walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wind tunnel at Ben Lawers

Wind tunnel at Ben Lawers

Postby fipriestley » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:48 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 26/11/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Patches of snow out there today, but the real adventure was in beating the powerful winds! Not sure what the wind speed was, but on a 0-10 scale of 'can Fi stand upright' I'd say this bounced around 2-4 on the flat between these 2 summits but the army-crawl to get over the cairn on Ben Lawers (to lunch in the shelter on the other side) makes that point a -1 :lol:

Good paths throughout, and even saw a few other people - just one pair about to tackle Ben Lawers and another group who turned back. Glad we stuck it out, although my knees are now suffering from the early stages of bruising!

Didn't get any pics at the top; it was enough to concentrate on not getting blown away! Will upload pics from the start (which was before the heavy, nails-in-face rain started!) asap when I have more time.
fipriestley
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Wind tunnel at Ben Lawers

Postby mgmt! » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:39 pm

well done on getting anything done in those conditions.
mgmt!
Walker

Postby weebookil » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:35 pm

well done .. i enjoyed these two, but not in those conditions!
weebookil
Walker

Munros:245   Corbetts:1

Postby fipriestley » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks! I was pretty pleased with myself :D Pics don't justify the day's adventure though!
Attachments
IMAG0428.jpg
clear path
IMAG0431.jpg
clouds coming down, patches of snow around
IMAG0432.jpg
don't think this really counts as my first winter snow walk!
fipriestley
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland