walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

glen sheil south ridge

glen sheil south ridge

Postby corryhully » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 22/11/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

glen sheil south ridge has been one of my favourite ridge walks in the highlands. starting from cluanie inn (always good to start and finish at such a place) once there was a time when you could camp right outside, but no longer allowed. if camping , there is a place for about 2 tents just off the A87 besides allt a chaorainn mhoir and loch. take the road to cluanie lodge across the bridge at the end of loch cluanie. watch out for the path which cuts off from the road. from hear the ascent starts properly. when you get tired, remember that there is no ascent like this for the rest of the day. 1st munro craeg a mhaim. from here the views are mouth watering with the ridge stretching out before you. (weather permitting ) i personally prefer the hills not to be free of cloud. it adds to the feel. most of the ridge is quite wide, but just before Druim Shionnach it does get quite airy. if snowy 'get yeah crampons on' i hear there is a by pass path, but never noticed it. for awhile the going is easy , but the views to the north are stunning. next munro, Aonach air Chrith is great fun with nice bit of scrambling. nothing too technical but when you come down the other side and look back you will be thinking' no way have i just traversed that :-) views are fantastic down into coire nan eire cheanach. at one time we took the quick descent into the coire as darkness was coming. a good bit of bum ski-ing with ice axe breaks was done . i dont advocate this, but it is great fun . Maol Chinn-Dearg had disapeared in to the mist on ascent accompanied by some gusty winds. for a while it was a head down keep moving along the ridge. before long we topped Sgurr an Doire Leathain to be greeted by an inversion. it was axe down, bag off, camera out -- missed it :-( what we did get though was a piling up of the telltale green tinted cloulds. we have snow coming !great.
next along is Sgurr an Lochain. this is lovely mountain especially when snowtopped. and it sure was getting.
the next top sgurr beag has a by pass path, but is worth a visit. from here on the day of the photos we took our descent through am fraoch choire missing Creag nan Damh. but the descent was timely due to whiteout conditions.
the only drawback of this walk is the walk back to your base. but, well well worth it.Image
walking in
loch a mhaoil dhisnich
[img]http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2672/112/48/607482519/n607482519_1482484_2980252.jpg
[/img]
me
[imghttp://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2672/112/48/607482519/n607482519_1482486_4056644.jpg][/img]
some photos of south ridge taken from sgurr nan conbhairean the next day after the snow. great !
corryhully
Rambler

Munros:16   
Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:25   

Re: glen sheil south ridge

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Again some great pictures Corryhully. I particularly like the collage :D
Paula Hubens

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland