing.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby mrssanta » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:57 pm

dogplodder wrote: I can see why you're called mrssanta! :D :lol:

bit embarrassing really to be so obvious, but never mind. I was once told by a teacher at school always to wear red socks in the hills in case you get hurt to help you be seen. I got the jacket in a sale at a good price. I only have myself to blame for the trousers as they are home made.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 pm

mrssanta wrote:I was once told by a teacher at school always to wear red socks in the hills in case you get hurt to help you be seen. I got the jacket in a sale at a good price. I only have myself to blame for the trousers as they are home made.

Good on you for making them! Anyway you suit red! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland