walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

return to the hills part 2, Oss and Dubhchraig

return to the hills part 2, Oss and Dubhchraig

Postby mrssanta » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 11/05/2010

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 1038m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the second day of our first proper expedition for years, and we were camped at the foot of Ben Lui at the upper end of Glen Cononish. we were up bright and early and away before 8am, I can hardly believe that now but the camera does not lie!
lui and tent.jpg

we could have taken a gentler route up the glen between ben Lui and Ben Oss, but this was much further and with no real path so instead decided to go directly up the shoulder in front of our campsite. We skirted round to the right of the north facing corrie you can see on the picture, no real problem here but it was pretty steep all the way up with no path. I think on a warmer day it might have been boggier, but it was not hard frost and not too bad at all.
oss and tent.jpg

Views across to Ben Lui and our route of the previous day.
lui from oss2.jpg

Once we got onto the top it was mighty cold and the weather not as clear as the start of the day, but great views all the same, here's me with views down to Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps. Time on camera 10.08, I must surely have forgotten to put the camera's clock forward!
top oss.jpg

From there we retraced our steps a little to get to the broad and complex ridge between ben Oss and bheinn Dhubhchraig.
ben dubhcraig.jpg

We found a nice sheltered place for a cup of tea, but were still very grateful for down jackets to put on.
The ridge has several wee lochans which looked very cold.
cold loch.jpg

A bit of weather looked like it wanted to come in from the East, but fortunately didnt come to very much
weather from dubhcraig.jpg

We reached the top at about 12.15 and it was lunch time in the excellent shelter built on the top.
I don't have a pic of me at the top for some strange reason.
After lunch we retraced our steps again for a bit to descend by the northern shoulder. that was a great walk down with excellent views, and again several small lochans
Looking northwards
off dubh.jpg

and looking across Eastwards towards Ben More and Stob Binnein
off dubhcraig.jpg

After a mile or so down this shoulder we struck off left, straight down the steep grassy slope towards Cononish Farm where there was a bridge across the river, and back towards our tent by the track.
I really enjoyed these two hills.
Here's a wee rowan tree holding its own on the steep slope
rowan tree on ben dubhcraig.jpg

The next morning we walked out back to Tyndrum and headed for another hill - but that will have to wait for another day as I have to go back to laying tiles on the bathroom floor now!!

oss(1).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland