walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach nan Cuilean ( Cowal ) Renewable Energy

Cruach nan Cuilean ( Cowal ) Renewable Energy

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach nan Cuilean

Date walked: 12/12/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 432m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit of cabin fever today so decided to head for the local hills. Headed off all on my lonesome. A 20 minute drive got me to my chosen start point.

Parked up at the big layby and headed off up the track that heads for the Aquaduct for power station . The weather had cleared as i drove up so hopes were high.

Start of the track,looking towards A'Cruach

This track leads to the Aquaduct.

Went down and had a wee look

From here there is an open section of fence and something that resembles an ATV track. I followed this round the hill till i came to the wall that leads the way.

Looking over to Cruach Neuran,which i could see better than when we were up it a few weeks ago !!

Loch Striven

Looking back down the wall

And up

Follow this wall till it comes to an end. Cruich nan Cuilean in the distance. Have to apologise for picture quality after this as my iphone was in HDR mode without me knowing and in order to get a descent pic the camera has to be 100% steady...not simple when theres a wee breeze :lol:

I had planned to walk round the base of the hill and round the back to reach the summit,but when i got there i had a change of mind and decided to head up early.

The summit was more grassy than anything,heading up to it to the right of the rock face

View at top. Looking over the Cruach Mhor windfarm.

Loch Striven,there is a smaill cairn located in that direction which gives better views,so i headed over. Its above the wee pool (pool is shown on OS map)

View from cairn over frozen pool

Loch Sriven power station and Balliemore estate

I didn't want to return the exact route so headed along the tops of the smaller summits whilst the Clag closed in....looking back.

Two significant boulders. I seen these on route from below and was thinking of heading up this way as well,it'd make a better walk as once your up here it'd make a good wee walk picking your way along to the summit.

I started to descend further, heading down a wee steep section,well...it makes it more interesting :) I ended up coming down the light grassy section with the furrow in it so this might be a better place to start your ascent to the summit rather than head along the bottom like i did. You can almost make out the two boulders left of the first hillock thingy. Is hillock even a word ? :lol:

Heading back the the end of the wall.Looking back i noticed i had just come the side of a valley. Dam it,wish i'd seen it from up there,it looked interesting.

Looks very possible......Doh

Got a bit carried away,I walked up the next hill to try and see more of the possible route to the summit

Views back to car,its there somewhere. Also looking down onto the wall i followed up. I made a steep descent back to the wall and retraced my steps from there.

Almost back at wall looking over to loch Riddon

Final bit of hill

Back at car

Another enjoyable wee walk in Cowal. Having nothing to reference to before the walk, no tracks except a few quad tracks and deer/sheep trails it's pretty much choose your own route up there. Would recommend heading up towards the two boulders via the furrow for the ascent or maybe round and up that valley i noticed...all be it to late ! :lol:

Cheers.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by smiffysmc on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Cruach nan Cuilean ( Cowal ) Renewable Energy

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 pm

20 mins drive to a hill :shock:

Jammy git :lol:

Nice wee report that :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:36 pm

dooterbang wrote:20 mins drive to a hill :shock:

Jammy git :lol:

Nice wee report that :)

I can even manage one walking from the house. 5 minutes and i'd be at the start of the Glen 8) :D Might do that next.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:00 pm

haha twenty minutes is close ... but 10mins is better :lol:

good report btw :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Collaciotach wrote:haha twenty minutes is close ... but 10mins is better :lol:

Are you a local as well Collaciotach ?
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 pm

smiffysmc wrote:

Gaidhealtachd an Iar :) ...Ardnamurchan / Suaineart Peninsula's plenty hills a bhalaich :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Collaciotach wrote:
smiffysmc wrote:

Gaidhealtachd an Iar :) ...Ardnamurchan / Suaineart Peninsula's plenty hills a bhalaich :lol:

Thought you ment you were 10 minutes from that hill :lol:
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland