walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Burghead to Hopeman: wind beneath my wings!

Burghead to Hopeman: wind beneath my wings!

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Route description: Burghead and Clarkly Hill

Date walked: 27/11/2011

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 9.4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the third week in a row we walked the Moray Coast. Weather was very unsettled with strong winds and not the best of conditions for taking pictures, but we still gave it a go. This time it was the last fragment of coast between Findhorn and Lossiemouth that we haven't explored so far: the path from Burghead to Hopeman.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Earlier this year we walked from Hopeman to Lossiemouth and back and really enjoyed this particular stretch of east coast - plenty of spots to lurk around! I hoped that Burghead to Hopeman would be just as good an adventure - and it was though for slightly different reasons :lol: :lol:
We started in the town of Burghead itself. There is free car park opposite the caravan site on the western edge of the village. As we arrived, we were hit both by strong wind and the sea spectacle. We've been to Burghead many times before (Kevin goes there almost every day as this is a part of his delivery area :lol: :lol: ) but it was the first time we witnessed the nasty face of the nature here. The tide was at its highest point and waves splashed over the walls. There was a salty taste to the air and the light was poor... Though it was the middle of the day, it still looked and felt like sunset time:
The attack of the waves!
We walked to the port. At some point I came too close to the wall and got showered :lol: :lol: The wind was getting even stronger and keeping the camera steady while taking pics became quite a challenge...
The port:
A boat for sale:
Windy but atmospheric:
We climbed the stony steps to the white building of the Visitors center and the pictish fort site. We somehow managed to get there without being blown over (or off the cliffs :shock: ). Views from above were well worth the windy struggle:
The building of the Visitors center:
Looking east towards Hopeman:
As we descended from the fort, the wind eased off. The route goes along the coast on a track first, then a good path. We passed by the biggest building in Burghead, the maltings plant. No free warming samples though... And they would have been useful!
Past the plant, some wild coast, still furiously charged by waves:
The path goes along the dismantled railway:
The wind beneath my wings?... Wish I could fly?... Or maybe I'm just bonkers! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The old railway track gave us good walking. We took a couple of short detours on to the dunes, to get better views of the coastline:
Sea stacks:
On the path:
Eventually we reached the western side of Hopeman. We turned left from the caravan park and straight to the western beach. The tide has already turned and waves weren't as big but still weather was stormy:
Looking back to Burghead from Hopeman, the maltings plant taking the center stage:
I was happy I didn't forget my hat and gloves - it was a cold experience!
We crossed the little beach and popped in to the port:
Waves still splashing salty water, I avoided getting too close to the edge:
To pick up the path on the way back, we turned right into Drummuir Street and then between the houses. Soon we were on the old railway track again, on the return route to Burghead.
It was slowly getting dark but we still took some more photies:
Shame about the weather, but we still enjoyed the experience :D
At home, I checked all our recent (and old) coastal walks in Moray and it looks like we've done most of it. Still I'd like to venture further east past Portsoy 8) And there are places along the coast (like Findlater castle or Bow & Fiddle rock) worth more than one visit!
Findhorn to Burghead along the beach is a fantastic walk, especially in good weather. We walked it a few times, last time in March this year, but I completely forgot to post a TR. I'll have to dig up my photos from that day and add this report to my diary.

P.S. I wasn't sure where this TR should be linked. It is a small part of Moray Coast Trail, but I attached it to "Clarkly Hill Circular (Burghead)" WH walk description, although it only covers part of this route. I hope it's in the right place 8)
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:172
Grahams:123   
Sub 2000:56   

Re: Burghead to Hopeman: wind beneath my wings!

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Nice to see a report of this stretch of coast.
Lots of climbing routes at Cummingston (sandstone cliffs).
foggieclimber

Re: Burghead to Hopeman: wind beneath my wings!

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Another good report of a nice area :)
Looks like a good choppy sea that day. Reminds me of the last time I was at Roseisle, it was so windy I only got one legible photo:
P8270261.JPG
Roseisle storm

I've got several walks from around Findhorn, Roseisle and Hopeman I'll also be adding at some point if I ever get on to it. A wee taster:
P7170162.JPG
Hopeman

P7160023.JPG
Roseisle Jellyfish

P6250128.JPG
Findhorn

P6250156.JPG
Findhorn
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland