walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Arthur aka The Cobbler

Ben Arthur aka The Cobbler

Postby missMHK » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 30/08/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sun 30th Aug 2009 - Mackie & I decided to have a go at The Cobbler on our way home from Glencoe. Maybe my legs were a bit heavy from the previous day's exertions on the Pap of Glencoe (that's my excuse!) but I found the first section really hard going. As well as being very steep, I also found the path very boring & monotonous.

Pap of Glencoe & The Cobbler 053.jpg

The second section walking up the side of the river with the summit in sight was a massive improvement. When the path forked we decided to hang left - I heard someone refer to it as the 'corrie' side but I'm not sure if this is the correct term? Anyway, everyone else must have decided to take the right hand path as we found ourselves alone until we reached the summit - which was nice! I really enjoyed this section, even though as we scrambled up the gully it got wetter, windier and mistier.

Pap of Glencoe & The Cobbler 055.jpg

By the time we reached the summit visibility was really poor, we checked out the peaks & then made our descent down the steps to the Ben Ime path where we pretty much jogged our way back to the car. Apart from the horrible zig-zag path section at the beginning I enjoyed climbing The Cobbler itself & would like to do it again one day when visibilty is more than 10ft!

Pap of Glencoe & The Cobbler 060.jpg

A special mention has to be made of the young lady I saw making her descent down the path wearing hipster, ripped jeans, white trainers & carrying a pink handbag.. classic!! Fair play though because somehow she looked immaculate - I on the other hand was covered in mud, had sweat running into my eyes & my hair had formed itself into a funky afro!

Yours,
missMHK
missMHK

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Re: Ben Arthur aka The Cobbler

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:05 am

Yes, that first bit of new path up the Cobbler is very annoying isn't it? with all those zig-zags....

Conditions at the top didn't look so great for the ripped jeans and pick handbag :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Arthur aka The Cobbler

Postby mountain coward » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 am

I saw the very same woman I'm sure - she was doing Striding Edge and Swirral Edge on Helvellyn! Trainers and a handbag - closely attended by boyfriend. I was seething at the time as, although she was obviously terrified, she got round and I was sat being afraid at the top of Swirral Edge and didn't do it. I've done it since though which proves that time and experience make me slightly less of a mountain coward...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland