walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From & Back To Duntelchig Loch

From & Back To Duntelchig Loch

Postby prophetofdom » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Route description: Three lochs circuit, south Loch Ness

Date walked: 11/12/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 193m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having taking a greasy breakfast at Woody's we headed south on the A9 to Daviot and along to the car park by Duntelchig to finally undertake this walk. I have made it twice to the car park to be tempted in other directions.

This time in a chilly icy wind we set of a canter through the Ashiew forest along a wide trail, crossing through a gate on a newly erected fence. The rains last night had dispatched with most of the snow which was a pity since it would have made this part of the walk a little more interesting. As it is it is quite dull really with its flatness and thus speed being its only advantage. Occasionally you get a snippet of a view to the Loch through the trees but reaching its conclusion was pleasing and steping out onto the wide flat moor with hills in view and soon also the first of three ruins we saw today.

Amazed at how dry the land was after such snow and rain we continued to the main road where beyond the bog started. Owing to failing light we sneaked instead along the Bunacton road and turned right along the ROW to Duntelchig. Such a contrast in paths. This one was wetter and more of a bridle track but the forest was closer, the trees more varied and after reaching the brow of the hill we snaked down winding a course more like a burn than a path and eventually maturing into a river along a wide avenue of grass stradled with birch trees on either side - not unlike a railway path before rolling down to Duntelchig's shores and the 4WD centre, the car and home to warm up and dry out.

Rapidily becoming my favourite place to steal a few hours is this wee Loch, but next time I do this walk I shall go out and return on the ROW path and not the forest track.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

prophetofdom
Hill Bagger

Munros:108   Corbetts:20
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland