walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Anyone know about wee cairn by big cairn on "That Yin"?

Anyone know about wee cairn by big cairn on "That Yin"?

Postby dogplodder » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 22/07/2010

Distance: 16 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few years ago I borrowed someone's copy of Hamish Brown's book "Hamish's Mountain Walk" in which he describes climbing all the Munros over a continuous three month period. It was a good read - especially the bits describing hills I'd done - and some things about ones I'd not done stayed stuck in my mind until I got round to doing them. It was like that with Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Coire Easain - which Hamish referred to as "This Yin" and "That Yin". :D

This yin and that yin (on right of Loch Treig) from Beinn a Chaorainn
P7300009s.JPG

hillwalks 2007 021.jpg

We drove down the Great Glen, along the A86 and turned off on the minor road, which goes past the house where Rudolf Hess was reputedly imprisoned, to the tiny hamlet of Fersit. We parked at the north end of the pretty Dubh Lochan and got ourselves organised for the off. Our first sighting of this yin and that yin was of their heads in the cloud but by the time we'd reached any height the cloud had cleared and we were in for a beautiful day. :D

We decided to follow the Walkhighlands route south west heading up to the minor summit of Creag Fhinaclach, crossing the line of the old tramway from Loch Treig to Fort William. We were almost immediately in difficulty as a newish barbed wire fence bars the way which we couldn't get the dogs over without risking hurting them. Anthony managed to get over but I stayed on the north side with the dogs and followed the fence along to the west looking for a way through or across. This involved forging a way through bracken and wasn't the best start to the day. :? Eventually we found a place we could get the dogs over and took a south east line to find the path up the ridge. It was pretty soggy underfoot. All in all I decided this was not the route we would be returning by! 8)

As we gained height views opened up of fiord-like Loch Treig in its deep trench between the Easians and the bulk of Stob Coire Sgriodain to the east.

Loch Treig
DSC01325-larges.jpg

Fersit from Creag Fhinaclach
DSC01326-larges.jpg

We followed the path up the long ridge to Meall Cian Dearg
DSC01327-larges.jpg

Dogs fall into line
DSC01329-larges.jpg

Grey Corries to the west
DSC01330-larges.jpg

DSC01331-larges.jpg

Stob Ban of the Grey Corries
DSC01332-larges.jpg

There was a bit of hands on up some craggy bits near the top of Meall Cian Dearg and once we topped out we had a wee breather to take in the views.

View east from Meall Cian Dearg to Loch Laggan and Creag Meagaidh group
DSC01335-larges.jpg

View north west
DSC01336-larges.jpg

Looking down the ridge to the east
DSC01337-larges.jpg

Ben Nevis (on right) from top of Stob a Coire Mheadhoin (this yin)
DSC01338-larges.jpg

Excited dogs (wanting their carrots!) on top of this yin
DSC01340-larges.jpg

Nice view of north western hills from here
DSC01341-larges.jpg

Steep path from col up Stob Coire Easain (that yin)
DSC01342-larges.jpg

View from top of that yin
DSC01343-larges.jpg

DSC01344-larges.jpg

Ben Nevis
DSC01346-larges.jpg

View south to Rannoch Moor and Glencoe
DSC01347-larges.jpg

Jack the lad's turn
DSC01348-larges.jpg

We sat for a while drinking in the suberb views and enjoying a leisurely lunch. It was while we were there I spotted the tiny carefully made cairn beside the huge summit cairn. I wondered if it was a memorial to someone who loved these hills and if their ashes were scattered here... but maybe there's another explanation known to someone on here? You can see the wee cairn by the big cairn in the pic below.

Wee cairn by big cairn on Stob Coire Easain
DSC01351-larges.jpg

View west from col
DSC01353-larges.jpg

Reascent of this yin on the return
DSC01354-larges.jpg

We decided to return the way we came but to take the steep path off Meall Cian Dearg down to the track by Loch Treig. I think this was preferable to running the gauntlet of the soggy path and the barbed wire fence. It was a bit of a slog along the road back to the car but easy walking and we couldn't complain after having such a perfect day! :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Anyone know about wee cairn by big cairn on "That Yin"?

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Dogplodder you fairly getting round the munros. Your dogs must get some exercise
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:54 pm

rocket-ron wrote:Dogplodder you fairly getting round the munros. Your dogs must get some exercise

Ah but RR I did this one last year :lol: but yeah the dogs certainly get their exercise and they love it! :D Just noticed you're one ahead of me but you'll be streaking away now as I don't do Munros in winter. :(
dogplodder

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:58 pm

Yeah am only 1 a head of you. I will do a few over winter but not many. How long have you been at this hill walking for
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Always enjoy your reports dogplodder. Some lovely pics there. Really like seeing your dogs in the pics. They look like they realy enjoy themeselves. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:28 pm

rocket-ron wrote:Yeah am only 1 a head of you. I will do a few over winter but not many. How long have you been at this hill walking for

Hill walking about 40 years but munro bagging on and off over past 12 years.

So not exactly doing them fast :lol: and with no realistic hope of completing. (Can anyone tell me why it's spelt "compleating" when used in relation to munros?)
dogplodder

Postby morag1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Really like this report and always great to see your dogs out on the hillside :D

rocket-ron wrote:Dogplodder you fairly getting round the munros. Your dogs must get some exercise

I second that, feel sure you will go on to compleat them all (no, dont know why its spelt that way :( )
morag1

Postby Fudgie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Although I only have 11 to choose from, they have been my favourites so far.I did them in weather similar to yourself and enjoyed every minute.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Bod » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:13 am

NIce one and what a lovely day! Cannae wait for more of these :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby magicdin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 am

dogplodder wrote:
rocket-ron wrote:
So not exactly doing them fast :lol: and with no realistic hope of completing. (Can anyone tell me why it's spelt "compleating" when used in relation to munros?)

explanation here http://www.smc.org.uk/Munros/ - SMC of course

As for the cairn - don't know - but some people just seem to need to mark their passing
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:43 am

Jock McJock wrote:Always enjoy your reports dogplodder. Some lovely pics there. Really like seeing your dogs in the pics. They look like they realy enjoy themeselves. :D

Thanks Jock, they really do. When they see me putting my gear out the night before they're so excited they can hardly sleep! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 am

morag1 wrote:Really like this report and always great to see your dogs out on the hillside :D

I second that, feel sure you will go on to compleat them all (no, dont know why its spelt that way :( )

Morag I'd love to do them all but at the speed I'm going I'd be compleating when I'm in my 70s. Plus it's the more remote ones I've still to do. I'll just be happy getting as many as I can. Hopefully I'll manage a few more yet! :D
dogplodder

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Yippee Kathleen, another cracker!!!

I love the way you simplify your description of the walk, it makes for very easy enjoyable reading :D :D

Your photos are so so good, the views are amazing but alas the one of dogs eagerly awaiting their carrots is the best :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Fudgie wrote:Although I only have 11 to choose from, they have been my favourites so far.I did them in weather similar to yourself and enjoyed every minute.

I agree, they're a great pair of hills and I was a bit surprised how little effort is needed between them! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Bod wrote:NIce one and what a lovely day! Cannae wait for more of these :D

Thanks Bod. There's nothing like a run of grey days to make us really appreciate our blue sky hill pics! :lol:
dogplodder

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland