walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn a'Mhaim

Carn a'Mhaim

Postby gary » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 20/11/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had originally been planning to try Ben Chonzie as this was the first time my two friends had accompanied me on a walk and the first time one of them had done any serious walking and that looked like a gentle way to break them in but the weather forecast for that area was not great so we decided to head further north and this was one I had my eye on for a while.
We set off from Forfar about 6.40 and were making decent time up through Glen Isla when we realised we had a puncture. We got it changed quite quickly considering it was dark and were back on our way arriving at the car park at Linn of Dee at about 8.15 and were on our way for half past.The forecast for this area was spot on and it was remarkably mild for the time of year and no wind at all at this stage.
There is a decent path all the way and we were making good time so stopped for a look at Bob Scotts but there was someone there who we woke up i think, so we did not stay for long and headed on our way. It was a nice walk along the landrover track and there were many mountain bikes stowed away around about the rescue centre.
We soon arrived at the river crossing which we managed quite easily, we started to gain altitude after this and I noticed Eck, one of my friends was starting to slow down a bit whilst Craig, the other was marching on. I was stuck in between the two, we made decent progress until it started to get really steep but the path was good and well made so altitude was gained quite quickly and the view back along the glen was really great. A bit further up and I noticed Eck was struggling but he assured me he was o.k. I was beginning to think it was to much for him and maybe we should have looked a bit harder for a shorter walk. After a few stops we were soon at the more level section when the path goes to the left. It was just after here Eck was ready to give up and was wanting to wait for us on the descent but after a bit of encouragment he reluctantly agreed to keep going, it was another only another five minutes or so and we finally reached the summit, however the wind had really picked up and the clag moved in just in time for us getting there. It was bitterly cold so we only stopped long enough for a quite bite to eat and a few photos. The clag cleared for a few seconds now and then but never long enough for a good photo so we decided to head down to a more sheltered spot for another break. We followed the same route back, stopping now and again for a well earned and appreciated break and by the time we reached Derry lodge I was wishing one of those bikes I had seen earlier was mine. It felt a lot longer going back and I was starting to feel the effects on my legs, we all felt the same although I think Eck being a bit older felt it most but we were pleased he managed it in the end. We arrived back at the car park at 3.15 so it took just under seven hours which I thought was not to bad.
DSCF0770.JPG
DSCF0777.JPG
DSCF0782.JPG
DSCF0785.JPG
DSCF0783.JPG
DSCF0791.JPG
DSCF0797.JPG
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Re: Carn a'Mhaim

Postby porty » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 am

Nice one Gary. I did this walk a couple of weeks ago and couldn't see a thing from the top due to the clag. I just about got a glimpse of a Devils Flat Top but little else. I was in the same boat on the way back by wishing one of the bikes I saw on the day was mine and will definitely be taking it next time I park at the Linn of Dee.
porty
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi Gary

Glad you were able to get out with your friends and complete the walk! Good report and some lovely photos :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby gary » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks, cant complain about the weather really, it was superb for november.
gary
Mountain Walker

Postby taylor94 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Nice report. I remember Bob Scotts well. Nice wee place... pitty I never got to sleep in it lol :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it.
taylor94

Postby monty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Well done Gary. I still have this one to do some time so nice to see your photos. :D
monty

Postby gary » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks Monty, I had been looking forward to seeing Macdui and the surrounding hills with my own eyes but was not to be, hence no pictures of them. :(
Look forward to your report sometime :)

Yeah Darren, it does look better than a hole in the ground mate :lol:
gary
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland