walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A pre-Christmas cracker

A pre-Christmas cracker

by joenorris » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Route description: An Socach from Glen Clunie

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar)

Date walked: 10/12/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15.6 km

Ascent: 884m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A pre-Christmas cracker

Postby sallyduthie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:55 pm

How lucky were you with your weather? I was up there yesterday in a total whiteout with no views. My first winter munro. Quite an adventure. How I wish our views had been like yours. That would have been the icing on the cake. However I'm glad I could look at your photos to see how fantastic it was.
sallyduthie
Mountaineer

Munros:74   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby benno » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:45 pm

How do you always get the good weather when I'm not around!?

I notice G in a couple of the photies - that must be his 3rd time on An Socach - did he finally go to the right summit this time?! :lol:
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby joenorris » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:45 pm

sallyduthie wrote:How lucky were you with your weather? I was up there yesterday in a total whiteout with no views. My first winter munro. Quite an adventure. How I wish our views had been like yours. That would have been the icing on the cake. However I'm glad I could look at your photos to see how fantastic it was.

I know - it was very lucky indeed. This was two days after hurricane-force winds had battered half of Scotland as well, it felt a bit too good to be true! I think our luck balances out over time - I'm sure next winter you'll have the great weather while I'm stuck in a whiteout somewhere.

benno wrote:How do you always get the good weather when I'm not around!?

I've never quite figured that out. To be fair, you have just been chilling in the Caribbean sun for two weeks while I've been enjoying the overcast Oxford skies...

benno wrote:I notice G in a couple of the photies - that must be his 3rd time on An Socach - did he finally go to the right summit this time?! :lol:

We made triply sure. You know the ancient Chinese proverb: "you never go to the wrong An Socach summit twice".
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Postby benno » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 am

joenorris wrote:I've never quite figured that out. To be fair, you have just been chilling in the Caribbean sun for two weeks while I've been enjoying the overcast Oxford skies...

"Chilling"?! Surely you mean "tentatively evading an explosive death"! :lol:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17900

joenorris wrote:You know the ancient Chinese proverb: "you never go to the wrong An Socach summit twice".

Surely you mean Leviticus 2:4-6:

"Seek thee all summits of similar girth, so that OS may change their mind, in thy mercy"
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland