walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

If my Granny can do it, so can I

If my Granny can do it, so can I

Postby mrssanta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 14/05/2010

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1480m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the last day of our week long camping and walking expedition and we weren't sure whether we had it in us to climb another mountain. the weather had taken a turn for the worse and we had been exhausted the night before, but after a night in the most comfortable bed in the world at the Crianlarich Hotel, and a lazy breakfast, we did feel a lot better.
We'd had several plans for what to do, and our intention was to have a nice easy day and go to the Visitor Centre under Cruachan, which I'm told is fascinating. But as we drove into Dalmally the sun came out and lit up the side of the Dalmally Horseshoe, and we were smitten! we couldnt resist going up.
Family legend has it that my Granny once climbed Cruachan when she was at school in Fort William in the twenties. She was a country lass from Ardnamurchan, but not a hillwalker by any means, and I have difficulty picturing her up there, probably wearing Sensible Shoes and a tweed skirt! So if she could do it, so could we!!
We took the usual route, setting off around noon, but up the left hand of the burn instead of the right. why? because that's the path we found! this was a steep climb up above Loch Awe initially through birch woods with the burn tumbling sometimes out of sight but never unheard. Beautiful.
First view of Cruachan dam, which is certainly impressive, although not very pretty.
Cruachan dam.jpg

Up along the left hand (west) bank of the loch, which was a welcome respite from steep climbing. then a left turn up the steep slope to the bealach between Meall Cuanail and Cruachan itself.
on way up.jpg

We stopped at the bealach for a wee bite of lunch before the final assault on the summit.
The summit cone itself was in cloud and was very rocky. It did feel like a long way up, but at last we were there, about 4 hours after setting off.
top cruachan again rotated.jpg

So not much of a stop there and we set off along the ridge where there was wet snow.
cruachan ridge.jpg

But soon the cloud lifted a bit and we were rewarded with lovely views over Loch Etive
lochetive.jpg

And an excellent rainbow, small but perfectly formed.
rainbow2.jpg

Views back to the summit and forward to Stob Damh were now available to us.
stob damh from ridge.jpg
looking back to summit.jpg

We reached the top of Stob Damh about six o'clock and kept going around the ridge and down the path to join the lochside again, by which time the sun was disappearing behind the horizon on the west side of the horseshoe.
burn and sun.jpg

Retracing our steps down to Loch Awe station from the dam, we were very pleased with our change of plan and had thoroughly enjoyed our return to the hills.
So that will be my last report for a while, until I get the chance to be out on them hills again. Hmm, where will it be?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: If my Granny can do it, so can I

Postby morag1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:11 pm

Ooooh, looks a very steep climb, well done for doing that

Your granny sounds quite a girl, so was mine :D

Love the "sun and burn" pic 8)
morag1

Postby mrssanta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks Morag. I still can't picture her up Cruachan. My outdoor pictures of Granny involve beaches and folding chairs mostly, but family legend also has it she was a dab hand at calving. Although she really would have us all believe she was sophisticated and polished.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby soulminer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:30 pm

Cruachan is such a splendid mountain, and the loop makes a fantastic day out :)
Grannies ehh! Mine had a stand up fight with a male neighbour :shock: Nobody picked on me as a child :lol:
A well earned two summits :)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby mrssanta » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:55 pm

thanks soulminer. We certainly thought it was a great walk. it's also a good hill to see from elsewhere and think "I've been up there!"
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland