walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

100mph winds? Don’t think so....it was a lie in for me!

100mph winds? Don’t think so....it was a lie in for me!

Postby PeteR » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Route description: White Coomb by the Grey Mare's Tail

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: White Coomb

Date walked: 27/11/2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Catching up on walk reports again......this one’s for Sunday 27 November, not the winter wonderland that some of you have enjoyed the weekend just gone (Christmas shopping for me :( :( ), but a good wee walk all the same. Forecast winds of 100mph+ for this particular weekend didn’t bode well for the toupee. Plays havoc with the Velcro fastening you see :lol: :lol:

So, rather than suffer the usual 2.30a.m. Sunday morning alarm I decided to take advantage of a wee lie in, to 8.10 a.m.no less, and head south (or what we like to refer to where I come from as ‘saaarrff’).

The hill of choice today was White Coomb, via the circuit route suggested on WH starting at the Grey Mare’s falls. Due to a slight oversight at Moffat went the wrong way and was heading back north (or what I like to call ‘norf’). Eventually got myself sorted and arrived at the Grey Mare’s car park just before 11.30a.m. A bit breezy, but with plenty of blue sky I was thinking a god choice had been made. Overall I wasn’t disappointed either.

Even from the car park the views look great and just a short walk up the excellent path beside the falls gives good views down Moffat water and also the falls themselves
DSCF5332.JPG
The start of the day at the car partk

DSCF5333.JPG
River crossing.....via bridge :)

DSCF5335.JPG
View down Moffat water

DSCF5339.JPG
Grey Mare's Tail

DSCF5342.JPG
Another view of the Tail

DSCF5346.JPG
The excellent path up by the Tail

Arriving at the top of the falls and the path levels off nicely, following alongside the Tail Burn to the lovely Loch Skeen. There was a fair amount of water flowing down the burn, and I was realising that at some point a little later on I would be needing to cross this gentle flowing stream :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:
DSCF5363.jpg
The Tail Burn

DSCF5372.jpg
Drumlins and view toward Mid Craig

DSCF5377.jpg
White water on the Tail Burn......gulp :)

Oh well, that was for later.

At Loch Skeen the views toward Mid Craig and Loch Craig were pretty good 8)
DSCF5382.jpg
Loch Skeen view 1

DSCF5383.jpg
Loch Skeen view 2

At the Loch I should apparently have found a path taking me slightly to the right of the Loch and picking up a fence line and dry stone wall. For some reason though I ended up following a rather boggy path alongside the Loch itself. It was a nice walk though, being right next to the Loch, but eventually I got fed up of the bog and decided to work my way over the boggy heather to pick up the path I should have been on alongside the wall and fence. Things improved from here, but there were still plenty of patches of bog to navigate.

Then came the steepest section of the day, although in reality it’s a teeny weenie little section and soon enough the path was swinging to the top of Loch Craig. Great views south and east :D :D
DSCF5389.jpg
The steep bit

At this point I probably had the strongest winds of the day, but never anything to compare with what was forecast for the Highlands. Blinkin’ cold though all the same and my pinkies were certainly feeling it when removed from my trooser pockets to take photos (yes, I did have gloves but didn’t feel inclined to stop and put them on). I was certainly happy to be avoiding any great adventure in the North this weekend, that was for sure.

From Loch Craig all the way round to White Coomb was a fantastic, relaxed stravaig :D :D :D No pressure and I was just wandering along and enjoying the views as I headed over Firthybrig Head , Donald’s Cleuch Head and Firthope Rig 8) 8) 8)
DSCF5392.jpg
View from Lochcraig Head 1

DSCF5395.jpg
View from Lochcraig Head 2

DSCF5408.jpg
View back to Lochcraig Head as I was a wanderin'

DSCF5420.jpg
Ahead to White Coomb

DSCF5422.jpg
More views on my wandering

DSCF5423.jpg
View back the way I had come

Given the late start the sun was dropping out the sky eventually, but all this was doping was adding to the quality of the views as I was heading toward the Corbett summit and the moated cairn.
DSCF5427.jpg
View north east as I was walking along to Donald Cleuch Head

DSCF5445.jpg
The sun starting to descend in the sky

DSCF5452.jpg
And another one

DSCF5459.jpg
The moated cairn of White Coomb :)

DSCF5464.jpg
The setting sun effect ....... wished I'd have been on the summit still as I reckon the view from the top would have been great

There seemed to be a higher point a little away from the cairn so I dutifully made my way over to check it out. Looking back at the cairn that suddenly looked to be higher than the point I was standing at :? :? How often does that happen, eh :lol:

By now it was ‘brass monkeys’ on the top so I was quickly making my way down via Rough Craigs. A very easy, but interesting descent. Ended up on my backside once again, adding another bum slide to my increasingly varied repertoire :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF5472.jpg
Route down Rough Craigs

DSCF5477.jpg
Back toward Rough Craigs

The route followed the line of the dry stone wall which I had been following round in the circuit fro Loch Skeen. This brought me to the side of Tail Burn just above one of the small :wtf: falls above the Grey Mare’s Tail. No chance of crossing at that point, but the path seemed to be heading back up stream, so I dutifully followed. After a while I was thinking I could be back at Loch Skeen and still find nowhere suitable to cross the burn. The water was pretty fast flowing and was clearly pretty deep too. Eventually I thought to myself “If I’m gonna get wet feet at some point then I’m gonna get wet feet at some point, so here’s as good a place as any to get wet feet”. So I simply launched myself into the water :lol: :lol: :lol:

And yes........I got wet :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knee deep at worst, but I was in and over the other side in next to no time. The right boot did ok and the foot wasn’t too wet. Left boot didn’t fair quite so well.......and the result was a very wet foot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Never mind, I was on the correct side of the Burn and now it was just a quick walk back down to the car, where I could get out of my very wet sock.

For me this was a quick walk and pretty easy too, but a really good one all the same. And the lie in was just a bonus :D :D Missed walking this weekend due to Christmas shopping duties :( :( , but hopefully normal service can be resumed soon enough – I’ve got plans for more 2.30a.m. Sunday mornings before the year’s oot :D :D :D
PeteR
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:156
Grahams:88   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:176   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: 100mph winds? Don’t think so....it was a lie in for me!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks for posting.

Reminded me of when doing this in winter few years back.

Isnt the surprise of Loch Skeen fab?

Great spot to have a bite to eat.

Great TR....even if on the short side :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:256   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Enjoyed reading your report and some brilliant views in all directions :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:156   

Postby fazerneil » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 pm

good report, we were there back in Summer(ish) and did same walk up until descending from White Coombe, I couldn't tell you which path we came down but ended up back at Loch Skeen as I was unsure of crossing points and didn't want wet boots for entire long weekend.
fazerneil
Rambler

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:30   

Postby pigeon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm

That looked good pete,got this down for a winter walk so could be heading down that way soon 8)
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:94
Grahams:38   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby tamw51 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Great place, was there in january and the whole place had a slight sprinkling of snow was braw loved loch skene!good stuff! :D
tamw51
Rambler

Munros:148   Corbetts:7
Grahams:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Nice one, Pete. Little less awkward for you from Carrickshire.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:117
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland