walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowbound in Easter Ross

Snowbound in Easter Ross

Postby malky_c » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc Corr Guinie

Date walked: 18/12/2011

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 260m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2000's: Cnoc Corr Guinie
Date walked: 18/12/2011
Time taken: 1 hour 20 minutes
Distance: 7km
Ascent: 260m
Weather: Sunny turning to snowfall

Headed out to the Storehouse near Evanton with the missus for a late breakfast. She had lots of studying to do so I negotiated an hour away to bag a local Marilyn or two. The low Marilyns to the east of the Struie road are on my list of hills to cycle to, but somehow I hadn't got around to that yet. My initial plan was to head for the Struie itself, as this is the most impressive, and would appear to have good views over the Dornoch Firth. However once I turned off the A9, it became clear that the condition of the roads was much worse than I thought. As I eased down the steep hill towards the right-angle bend at Dalneich Bridge at about 5mph in first gear, I decided it would be prudent to go for the closest hill instead :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd already used up almost half of my time driving the 8 or 9 miles to Stittenham, so I bolted up the forestry track towards the summit. The snow was deep on the track, so although a fastish walk was possible, running was out of the question. With the sun and blue skies, the forest was very pretty.

Start of the walk:

Looking across the Black Isle:

Eventually reaching the point where I had to leave the track to ascend the last 50m to the summit, I realised I was going to be late. I thought I'd make a phone call, but my phone wasn't in my pocket. I had either dropped it or left it in the car. I decided that since I would already be in for a bollocking, I might as well climb the last little bit and visit the summit anyway. This was much slower, plodding through knee deep soft snow atop heather, and disappointingly, the summit was surrounded in trees, meaning no views other than back towards Invergordon where I had been able to see lower down. There looked to be better views following the ridge westwards, but I didn't have time to plough a new path back down, and the weather was beginning to close in anyway.

Invergordon and the Cromarty Firth:

Summit(ish) cairn:

Cromarty Firth from the summit:

I retraced my steps, almost missing the forestry track as the snow was so deep (I did idly wonder why footprints went off to the right before realising they were mine!) No sign of my phone on the descent (although with the fresh snowfall I had little chance of spotting anything). Fortunately when I got back to the car, it was on the back seat, although with no signal, so I still couldn't phone and apologise. The car was nicely covered in snow now, and I had to do some interesting wheelspins to get it pointing downhill, at which point I was able to drive back to Alness at about 15 mph. By the time I got back to the Storehouse I was over an hour late (not bad when I was only supposed to be gone for an hour!) and got a fair ear bending for my troubles. Wish I'd gone for the Struie now - would've got some nice views for my pain :lol:

Weather turning on the descent:

Drive back should be fun:
Last edited by malky_c on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Snowbound in Easter Ross

Postby Alan S » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Cracking pics Malky, Love the 2nd one 8)
Looks a good hill for those conditions :D
Wouldnt have fancied trying to get the car out of that :shock:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 am

and a withdrawal from the Bank of Wife..... :problem:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:16 am

The city would tremble with the interest rate :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:41 am

I'm itching to get out after reading this! :mrgreen:

You and others are responsible for major mental conflict as I've got so much going on just now I don't have time to get out walking apart from the usual dog walks! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:38 pm

These little ones make for fine days out during the winter months :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Back in the motherland Malky ;). Wonder how much snow will be left after this week :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:12 am

Nice one malky - bet it's good to be home for Christmas :D Suspect the snow'll all be gone by the time I manage to get out again :(
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby agrubb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Some nice views of the Cromarty Firth! My folks stay up this way and the last two years I've had nice snowy views of the firth are while driving up a far from snow free A9!
agrubb

Munros:219   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:5

Postby malky_c » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Cheers all, great to be back. Funny how much attention a slightly over-the-top report title attracts. Sorry if you were looking for an epic 30km crossing of Seana Bhraigh here :wink:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland