walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Girl vs Wild

Girl vs Wild

by Mountainlove » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 27/11/2011

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 1559m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Girl vs Wild

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Good report and cracking pics, really like the second one "Sun" it has a heavenly feel to it :D
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby iainwatson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:49 pm

nice report!
good to see someone else enjoys the worst of the elements as much as i do,well done! :)
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Clach Liath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:51 pm

I made exactly the same mistake as you once - taking the ridge towards A'Chrois off Narnain. Trouble was by the time I found this out I was emerging from the cloud almost in Glen Loin. So I had a long and squelchy walk out around the foot of A'Chrois. :( And I had a map with me, I just forgot to use it :lol:
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby johnrkendall » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Love these hills mountainlove, like a second home.

Battling nature with only your wits is the kind of raw hillwalking/mountaineering that i love aswell.

Great report!!! :thumbup:
johnrkendall
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:36 pm

I agree with Soulminer and others, you should take a map and compass and crampons and ice axe in conditions like these if you didn't have them . That said i enjoyed the report and you obviously have a guardian angel looking over you.

Caberfeidh wrote:Map/schmap... I don't think a map would have much of a life-expectancy on a blustery day like that. Far better to know the area and keep it in your head.
doogz wrote: mapless how would you have descended
... By going downwards - that's the key to descending! :lol:

Is that not what waterproof map cases are for?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby doogz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:
doogz wrote: mapless how would you have descended
... By going downwards - that's the key to descending! :lol:

Yes ...indeed ...we have a comedy giant in our midst.....

You take half the quote and make a joke

Remember I was within a mile of this lucky girl....at 14 stone almost..I found it difficult to remain standing still on the summit area of The Cobbler and moving over snowy/ icy boulders with the hail needling your face On the way back to the staircase interesting

I stand by my statement with snow/ hail and low cloud how would she have descended if you had no map and compass or idea of contours to give indication of severity of slope

Luckily the weather cleared

I will post u a photo of the conditions which ML was on Narnain/A Chrois subject to her times posted

I have been up the cobbler /Narnain and Ime in all vagaries of weather many times

Doogz
doogz

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:27 pm

well done Love, i was up A`Chrois last monday and didnt have a nice day, no views at all. People used to warn me about walking solo and not taking maps or taking maps and not USING them, can`t believe i can hear myself sending you the same warnings, take care up there ya mad wummin :)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm

spiderman wrote:What a hellova walk in these conditions.Your love of being out in the hills is inspirational. These three hills make for a good walk under normal conditions but in gale force winds it is exceptional. You must have taken some buffeting crossing from Narnain to A'Chrois. The path you came down at the end is the Succoth path which used to be a popular way up to A'Chrois and Narnain but is little used now.
I am going to get great pleasure pointing out what you did to my hairy, hard mountain men companions who at the suggestion in the forcast of a 40 mph wind on the summits will cancel a weekend walk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you...lol didnt know my love for the hills is an inspiration...but I like that!
Thank you for sharing your knowledge about the path...I was wondering about that. I guess your hairy, hard mountain men will have a hard time to come up with excuses next time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caberfeidh wrote:Excellent photies of an impressive place, great weather to be out for a wander! How do you keep your camera from freezing up?

I quite agree...nothing beats a wee breeze :D
Regarding my camera I was lucky so far...never had it freezing up...I usually keep it in a plastic bag wrapped in the middle of my spare jumper I always take along. But friends of mine had a video camera which didnt worked over 5000m...something I never heard about but supposingly if you venture really high thats something you need to look out for (some cameras are compatible some are not) Apart from that I could only suggest to keep it close to the body (for bodyheat)

Regarding your quote "... By going downwards - that's the key to descending!"
Very wise... :D

iainwatson wrote:nice report!
good to see someone else enjoys the worst of the elements as much as i do,well done! :)

Awww nice to know there are like minded people :D :D :D

Clach Liath wrote:I made exactly the same mistake as you once - taking the ridge towards A'Chrois off Narnain. Trouble was by the time I found this out I was emerging from the cloud almost in Glen Loin. So I had a long and squelchy walk out around the foot of A'Chrois. :( And I had a map with me, I just forgot to use it :lol:

Lol I see how you got down to Glen Loin...it seemed the easier route...but I didnt fancy the long way back to the car...yeah I have done that as well...taking a map and not using it... :lol:

I will post u a photo of the conditions which ML was on Narnain/A Chrois subject to her times posted

Would like to see your photos too doogz!

tomyboy73 wrote:well done Love, i was up A`Chrois last monday and didnt have a nice day, no views at all. People used to warn me about walking solo and not taking maps or taking maps and not USING them, can`t believe i can hear myself sending you the same warnings, take care up there ya mad wummin :)

Lol I hope I dont hear myself saying that to someone in the future :lol: But you are right!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby daveh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Hey ML have you seen the forecast for tomorrow? I reckon your kind of weather and looking forward to the report 8)
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby magicdin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Mountainlove - I reckon you are hiding your light under a bushel - you are more experienced than you make out
The Scottish Hills may seem a bit tame in comparison to other places in the world
But they can be and are killers - never to be treated with disdain

David
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:15 pm

daveh wrote:Hey ML have you seen the forecast for tomorrow? I reckon your kind of weather and looking forward to the report 8)

Lol unfortunately I have to work tomorrow...but looking forward already for my 5k lunchtime walk :roll: :shifty: :shock: :lol: :lol:

magicdin wrote:Mountainlove - I reckon you are hiding your light under a bushel - you are more experienced than you make out
The Scottish Hills may seem a bit tame in comparison to other places in the world
David

Hi David...yeah was just thinking about last year when I hiked/climbed up chola pass (5400m) with the danger of huge rocks melting of the cliff/glacier and crashing down to the path...I had to be at the top by 10am to be save and the hike combined with 50% less oxigen was pretty challenging....saying that at the time I was pretty mad at my guide who managed to **** me off the day before hand...its incredible how quick you can march on when you are annoyed :lol: :lol:
But saying that...you always have to respect the mountains...regardless the size
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby magicdin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Mountainlove wrote:
daveh wrote:Hey ML have you seen the forecast for tomorrow? I reckon your kind of weather and looking forward to the report 8)

Lol unfortunately I have to work tomorrow...but looking forward already for my 5k lunchtime walk :roll: :shifty: :shock: :lol: :lol:

magicdin wrote:Mountainlove - I reckon you are hiding your light under a bushel - you are more experienced than you make out
David

Hi David...yeah was just thinking about last year when I hiked/climbed up chola pass (5400m) with the danger of huge rocks melting of the cliff/glacier and crashing down to the path...I had to be at the top by 10am to be save and the hike combined with 50% less oxigen was pretty challenging....saying that at the time I was pretty mad at my guide who managed to **** me off the day before hand...its incredible how quick you can march on when you are annoyed :lol: :lol:
But saying that...you always have to respect the mountains...regardless the size

Yes I was right after all - so why do you have to portray yourself as a bumbling amateur in the Scottish Hills -Disdain ?
magicdin
Rambler

Postby daveh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Ml hopefully I will be up there over next few days
But I am rubbish with the camera.I admire your bottle and sometimes pushing the boundaries increases your experince.
Remember the first rule is don't fall off!
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby magicdin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:33 pm

daveh wrote:Ml hopefully I will be up there over next few days
But I am rubbish with the camera.I admire your bottle and sometimes pushing the boundaries increases your experince.
Remember the first rule is don't fall off!

I have been there a few times myself - with a camera
magicdin
Rambler

Postby magicdin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 pm

magicdin
Rambler

24 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland