walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blown back to Moncrieffe Hill

Blown back to Moncrieffe Hill

Postby malky_c » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Moncreiffe Hill

Date walked: 24/12/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 730m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills: Beinn Breac-liath attempted
Date: 24/12/2011
Length: 5km
Ascent: 600m
Time taken: 2 hours 30 minutes
Weather: Howling. Not known this much wind since the last works curry night!

The story actually starts in Tyndrum rather than Perth. I'd driven over first thing to meet up with Kevsbald, Leithysuburbs, Gavin99 and Daveh to have a bash at Beinn Breac-liath and Beinn Udlaidh. At one point we even considered the Graham of Beinn na Sroine too, although this was dismissed within 30 seconds of meeting. Kev's report covers the full gory details of our walk, suffice to say that we didn't reach any summits due to extremely strong winds. We were barely able to stay on our feet or move in the desired direction, and although we didn't have much more height to gain, there's no way we were going to spend any longer outside. A speedy retreat back to the cars in Glen Orchy, and we were in the Green Welly Stop cafe before midday.

Beinn Udlaidh:

Glen Orchy:

On the drive home, I had vague ideas about stopping and having a go at something smaller, but the weather wasn't improving much. Some sun appeared at Crieff, and I had a notion of visiting the Knock of Crieff, but I still didn't feel like getting out of the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sub 2000's: Moncrieffe Hill
Date: 24/12/2011
Length: 2km
Ascent: 130m
Time taken: 35 minutes
Weather: Windy but mainly dry and clear. Overcast.

Fortunately I remembered Moncrieffe Hill just outside Perth. With the rain easing off, I could climb this without even having to change back into my wet clothes. Luckily (and rather randomly) I had the OS map in the car, so I was able to find my way to it (so close to the motorway but actually quite fiddly to get to!)

I wasn't sure of my route, but saw a big car park with Moncrieffe Hill' signposted from the Rhynd road. Seemed like a good hint! I parked up and followed a very well made path towards the hill fort remains on the summit. The going got a little muddier before the final rise, but not much, and in 20 minutes I was on the top. Hardly worth producing a report for really, but on a good day, there would be fine views down the Tay Estuary and up towards Dunkeld. I nipped back down the same way, although you could easily make a couple of hours worth of walking in the area if you had time. It seemed to be a very popular after lunch walk for dog walkers and families.

Ascent path:

Tay Estuary:

The road to Edinburgh:

Perth:

As I had neglected to mention this little detour on the phone earlier, I was in hot (well, lukewarm) water again for being late. Some people just never learn!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Blown back to Moncrieffe Hill

Postby kevsbald » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:43 pm

You'll be overdrawn Malky!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Oooopsies about the phonecall :oops: :oops:

But I'm guessing you weren't for heading home without a hill under your belt :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:25 pm

malky_c wrote:As I had neglected to mention this little detour on the phone earlier,
Oh dear :?

At least you managed to complete a walk :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby scoob999 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:11 am

I can symptomise with you guys today, as i also had to turn back 100 metres from the summit of Meall ghaordaidh today in atrocious conditions. ah well, will get it next year :)
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:12 am

well done - many of us would just've headed home, but not you :lol: to quote a comment one of my reports once received...." A very nice wife you have there." cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:09 am

You should've called and popped in for a wee dram Malky! Nice wee dog walk as you say!

Pol - what the F*** have you been drinking this Christmas????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland