walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Is this the boggiest hill ....ever

Is this the boggiest hill ....ever

by MarilynMunro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 19/11/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1025m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Is this the boggiest hill ....ever

Postby wolf1973 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:44 am

Yup Beinn Chabhair gets my vote, very squelchy!

Mmmmmm Jelly Babies of any discription, any Munro, Ooooooohh yeah! Sooooooo Nice! lol
wolf1973
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby xpfloyd » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:33 am

I done these two from the other side last week and found it a bit boggy going up the hill from glen falloch. Was going to go to chabhair this weekend but a few reports have put me off and the pic above was the nail in the coffin for that one :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby blueyed » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:22 pm

i vote for an casteal & beinn a'chroin path, especially the glen
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Postby MarilynMunro » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:14 pm

quoman wrote:Hi, Marilynmunro

I sure is a boggy at the start, but the boggiest hill ave done is Beinn Chabhair see pic

Ok,Ok you win, quoman, that looks awful :lol: :lol:

wolf1973 wrote:Yup Beinn Chabhair gets my vote, very squelchy!

Mmmmmm Jelly Babies of any discription, any Munro, Ooooooohh yeah! Sooooooo Nice! lol

Jelly Babies everytime mmmmmm :D

pollyh33 wrote:
pigeon wrote:Nasty :( think this is just a soggy big area ,the walk back in from Beinn a Chroin is the worst bog i've came across yet,no good likes :twisted:

I second that Pigeon :thumbup:

Although I must say its a close run thing with, er let me think, about 95% of my hills so far!!! :D

Sorry Polly, forgot about some or all of your exploits, I shoulda deferred to the in house expert :lol: :lol:

Malckyb wrote:We did Cruach Adrain a couple of weeks ago on a fine day. Great views and a fine hill..it's a bit of a slog though at parts and I certainly felt it after not having done a munro for a wee while.

We took pretty much the same route as you and found ourselves struggling for daylight and returning via the ridge would not be on, so after finding the small cairn we decided to drop down into the valley and follow the burn back to the landrover track...to say it was boggy is an understatement!!,the bog seemed to go on for miles before we reached the safety of the landrover track...its a pure quagmire..really treacherous walking and I was on my arse more than a few times :lol: ..certainly up there as the worst ground I have walked on.

We got back to the car in total darkness,knackered and covered in mud...was probably too big a walk for the amount of light available...an interesting day though.

Yeah Malcky That path was hideous, was so glad to see the landrover track at the bottom, lost count of how many times I nearly ended up in the burn.

Paula Hubens wrote:Well done for bagging these two in the limited time you had and the poor visibility.
I came up from Glen Falloch and it wasn't too boggy, but that was in June... I'm still to encounter my bog nemesis, I'm sure it will come and find me. :lol:

Thanks Paula, in hindsight I'm quite chuffed with my day out as it wasa bit of a slog, just a pity no views, but its always gonna be there, but I have so many others on my list. And I wouldn't worry about the bog factor I'm sure you'll catch up soon :lol:

In a little unscientific poll I thing Beinn Chabhair may be a winner, with that in mind it just fell of my list for now :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jwramsay » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:35 pm

An Caisteill was the boggiest for me!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland