walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich

Postby Stug » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 27/11/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.46 km

Ascent: 871m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked the car on the verge on the bank of Loch Earn and set out at 9.25am on a very windy day.
There were a 4 or 5 cars there already and we left following a couple of other guys who were just up ahead of us.
As we passed through a couple of gates near the farm we got a very nice view of Ben Vorlich and what lay ahead of us.
DSC_0328.jpg
Early view of Ben Vorlich

Weather was mostly clear and the wind had died down a bit as we got some shelter from the surrounding hills.
DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg
View back down towards Loch Earn

DSC_0338.jpg

Walk up was fairly uneventfull but it was enjoyable, the path was good early on.
After a brief stop for a drink we ploughed on as the smaller hills dropped away at the sides and the full force of the wind hit us giving us a stark reminder of how strong it was!
At this stage we passed 2 guys on the way down with bright red, wind burned faces and red, streaming eyes. They advised us to turn around as they thought over the last ridge was so exposed, it was bordering on dangerous.
DSC_0339.jpg
Last ridge and final push to summit

We took some shelter in a small ditch and had a cup of hot tea and a sandwich and had a wee debate on what to do next.
2 other guys came across and said they weren't going to go any further and along with their dog (who tried to steal Doug's sausage butty!) headed back down.
DSC_0340.jpg
Just see the cairn on the summit, nae far now!

As we could see the finish line, we decided to have a go.
As we left the ditch and walked up over the final ridge the wind was trying to blow us off our feet but we kept going.
We passed a further 3 guys on their way back saying they too were calling it a day, but we just carried on, and actually it wasn't as bad as we first thought.
We made it up and took a couple of photos, then the snow shower started and visability started to get slightly worse.
DSC_0347.jpg
A happy Sean and Doug as the snow starts

DSC_0348.jpg
Doug and Myself

We hightailed it back down and within 10 minutes the sun had already started to poke through again.
The way down was slightly tricky as the snow/drizzle has made everything skiddy and Doug took a wee tumble catching his chin on a rock. (the rock was ok!)
DSC_0354.jpg

After making it back to the car and a change into nice clean clothes we headed into Comrie for a well deserved Bowl of soup/toasties.
Thoroughly enjoyable day!!
Stug
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   

Re: Ben Vorlich

Postby weebookil » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 pm

well done guys in getting out in such a windy day :)
weebookil
Mountaineer

Munros:245   Corbetts:1

Postby Fudgie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:38 pm

You got better weather on it than I did. It's another one for me to go back and do on a better day :(
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Grahams:3   Donalds:7

Postby quoman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Stug.

Well done in that wind :thumbup: ,This was my first solo hill in january this year the wind was blowin hard then to.
Attachments
WR2.jpg
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Grahams:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Stug » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks quoman.

The wind just made it that bit more of an achievment.
Only my third hill, but think i'm hooked! :D
Stug
Munro compleatist

Postby quoman » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Stug wrote:Thanks quoman.

The wind just made it that bit more of an achievment.
Only my third hill, but think i'm hooked! :D

Thats awe i think about where to go when am days off :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Grahams:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Stug,
We also done Ben Vorlich on its own but it was in a snowstorm. I wore glasses at the time and they froze over and I was lead man hahaha. I could barely see. Some nice photos. Well done on braving it. :D
monty

Postby Stug » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks monty.

I do find myself on this website very frequently checking routes for our next walk!
Looking at walks that include 2 or 3 munros for our next outing I think, maybe push ourselves a wee bit more.
Stug
Munro compleatist

Postby craighall » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:22 pm

Congratulations on the walk, and on some nice photos.

I remember when I did Ben Vorlich, being surprised at how ' informal ' the car parking was, thinking it was one of the ' A list ' of Munros.

Michael.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Postby Stug » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:27 pm

craighall wrote:Congratulations on the walk, and on some nice photos.

I remember when I did Ben Vorlich, being surprised at how ' informal ' the car parking was, thinking it was one of the ' A list ' of Munros.

Michael.

Yeah, we might well of kept on driving if there wasn't three or four cars parked on the verge to give us a clue!

Very enjoyable walk though.

Considering the wind buffeting the camera about i'm quite happy with the few pics I got, cheers.
Stug
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland