walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not Bagging Ben Alder – Part 3

Not Bagging Ben Alder – Part 3

Postby Phil the Hill » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 25/05/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15.8 km

Ascent: 735m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After our previous day’s exertion’s (see previous post), I wasn’t feeling so keen on going straight into a big expedition with heavy packs, especially as the weather was still looking dodgy and we had no forecast.

I therefore changed the plan again. Today (Wednesday 25th May) we’d just bag Beinn na Lap from Corrour. This would be an easy day to recover, and Andy could do some fishing too. It would still give us the opportunity to visit Corrour and Loch Ossian by train, and we could do our overnighter to Ben Alder tomorrow by the Southern route, when maybe the weather would have improved.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had plenty of time, so we had a leisurely breakfast in the Moor of Rannoch Hotel and caught the later train from Rannoch Station. The train timetable seemed to be back to normal after yesterday’s problems.

IMG_5799.JPG
Rannoch Station

I’d been looking forward to visiting Corrour, famed as being the only station in the country not accessible by public road. Naively, perhaps, I’d envisaged this meant there would be no cars there. So I was a bit surprised to see a VW Polo parked by the station, which turned out to be ferrying people the short walk from the station café to the Youth Hostel, and later a white Transit van, which looked like it was making deliveries to the Lodge at the far end of the Loch. I wondered how these vehicles got here – were they delivered by train?

IMG_5802.JPG
Corrour Station cafe

IMG_5803.JPG
The train departs

IMG_5804.JPG
Loch Ossian

We walked down the track towards the Loch and turned off towards the foot of Beinn na Lap. Here we met an old guy with a fishing rod, who said he’d been with a party going up Beinn na Lap but had turned back as it was too windy for him. Apparently they were going over the far side of the hill to fish, but he was now just going to fish in some of the lochans here. He gave Andy some tips as to the best places.

Undeterred, we set off up the hill. It didn’t seem quite as windy as we’d experienced yesterday on the other side of the Loch (mind you, that still left plenty of scope for it to be pretty windy!). This was a straightforward bag from a high start point – up the initial slope into the clag, pick up the path and follow it along the wide ridge until you reach the summit cairn and trig. We got buffeted at points but were able to find some shelter en route.

IMG_5807.JPG
the summit ridge

There were even some views from the summit – Ben Alder looking elusive again.

IMG_5810.JPG
Carn Dearg and Sgor Gaibhre

IMG_5811.JPG
Andy at Beinn na Lap summit

IMG_5813.JPG
Ben Alder

We returned the way we came. Back at the junction we met the same fisherman, now with his wife. Her party had become split in the mist at the summit and they were still trying to meet up.

Andy and I walked round the West end of the Loch and picked up the other end of the Road to the Isles track we’d walked on yesterday.

IMG_5815.JPG
Loch Ossian Youth Hostel

I noted the beginning of the Munro-baggers’ path up Carn Dearg from this side. I watched Andy set up his fishing gear by the lochan whilst I nibbled on a Fruesli bar, then headed back to the station café, where I had a coffee and flapjack and played Carcassonne on my iPhone whilst waiting for the train and Andy’s return.

IMG_5818.JPG
Andy fishing

Eventually the time to catch the train approached and there was still no sign of Andy. Having finished my coffee and games, I thought I’d wander back down the track to find him. Halfway back to the junction, another car approached – this time a red Golf with a London registration. For somewhere unreachable by public road, there was an awful lot of traffic here.

I was even more surprised when the car stopped, and Andy opened the door to offer me a lift back to the station! It turned out the driver and his family were friends of the head ghillie (I think that’s the term) at the Lodge, where they were staying. You could drive in (if permitted) from Glen Spean to the North. Study of the map later confirmed this must be from the start point for the Creag Pitridh group and the Northern approach to the Aonach Beag group.

Despite all the traffic, there was still a feeling of remoteness to Loch Ossian. I could understand why the fisherman and the family in the car came regularly to spend a few days here. It must be beautiful in good weather.

IMG_5819.JPG
the return train

We caught the train back to Rannoch and stayed another night at the hotel. We had failed to bag Ben Alder for a third time, but we’d had another good day on the hill despite the weather and had bagged one more of our target Munros. Tomorrow we’d have another go…

(to be continued)
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland