walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mountaineering at Buachaille Etive Beag

Mountaineering at Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby fipriestley » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:12 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 23/12/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Perfect day for this walk - clear, bright, crisp, mainly dry, not much wind, and I'm told I officially became a mountaineer (due to needing ice axe; managed without crampons but did wear snow/ice grips although they kept falling off!) :D

IMAG0518.jpg
steep steps to start with, not much snow on lower ground

IMAG0503.jpg
climbing reveals snow ahead

Straightforward climb to the top of Stob Coire Raineach, only passing smaller patches of snow on the way
IMAG0508.jpg
from Stob Coire Raineach summit

IMAG0509.jpg
Stob Coire Raineach summit view

Not sure who won the debate about whether Stob Coire Raineach should be classified as a Munro, since it was discovered later and not on the original list of Hugh Munro - guess it depends on your definition of a Munro, as in based on height vs discovered by the man himself :lol:

IMAG0510.jpg
looking across to Stob Dubh from Stob Coire Raineach

The climb up Stob Dubh was a little trickier.. could have used crampons, but snow/ice was still in patches so I went with the little velcro grips I bought last week. Seemed like a good plan, but they did keep falling off as they're only fairly thin strips with a single strap around the top of the boot. Still, I didn't fall any more than usual :)

IMAG0511.jpg
heading up to ridge over Stob Dubh

IMAG0514.jpg
nearing summit of Stob Dubh

SDC12364.JPG
made it to the top :)

Walked along to the further view point, but clouds were coming in so didn't get great views. On the way back down, the quickest way was to slide.. so I got in some more self arrest practice and giggled like a kid all the way down :lol:

IMAG0517.jpg
slid back down wheeee :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Mountaineering at Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:05 am

Nice one fi :thumbup: The scree track coming down Stob Dubh in summer can be tricky enough so probably somewhat worse in snow/ice - well done :D cheers
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Re: Mountaineering at Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi fipriestley.

Nice report fi always good to get out cant wait till friday when am going oot up to mayar / Driesh hopfully :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Grahams:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland