walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Walk - Stank Glen!

First Walk - Stank Glen!

Postby legendaryjordan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 am

Route description: Stank Glen

Date walked: 29/08/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So last week i had the urge to go on a big (for me, at least) walk (my first). Anyway we searched for them and found one relatively close (50 mins), It was called Stank Glen!

On the way, it was raining badly, (although minutes before getting into the car it was so sunny) so i was a bit annoyed although i never hope for a sunny day in scotland. The transformation from our position, rainy and windy in comparison to the top of the sunny mountain was amazing and something i had never seen before.

When we got there, we had to make our own parking space.

It started with the long, boring road before heading up to the forrest where we got the towel out and sat down to eat some nuts. I saw two ripped dogs and an old man coming up. After that, we took some pictures of the waterfall and headed up the steps (which were surprisingly easy). It was easing up and not raining. It was my ideal weather because the sun totally saps me.

After that, i came close to a panic attack because the steep hill with stones and flowers on either side was covered with wasps and bees and maybe hornets. I kept my hands in and basically ran up it :lol:. I was proper scared but after that it all calmed down and i got to a steady walking pace again. A few minutes later seen me to a big boulder (still on-route to ben Ledi). I climbed up it and rested for 20 minutes.

Then i continued on around the side of the mountain to see more amazing scenary (see below). I was going to go up Ben Ledi but my sister determined it was too steep/hard so we carried on, like we planned. half an hour later and i seen a little open gap in the crowded forrest and hopped in hoping to find something. We went to the top, as far as we could, and found nothing. It took 30 minutes of our time too but did add something different to our walk as it started to rain just as we were coming down. (I also seen some red mushrooms here but couldn't photograph it).

After that, we basically went down to the waterfall and back down to the long boring road. We had been out for 4 and a half hours and we though we would rest about half an hour away from the carpark right on the edge of the Loch or whatever you call it. I thought it was a brilliant place to actually camp (in the future). There was a little island of stones a few metres from it so we crossed and skimmed some stones.

We got a little fire going and that, eat some chicken and rested. This took a further 2 1/2 hours off our time. We then walked the long road back to the carpark.

Looking back on it, i thought it was a very enjoyable experience. I saw good scenary, got good pictures and basically did something different. I'll definetely be going back.
Attachments
Picture 091.jpg
Pebble Island :lol:
Picture 088.jpg
Looking out, just before leaving
Picture 063.jpg
Beautiful sky & sunny picture
Picture 053.jpg
One of my favourite!!
Picture 043.jpg
On top of the rock looking at our journey ahead
Picture 041.jpg
The bee/wasp trail!!!!
Picture 028.jpg
The smallest fire ever made
Picture 019.jpg
Tall trees...
Picture 014.jpg
Decent wee view!
Picture 010.jpg
Some kind of fly...
Picture 007.jpg
The clouds are a comin'!
Picture 005.jpg
Notice the shadow on the side of the mountain, nice transformation also.
IMAG0131.JPG
Looking out
IMAG0125.JPG
Waterfall!
IMAG0123.JPG
The first break in the forrest
Picture 070.jpg
On the ground near the end
legendaryjordan
Mountaineer

Re: First Walk - Stank Glen!

Postby rogers » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Well done on getting out on your first walk,seems like you enjoyed yourself,i enjoyed the photos,not so sure about the fire it can be very risky/dangerous in an area that is popular with walkers/tourists if it were to get out of control or not extinguished properly,so if you like the countryside don't risk damaging it,but by all means enjoy yourself and hopefully this first adventure will be a taste of things to come.If you do fancy your first Munro i would recommend Ben Lomond as there is a well marked route all the way to the top,and you are rewarded with some amazing views.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: First Walk - Stank Glen!

Postby legendaryjordan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Ok thanks i was thinking about Ben Lomnd.

The fire was at an actual fire site seperate from the country side. Thats why there were rocks n that around it. And it was muddy all around so i knew it couldn't spread. And also, since we seen 2 sets of campers on the opposite side with a fire, we thought "why not?"
legendaryjordan
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland