walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Oh I Get High With A Little Help From My Friends

Oh I Get High With A Little Help From My Friends

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:41 am

Route description: Càrn a'Chlamain

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Chlamain

Date walked: 18/12/2011

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 26 km

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Oh the excitement when a little ding on my phone tells me I have a message from Gammy Leg Walker. There were plans afoot to get out and about on Sunday. The plans were being made in collaboration with Jonny616 and more importantly, the master who rules us all, the Scottish weather :( Several hills were proposed, all of which sounded good to me :D and the finalish decision was being made on Friday night. Meanwhile more WH members were being invited aka roped into this excursion. Alas with the walk falling on the Sunday after the busiest Christmas party night of the year, we received lots of 'if only I wasn't forced to go out and destroy a copious amount of liver and pancreatic cells'!!!! :shock: :shock:

My own Christmas night out was on the Friday night and while I was in the hairdressers getting my hair beaten into submission I received a call from work asking could I work on Saturday. As usual I was too slow to come up with an excuse as to why I couldn't do it- damn! Another phonecall later that night to Jonny616 revealed that previous plans had been scrapped and we were now chasing the sunshine and heading to Carn a'Chlamain near Bridge of Tilt 8) This was the first time I had spoken to Jonny so needless to say this conversation took place before any alcohol was consumed- didn't want to be declaring undying love just so soon :lol: :lol:

Saturday morning started earlyish 09.30 with the usual Parkrun at Strathclyde Park, only difference being the 5K course was to be run on the snow- no personal bests today!!!! A quick jaunt over to Tiso to pick up kit for Sunday and then it was off to work for a yummy 12hr shift :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

And so to the report proper. Got picked up at 5.50 just off the motorway slip road by Jonny and his mate Paul (WH member Pablo) and then headed up to Denny to meet up with Gammy and Alan S. And so we all got acquainted in Paul's rather lovely Landrover, with Gammy or Jammy as he should be called getting to ride shotgun! Without any palaver we were in the carpark at Bridge of Tilt and started to get organised and very soon were joined by the man/boy/BFG....Rocket Ron and his gorgeous part-time dog Charlie. Hugs (me) and manly handshakes (others) were dispensed as RR was introduced to everyone. It was still dark as we set off but GLW and AlanS knew exactly where the start was and so were off-yippee!
IMG_1946.JPG
Booted up

We all knew that we were in for a bit of a walk out and back (26K) so the mindset from the beginning was to enjoy the very long day and have lots of laughs along the way- we managed that no bother :lol:
The first part of the track takes you through a fabulously scented forest with noisy pheasants uphappy with us disturbing their peace- ha ha too bad birdies :D
IMG_1948.JPG
Jonny and Paul

forest jm.jpg
Forest (JM)

Gammy jm.jpg
The main man!!!(JM)

After about 20-30mins you leave the trees behind and start seeing hills and the firing ranges :shock:

IMG_1955.JPG
Oi Oi!!

There are numerous bridges along the way and act as good distance markers for those who were navigating, Alan with the GPS and Jonny with the map.
IMG_1950.JPG
Snowy bridge

In addition to the route given in WH there are lots of options for those who wish to take in other scenic features eg the Falls of Fender but we had plenty to enjoy without going out of our way! We did go slightly awry by a few metres at the sign for Gilbert's Bridge and just double-backed, these people are just amateurs at missing turn-offs!!! :lol:
IMG_1951.JPG
You don't want to go that way!

And so we reached the diamond-shaped gate :shock: I know us hill-walkers come in some strange shapes and sizes but I have as yet to meet a diamond-shaped one!!!! That being said we did all manage to get through without too much of a
to-do???? :?

IMG_1957.JPG
Why???

It was after this section that we noticed that the land-rover track had become a solid river of ice with just an adequate dusting of snow to fool you into thinking that all was well. At this point I was walking with Paul and discussing the fool-hardiness of teenagers going out in cold weather with little regard for their own safety and well-being (Pot and Kettle???) when I performed a spectacular feet to arse fall!!! It happened so quickly that I didn't have a chance to put my hands out to save myself- it was soooooo sore but at least my rump took 100% of the impact so no damaged hips or wrists. Fortunately the others were slightly ahead and although they may have experienced the resulting earth tremor they didn't say anything. When we caught up with them they were discussing their near-misses, like I said...amateurs!!!

Ten minutes later, and still destroying Paul's will to live, down I went again only this time I fell forward and although it wasn't as dramatic as before I struggled to get up without slipping and as Paul came to help me, down he went straight onto his hip :( Ouch!!! Fortunately the falls and slips were soon forgotten and with morning darkness no longer with us we were treated to spectular views of Glen Tilt and surrounding hills. We even had some sentinel deer watching us from the hills and even Charlie's enthusiastic attempts to get them to leave their posts didn't happen.
IMG_1959.JPG
We're watching you!

IMG_1960.JPG
Sun on the hills

IMG_1961.JPG
Return bridge

As you can see from the photos the landscape was turning whiter and the sky was getting bluer- lovely! and so it was decided we would stop for elevenses, mostly because it was 11am and we were getting a bit peckish and Jonny wanted to try his wee bum sledge thingy. :lol:

zig zag jm.jpg
Zig Zag Path (JM)

IMG_1968.JPG
Elevenses!

IMG_9365.JPG
Lovely !(RR)

At this point we were 2.5hrs into the walk and we still had a fair bit to go. The snow was getting deeper which meant that although it may make the legs a wee bit heavier, at least the risk of slipping had been greatly reduced :thumbup:
All the way along we fell in with different groups and chatted about every subject under the sun (and quite a few under the counter but I'll come to them later!!) Anyway, there's me, Alan (walking) and Ron (strolling) along discussing past and future walks. We all knew that Ron was pretty fit and nifty on the hills but the following discussion is just an example about how amazing he is ....

Me...' Alan when you did the munros at Glenshee, did you find it worthwhile to do all six at once?'
Alan...' Yeah, definitely pick a good day in the Spring/Summer and you'll manage no bother'
Me....'Cheers Alan, that's what I was hoping you would say. Ron, what way did you do these ones, 4+2 or all 6 together?'
Ron...' I just did the 9, just to save me the drive back' :shock: :lol: :shock:

He just finds it all so easy and is so low key about all his achievements.....110 munros this year as well many, many Corbetts and Grahams!!!
Me and RR JM.jpg
Nearly there!

Although we had good clear views of where we were heading it felt that we were taking forever to get there, so the constant chat helped jolly things along. Just before the final ascent Gammy suggested that we dump our bags and sure enough it was a lot easier. This was really the only steep part of the walk and Ron led the way. I had Gammy just behind me telling me how to kick into the hardened snow to make footholds and within minutes we were at the summit. I was really surprised. I looked behind Ron expecting to see another 100 metres of ascent but alas no false summits!!! Yippee!!!!
IMG_1973.JPG
What kept you?

IMG_9371.JPG
The approach of mere mortals (RR)

jmsummit.jpg
Jonny and me at the summit (JM)

After the photos were taken we left pretty quickly, keen to get back to the path before we started losing light. ( Can't remember the time we left, about 14.30?) It was decided to return by a more direct descent.
descent JM.jpg
The descent (RR)

IMG_9383.JPG
Descent (RR)

IMG_1975.JPG
Alan S constantly looking for the safest route

The visibility was still fantastic and we could see the track about 2-3 Km ahead. This was the most physically challenging part of the walk with us often ending up waist deep in the snow. Ron and Alan did an excellent job going onwards and finding all the hidden treasures of burns and gullies :(

snowy.jpg
A wee bit snowy (RR)

As had been an over-riding feature throughout this walk, we were constanly checking that everyone was progressing safely and there were lots of helping hands offered and almost always accepted. I say almost because I offered to help Gammy out of a hole and he said I didn't have enough bulk!!! LMFAO!!!Hey boy look at this body! I work out!!!! :lol:
We had a wee bit of a flurry of snow that did threaten visibility but it didn't hang about too long.

Once we were back on the track, we stopped for another quick break. It was here that I had an epiphany. I looked at Ron lounging on the snow eating a giant fruit salad, while I stood hot and sweaty forcing about 6 Ferrero Rocher down my throat and it dawned on me that this may be why our hill fitness differed so greatly :lol:

Joining Landrover trackJM.jpg
Joining Landrover Track (JM)

Once back on the Landrover track it was pretty much back the way we came until we met the stone bridge that we had passed earlier and crossed the river at this point. The impending darkness meant that our headtorches were required-fab!!! and so we now plodded back to the car with subjects up for discussion...... outdoor nude photography, dogging and all it entails????? People that we know who have taken part, people we suspect have taken part and the etiquette and terms involved :lol: :lol:

Alas after 9.5 hours we were back at the carpark and goodbyes were exchanged as were waved a fond farewell to my favourite Invernessian. To be fair I only know one other one and that's Nessie :lol:

A gadzillion thankyous to all the guys for making this a fantastic day out with most of the highs having nothing to do with ascent XXXX

N.B. Not all the photographs are mine. RR and JM denote those taken by Rocket Ron and Jonny616 respectively.
Last edited by pollyh33 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Oh I Get High With A Little Help From My Friends

Postby KeithS » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:52 am

Great report, sounded like good fun. I wish I was up there now, I did that hill this summer when I'm sure it was a lot easier. I wish I was up there now.

Next week I will be :D :D
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:06 am

Keith Sayliss wrote:Great report, sounded like good fun. I wish I was up there now, I did that hill this summer when I'm sure it was a lot easier. I wish I was up there now.

Next week I will be :D :D

Thanks Keith :D

Hope you enjoy the thrills but not the spills!!! :(
pollyh33
Walker

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 am

Enjoyed that. Looked a great day out - apart from the slips and falls.
foggieclimber

Postby jonny616 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:01 am

Great report of a great day Polly. I think you just nominated yourself for the position of chief scribe for our future outings
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:08 am

Greatly enjoyed your report, funny as usual, and loved the photos (whoever took them) :thumbup:

The annoying thing now, I have a tune of "Oh I Get High With a Little Help From My Friends" going round my head....thank you very much Polly :?

Hope your behind, and finger, (does that sound a bit rude??) are not so sore :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby monty » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:31 am

Excellent report Polly.
Looked like you had a nice day for it with sunshine for some of the ascent. :D Sounds like micro spikes may have been handy on the walk in though. Ouch. Saw your bruised finger on FB. :shock:
monty

Postby kevsbald » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:41 am

Good effort!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby daveh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:51 am

I am tired just reading that! Well done and hope to meet some WH folk on xmas eve for our Corbett adventure.
Dave
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:35 am

What an adventure!

That's a long trek even without lethal ice on the walk in - brilliantly done! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mrssanta » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm

looked like a smashing day out with good company
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:12 pm

dogplodder wrote:What an adventure!

That's a long trek even without lethal ice on the walk in - brilliantly done! :clap:

Thanks Kathleen. A trek indeed, your dogs would have loved it! :D

daveh wrote:I am tired just reading that! Well done and hope to meet some WH folk on xmas eve for our Corbett adventure.
Dave

Cheers Dave. Hope you have a fab time on Christmas Eve. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some blue skies 8)

kevsbald wrote:Good effort!

Cheers Kev
monty wrote:Excellent report Polly.
Looked like you had a nice day for it with sunshine for some of the ascent. :D Sounds like micro spikes may have been handy on the walk in though. Ouch. Saw your bruised finger on FB. :shock:

Thanks so much Monty. Yes definitely getting micro spikes for next day out :thumbup:
Oh yeah my finger looks a bit freaky :lol:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Greatly enjoyed your report, funny as usual, and loved the photos (whoever took them) :thumbup:

The annoying thing now, I have a tune of "Oh I Get High With a Little Help From My Friends" going round my head....thank you very much Polly :?

Hope your behind, and finger, (does that sound a bit rude??) are not so sore :lol:

Ha ha ha , you stopped singing the song yet???? Oooops sorry Susie :lol: Pain easing thankfully :thumbup:

foggieclimber wrote:Enjoyed that. Looked a great day out - apart from the slips and falls.

Thanks Foggie. Yeah was a fun day but the ice was a challenge :lol:

jonny616 wrote:Great report of a great day Polly. I think you just nominated yourself for the position of chief scribe for our future outings

Ha ha are you kidding???? Took me eons getting it done :lol: Thanks so much for making this a fabulous day! X
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:14 pm

mrssanta wrote:looked like a smashing day out with good company

Thanks Mrs S.

It was fab! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:29 pm

A long day that but an ideal Munro for winter.Enjoyabe read as allways and next time do it in the summer and cycle up that track and you won't get any sore fingers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby quoman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Excellent repot polly

looks like you all had a good day oot wi the gang.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland