walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The shortest Scottish hillwalk ever? Hill of Dunnideer

The shortest Scottish hillwalk ever? Hill of Dunnideer

Postby GariochTom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Route description: Hill of Dunnideer, near Insch

Date walked: 20/11/2011

Time taken: 0.5 hours

Distance: 1 km

Ascent: 98m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is probably the shortest hill walk I have ever done since moving here 4 years ago (well, I have walked up smaller hills, but not just for the sake of hillwalking).... but it was worth the effort.

IMG_9039.JPG
Signpost

After passing through a kissing gate we followed the direction of the helpful sign and headed up the well-manicured grassy path, looking back towards the historic village of Insch.
IMG_9005.JPG

A little higher...
IMG_9008.JPG

The hill was fairly steep....
IMG_9010.JPG
The hill fort

Within 10 minutes we reached the summit, on which the remnants of the Castle of Dunnideer stand. The castle dates from circa 1260, and is possibly the earliest tower-house on the Scottish mainland (http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/18128/details/dunnideer/).

After the walk I learned that the castle ruins are surrounded by two lines of defence from an earlier hillfort. The inner line includes a vitrified wall, where the stone have been turned glassy by a high temperature fire burning the wooden framework within the wall. There were also earth ramparts around these walls - another line of defence..... However, being not very observant I didn't recognise any of these archaeological remains, and just thought we were walking up a hill :)

IMG_9014.JPG

IMG_9016.JPG

IMG_9022.JPG

IMG_9028.JPG

IMG_9033.JPG

After spending some time on the summit, taking in the views and taking photographs of the ruins from numerous angles, we headed back down the way we came, passing the line of larch trees.

IMG_9035.JPG

IMG_9040.JPG

The walk was finished almost as soon as it had began!

Track201111201000.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

To recover from such a strenuous walk ;) we then paid a visit to the new teashop at Chapel of Garioch - the Old Post Office - where I had a latte and a delicious raspberry & amaretto cake... delicious.
IMAG0196.jpg
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Re: The shortest Scottish hillwalk ever? Hill of Dunnideer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:25 pm

I think Cairnpapple hill might beat this, i think it took me 10-15mins to get to the summit of that one :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland