walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Rinnes

Ben Rinnes

Postby fatal6ert » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 25/11/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 541m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All week the weather forecast had promised Sunshine though with high winds. Given the short days
IMG_0171.PNG
I decided to go for something close to home and thought Ben Rinnes followed by Corriehabbie Hill should be do-able.
IMG_0162.jpg
Corriehabbie Hill from just above Ben Rinnes Car Park
Well the sun didn't show up and the temperature took a dip overnight (though as it is November I can't complain)

Although the summit of Ben Rinnes could be seen on the drive towards Dufftown it was out of sight by the time I arrived with only Roy's hill being visible from below.
IMG_0165.jpg
Path up to Roy's Hill - Ben Rinnes Summit in cloud beyond
Set off from the car park at the bottom of Ben Rinnes at 09:10 and followed track that became less and less clear as height was gained and snow fall intensified.
IMG_0169.jpg
Snowing
Only wildlife seen was Grouse - though still a few around. Hung around at the summit for a while but views weren't up to much so went back down the same route.
IMG_0174.JPG
Summit
As I got lower it was clear that Corriehabbie Hill was also in cloud by now
IMG_0005.JPG
On the way down - you can just make out Tap O Noth and The Buck
so thought I would keep it until another day and retired to Dufftown for a bacon roll.

Trying out new shoes with a view to using them on the 2012 TGO challenge - performed well - feet stayed dry throughout and didn't slip even on icy rock.
IMG_0164.jpg
Suitable footwear? North Face Hedgehog XCR 3
Let me explain choice of footwear - I take a size 13-13.5 WHY DO SO FEW MANUFACTURERS SUPPLY ANYTHING ABOVE A 12???? THANK YOU NORTH FACE AND ALTBERG for making shoes/ boots in man sizes!

Sorry about quality of the photos - forgot my camera and had to rely on the i-Phone (also forgot trusty trekking poles :-( )
fatal6ert
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Ben Rinnes

Postby malky_c » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Certainly changed a bit over the last couple of days! I was on Carn Mor on Wednesday and there was no snow at all. Looked over to Ben Rinnes and thought I should probably go up it again.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:279   Hewitts:268
Wainwrights:122   Islands:38

Postby mrssanta » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:33 pm

fatal6ert wrote: WHY DO SO FEW MANUFACTURERS SUPPLY ANYTHING ABOVE A 12???? THANK YOU NORTH FACE AND ALTBERG for making shoes/ boots in man sizes!

Totally agree they also don't make ladies sizes above an 8. mens ones are wide wide.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:259   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:25 am

mrssanta wrote:Totally agree they also don't make ladies sizes above an 8. mens ones are wide wide.

I agree 100%, I'm unlucky to have to wear ladies boots size 9, no shop in Inverness stocks such size! :(

I was on Ben Rinnes almost exactly a year ago, the summit was covered in snow, a bit better weather though... It's a nice viewpoint and a good hill to do in winter.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:171
Grahams:121   
Sub 2000:55   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:38 pm

I like that dog. Maybe we could hit Corriehabbie hill together next time I'm in Pitmedden.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:123
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby fatal6ert » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:07 pm

kevsbald wrote:I like that dog. Maybe we could hit Corriehabbie hill together next time I'm in Pitmedden.

Sounds a good idea. Dog's getting on a bit now though she's still quicker than me :D
fatal6ert
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland