walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich

Meall Chuaich

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Date walked: 19/12/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 615m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Picked the last of the Drumochter hills Meall Chuaich after awe the good weekend weather was desperate to get out Alec and Jim were on there days off, so check the weather not looking good but hayho up at 5.45 picked up the guys plus the dug.

Up the A9 started to snow just after pitlochry not to heavy got to the layby 94 got ready in the car and away we went first obstacle was lifting the dug over the locked gate 5st of dog not the lightest that done followed the good track awe the way to the bothy where we fired up the stove and had a cup of double mocha chocolate coffee and a roll.

Of we went up the hill straight forward enough the wind was getting up the higher we went but good under foot conditions well sometimes hard snow then up to your knees and higher ha-ha, thought about putting the crampons on a couple of times but got away without them could see some other walker coming up they caught us up quite quickly had a wee bleather wi them said see you at the top and of they went 20 mins or so we hit the summit didn’t stay to long nae views started back down then meet 3 others just 5 mins below the top they asked how far now 5-10 mins then off they went walking back into the wind so on went the goggles for the way down most of the way not much photo’s taken but just good to get out

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meall Chuaich (7).JPG
the layby
Meall Chuaich (9).JPG
up the track to the bothy
Meall Chuaich (4).JPG
right turn here to the bothy
Meall Chuaich.JPG
me gettin the stove on
Meall Chuaich (14).JPG
summit
Last edited by quoman on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Meall Chuaich

Postby iainwatson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:42 pm

shame about the weather,it was so nice the day before but as you said,its great just to be out 8)

might bag this before new year hopefully
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby kevsbald » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Good to see the dug had a rug. Surprised at how much snow is piling down in contrast to the day before.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby goth_angel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Looks a straightforward enough hill for winter. Quick question though - how high is the locked gate at the start? I am not the most agile person and struggle a bit heaving myself over gates if they are too tall. :oops:
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 pm

goth_angel wrote:Looks a straightforward enough hill for winter. Quick question though - how high is the locked gate at the start? I am not the most agile person and struggle a bit heaving myself over gates if they are too tall. :oops:

Its just a normal cattle gate but its looked awe the time.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:18 pm

iainwatson wrote:shame about the weather,it was so nice the day before but as you said,its great just to be out 8)

might bag this before new year hopefully

staight forwared hill you would have no probs
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:22 pm

kevsbald wrote:Good to see the dug had a rug. Surprised at how much snow is piling down in contrast to the day before.

Alec usually forget the dug coat but hes learning :lol:

the road down the A9 was worse single track awe the way past pitlochry 25/35 mph
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby goth_angel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:30 pm

quoman wrote:
goth_angel wrote:Looks a straightforward enough hill for winter. Quick question though - how high is the locked gate at the start? I am not the most agile person and struggle a bit heaving myself over gates if they are too tall. :oops:

So not any more than 4-5 foot high?
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:44 pm

goth_angel wrote:
quoman wrote:

So not any more than 4-5 foot high?

No where near that 3-4 foot
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby jstalker66621 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Hopefully the weather will not worsen afore xmas day...at least the roads should be clear then :D I intend to walk this as my last of the year for 2011...then tan a couple of mince pies and custard afore heading home for the rest of the xmas dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 pm

For anyone yet to do it, a diversion from the same way in is to descend NW from the summit down to the Loch and walk out that way. Steeper than the ascent but when we did it a few weeks back snow was deep and made for some fun on the way down. Just don't go too far left as it gets a bit craggy but the map contours show the best line down a wide gully.

We carried on up to do the Graham Creag R opposite, steep ascent straight up next to a fence but passed fairly quickly followed by a nice clean ridge to the summit and then down to rejoin the track OR you can simply walk out on a good track along the loch and back out.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:50 pm

jstalker66621 wrote:Hopefully the weather will not worsen afore xmas day...at least the roads should be clear then :D I intend to walk this as my last of the year for 2011...then tan a couple of mince pies and custard afore heading home for the rest of the xmas dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:

A think the weather is to get a wee bit milder as the week goes on.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby jstalker66621 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:16 pm

quoman wrote:
jstalker66621 wrote:Hopefully the weather will not worsen afore xmas day...at least the roads should be clear then :D I intend to walk this as my last of the year for 2011...then tan a couple of mince pies and custard afore heading home for the rest of the xmas dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:

A think the weather is to get a wee bit milder as the week goes on.

It certainly did Quoman...hardly any snow left at all by the time I got there...yet other Munro's all had enough on them in the area...strange indeed :?
jstalker66621
Mountaineer

Munros:257   Corbetts:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland