walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monarch of the glen and sniffer dogs at work!

Monarch of the glen and sniffer dogs at work!

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 30/07/2007

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had half a day available so nipped down to Glen Spean to climb Beinn a Chaorainn. We'd done Beinn Teallach on a previous occasion and left Jack behind after he blotted his copy book running off after hares! :? No I don't mean we left him behind on Beinn Teallach - we left him behind at home and took just Tess as being a girl she's impeccably behaved :angel: unless she finds something dead to roll on but that's another story. :evil:

On this walk Jack seemed to have learned appropriate hill behaviour
P7300004s.JPG

No running off after hares!

Loch Treig and twin peaks of the Easains on right
P7300005-larges.jpg

Monarch of all he surveys
P7300006s.JPG

Most solicitous
P7300007s.JPG

Waiting patiently while we did the usual faffing with cameras
P7300008s.JPG

View from top to Creag Meagaidh with glimpse of Loch Laggan
hillwalks 2007 026s.jpg

Summit cairn
hillwalks 2007 028s.jpg

The poles in that last shot are Moira's as I'd left mine lying where we stopped for lunch and by the time I realised I didn't have them I couldn't be bothered going back. Reckoned it would be easy enough to find them on the way down - which was very stupid as how often do we retrace our steps exactly on the descent? :roll:

The way down
P7300009s.JPG

I kept thinking I might be seeing the rock we sat on a bit off the path but there were so many likely looking rocks it was like looking for a needle in the proverbial haystack. :?

But I didn't reckon on my trusty sniffer dogs. 8) After pretty much giving up hope of finding my poles I saw the dogs circling and wagging their tails furiously a bit off the path. On going over to investigate what all the canine excitement was about...... there were my poles right at the point they were doing all the tail wagging! :D

Jack certainly redeemed himself that day! :lol:

What sticks in my memory from climbing Beinn Teallach is that we didn't start until mid day so stopped for lunch not far into the walk on the edge of a plantation. I'd left Jack behind (for chasing hares at Drumochter and not coming back for 20 minutes! :shock:) and had just brought Tess. Tess is a mobile waste disposal unit and eats literally anything. She has a cast iron stomach but the side effects are not good for the atmosphere in the car on the journey home :twisted: so we buried our banana skins in a conveniently placed bog and kept her on the lead so she wouldn't dig them up and eat them.

Beinn Teallach summit
Hillwalks 2006 001.jpg

On the way back down after climbing the hill Tess headed for exactly the spot we'd had lunch, located the correct bog and dug up the banana skins! :lol:

The other thing I remember about this day was the clegs being a nuisance - all the worse as we were in shorts! :thumbdown:
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Monarch of the glen and sniffer dog too!

Postby soulminer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I think Santa may need to bring you some new boots for Christmas with the amount of ground you have covered recently :lol:
I'm sure the dogs are enjoying the fresh air just as much as you are :)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Did these two in the clag and most of the replys were from fellow walkers also doing them in clag so good to see you got a good day and to see what it looks like up there
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:54 pm

soulminer wrote:I think Santa may need to bring you some new boots for Christmas with the amount of ground you have covered recently :lol:
I'm sure the dogs are enjoying the fresh air just as much as you are :)
Cheers.

But Santa knows I didnae do all these walks recently - I've been cheating with reports of old yins! :lol:

Yep the dogs are still enjoying all the fresh air but Jack's starting to slow down a bit, being a middle aged chap. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Did these two in the clag and most of the replys were from fellow walkers also doing them in clag so good to see you got a good day and to see what it looks like up there

Just read your report and I see what you mean. :?

You'll need to get up there on a good day - some time when you have a few hours to spare. :D
dogplodder

Postby doogz » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Well done getting your poles back

I found this frustrating on a winters day with Soulminer....all the way to the big cairn and then trying to miss the cornices for the next 20 minsf following the coire rim to the summit ......INSIDE A PING PONG BALL :shock: For just about a kilometre

I knew there had once been a serious mountaineer guy setting out for the summit and walking with his mrs....zzzzzzp disappeared from her just two feet apart from each other ..luckily the coire was packed with deep soft snow and he slid to a stop fully ok
This in my head meant me and Dave tread careful out to the summit from the first cairn ...lol
And even more careful on the return with a group of folks we never saw until they were 10-12 feet away

All for the sake of 3 blinking metres of ascent

Be grateful for a nice grassy walkway Round the coire rim

Cheers
doogz

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:58 am

doogz wrote:
I knew there had once been a serious mountaineer guy setting out for the summit and walking with his mrs....zzzzzzp disappeared from her just two feet apart from each other ..luckily the coire was packed with deep soft snow and he slid to a stop fully ok

Yikes! That could have ended up so different. :shock:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Just got the one pic from climbing Beinn Teallach in 2006 so for the sake of completeness I've added it on to the report.
dogplodder

Re: Monarch of the glen and sniffer dogs at work!

Postby dogplodder » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Now I've found one of Moira at Beinn Teallach summit on the same day. :D

Hillwalks 2006 003.jpg
dogplodder

Re: Monarch of the glen and sniffer dogs at work!

Postby shredder » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:11 pm

Good story about the missing poles. Not so good (for you) about the banana skins! :lol:
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland