walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bheinn Bheigheir, Islay

Bheinn Bheigheir, Islay

Postby mrssanta » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Bheigier (Islay)

Date walked: 14/04/2010

Distance: 9.3 km

Ascent: 493m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I know I said that I'd not do another walk report for a while, but then I noticed there were none at all for this excellent hill. I've been up this hill lots of times, it's the highest point on Islay so you get great views. The last time I was there was in the Easter holidays 2010, on a family outing. Going is probably easiest at this time of year when the vegetation isn't too high, as there's no path although the way is easy enough to find.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The quickest and usual route up is from Claggain Bay on the south east coast of Islay. there is room for a few cars to park here and a track leads uphill from the East side of the Claggain River for about half a mile. it turns sharply to the left and crosses a burn, then ends. from here you just set off up the shoulder of the hill which takes you to the south east top, where there is a cairn.
From here the summit is about a mile to the northwest along a broad ridge of short heather and stones. It is topped by a cairn with a shelter around it, so it's a fine place for a picnic.
Return by the same route, enjoying views across to Kintyre and Ireland, with maybe some big ships in the North Channel, up to Jura, and if it's clear, the Arran hills.
031.JPG
Looking up to Bheinn Bheighier

184.JPG
South Top

185.JPG
also South Top

178.JPG
Trig point on the top

176.JPG
Walking along the ridge

042.JPG
Looking back along the ridge

179.JPG
Paps of Jura and Sound of Jura

187.JPG
Look how I found a bog, it was just big enough for one leg to go in.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Bheinn Bheigheir, Islay

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 am

It does look a lovely walk, after visiting Arran this year i hope to visit more islands next year and Isla is one of them so thanks for the post especially with it being the first on this hill. Like the mother/daughter summit pose, made me laugh :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland