walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snow White, Seven Dwarfs, 4 Munros & 1 Corbett!

Snow White, Seven Dwarfs, 4 Munros & 1 Corbett!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Corbetts included on this walk: The Sow of Atholl

Date walked: 10/12/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1600m

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my 1st winter walk of the season, in slightly wild weather last weekend, i was itching to get out again :D

The forecast was looking good as i packed my gear Thursday night, my OCD was in full flow :wink:

I would be driving this weekend as we needed 2 cars, one would be left at the finish....erm we required 2 cars anyhow as there would be 8 of us doing this particular little walk.

We had decided on the 4 Munros west of the A9 at Drumochter, these hills we had left for the winter as reports suggested this would be the best time to wander them. I had also suggested we could do the Sow of Atholl at the end, a little Corbett perched over the road....well just about.

Picked Leonide up at 6.10am, Stu and Mr pang 6.30am.

The drive up was wild in places but as we passed Pitlochry the moon was shining ever so brightly and looked huge, a magnificent spectacle. This was a good omen for our day :)

Arrived at the start (Balsporran Cottage) 8.30am and met David, Gordon (sidewinder), Ross and Herman. We put Davids car at the finish.
Good to go at 9am with the sun shining and blue skies aplenty, i feel an ubertastic day ahead 8)

Head SW and Cross the railway

Head up the hill to the highest point

Nearly there....

Munro number 1 - Geal Charn

Views over to Ben Alder Range - Simply Stunning :D

After soaking in the views we congratulated ourselves for being out on such a magnificent day, just like we did last weekend....2 contrasting weather conditions but in my world both rewarding :shock:

Smiles all around we headed onwards South to Munro number 2.

Munro number 2 - A'Mharconaich with views NW to the Alder Range

Although it was cold we had all the right gear so everyone was nice and toasty :)

We then continued SW towards summit 3 - Beinn Udlamian

On route we had some Dooter Daftness :shock:

Me celebrating winning Webtogs Trip Report Of the Decade and an all expenses paid Trip to scale Mount Everest, it was at this point i clicked my ruby red slippers.....damn!!

what age are we.... :lol:

The light was fantastic, the wind was non existent . We all savoured these conditions, high on life :D

The "money shots" nearing, and at Munro number 3 - Beinn Udlamain

Summit Poses

Proof of Snow White & those Seven Dwarfs!!

We stopped at the 3rd and had a bite to eat, some had a sneaky wee dram :wink:

It was great catching up with everyone as i hadn't walked with some of them good folk for a while. Herman is always good for discussing the merits of indie/arty films, Gordon knows his paint, David and Ross their gadgets, Mr Pang with his climbing trips in the Alps, Stu with his interesting job and Leonide never lost for words and good fun to be around, sometimes....Snow White my ass!! :D A real mixed bag which makes walking ever so enjoyable :)

Herman had mentioned it was his birthday this Tuesday and had invited us for drinks in the West End later that night, an offer one couldn't refuse.

Back to the walk and we continued SW to Munro number 4 - Sgairneach Mhor

The light and mist making for a very atmospheric landscape.

Sidewinder at the top of Sgairneach Mhor - he would also be in "TOP" form later that night in the West End :lol:

David - tongue testing the weather!

We met a fella who was just putting on his skis and within minutes was flying (well skiing really) down the hillside....

Being such a glorious day we had decided to do the Sow of Atholl

This was actually the hardest part of the walk due to banging our shins of crusty deep snow then the never ending pull up to the Corbetts Summit - although i enjoyed this as i then felt i actually had pushed myself slightly :wink:

We desended the Northern face of the Sow of Atholl which was pretty steep, due care was given. we all had our ice axes out, even Leonide :lol:

We all made it safely down just before darkness when the snow storms came, nice timing or what, and headed for a beer in The Atholl Arms Hotel - nice place.

The drive back home was pretty dodgy, i concentrated hard! I inflicted the guys with some sooper dooper electronic sounds from the vaults of my vast collection - Isan, Jon Hopkins, Caribou and Solvent.....Leonide even liked a little tune :D

Later that night a few of us met in the West End. Herman works in the drinks industry and educated me on some beverages i should try, a nice rum and beer was had. Sidewinder hit the wall and had to be driven to Livingston, how that poor Wife of his puts up with him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another fantastic walk with a fab bunch of like minded folk.

The buggers are out next weekend to do another 3 Munros which i cant make due to being out Friday and Saturday night, damn....maybe i'll do a TR on how i got home from the pub, should be an interesting read :D 8)
Last edited by dooterbang on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Snow White, Seven Dwarfs, 4 Munros & 1 Corbett!

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Dooters can only say I'm jealous having tried these the other week or so and only managed the first due to wind !!

You certainly had a cracking day, had the snow firmed up a bit, looks to have from the pics. Was heavy going couple of weeks ago not long after it had falen from the skies !!

Great report and will certainly inspire me to drop eevrything at the first hint of a good day, plus I can short cut the first having done it !! :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby pigeon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Superb again dooters :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Great report and super pictures :D You look like you had a great day there 8) I was just about to post my report of two of these that I did the very next day. My first winter winter walk of the year and nowhere near as good weather as you enjoyed so I wasn't up to the full round of four or the added delights of a Corbett.

These are definitely great hills for the winter though :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:120   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby DavyB » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Great report Paul, Pics reflect how good a day it was, spectacular weather and lots of laughs :lol: , pity your partying this weekend, looks like its going to be another good one. :D see you again soon.
DavyB
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Excellent stuff Dooterbang - 7 dwarves and not a grumpy in sight

Did the four munros on a hot summer day many years ago, which I thought was one of the best days to do these......until now.

Some great white pics and well described enjoyment...including the 'apres-ski'.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby snodland » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Such consistently beautiful photos (apart from the "dwarvesW that is). One of my favourites ever from this website
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 pm

What a delight to see Drumochter with no rain or clag, those photos are superb. I hope Snow White looked after her 7 little dwarfs :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Your a jammy git .... ceart gu leor :) I have never walked in the Cárn Gorm bar Beinn Alder ,must do so one day

cráic ing pictures and report :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:00 pm

well done. i think the mountains look their best when covered in snow. i was just saying i wish wishing i could ski at the weekend when on the hills :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:01 pm

what a cracker dooters - so much nicer than in the clag and rain of the summer :thumbup: some excellent photos as well esp those looking into the sun - cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 pm

This lot get a bad press (the hills I mean :lol: ). Unjust. In the right conditions they are fantastic viewpoints and join up into a cracking high level day walk. Great report Doots! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:27 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Great report and will certainly inspire me to drop eevrything at the first hint of a good day
Thats the spirit :D

pigeon wrote:Superb again dooters :thumbup:
cheers my friend.

PeteR wrote:These are definitely great hills for the winter though :D :D
Indeed they are. Well done on your efforts allso.

DavyB wrote:Great report Paul, Pics reflect how good a day it was, spectacular weather and lots of laughs :lol: , pity your partying this weekend, looks like its going to be another good one. :D see you again soon.
Incredible day, joyous and great fun. Wish i wasnt partying :( :?

Scotjamie wrote:Excellent stuff Dooterbang - 7 dwarves and not a grumpy in sight
Ha, we left him in Glasgow City centre holding up a bar!!

snodland wrote:Such consistently beautiful photos (apart from the "dwarvesW that is). One of my favourites ever from this website
Wowsers, cheers mate. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Johnny Corbett wrote: I hope Snow White looked after her 7 little dwarfs :D
If only Johnny - we can but dream :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:Your a jammy git .... ceart gu leor :) I have never walked in the Cárn Gorm bar Beinn Alder ,must do so one day
Thanks. Still to do the Alder range myself.

mountain thyme wrote:i was just saying i wish wishing i could ski at the weekend when on the hills :)
You mean "navigate" :lol:

rockhopper wrote:what a cracker dooters - so much nicer than in the clag and rain of the summer :thumbup: some excellent photos as well esp those looking into the sun - cheers
Was a cracking day. Wouldnt fancy these in the clag - i would do them though so am talking mince again :lol:

Graeme Dewar wrote:This lot get a bad press (the hills I mean :lol: ). Unjust. In the right conditions they are fantastic viewpoints and join up into a cracking high level day walk. Great report Doots! :D
After reading certain reports i was amazed at the views when reaching Geal Charn - stunning.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 pm

Smashing stuff Paul :D

I had to turn back after Geal Charn during the spring because of such poor visiblity, fantastic to see what I missed out on!

Cheers :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 am

Superb! And as you say snow in the conditions is just excellent.......like the pause for a dram on summit 3....:):):)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland