walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Failure on the Munros success on the Graham

Failure on the Munros success on the Graham

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cnap Cruinn

Date walked: 27/12/2011

Time taken: 7.3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The decision was made that myself and Kim would go for a couple of Munros today, them being the two Stobs from Fersit. We set off from Alloa at 6.30 am arriving in fersit at 08.45 after a wee delay on the bridge on the single track road to fersit where a tree had fallen, a guy was just finishing cutting it away as we arrived. On the drive up, the big question was would we need the crampons? The reason for this being the last outing Kim got bad blisters on her heels from her winter boots. I said due to the mild weather we might get away without them but we would wait till we got there before deciding. On arriving the hills looked ok with pockets of snow here and there, with the ridge up to the first Munro looking relatively snow free, though we could not see beyond this.It was now decision time,do we carry Kims winter boots and crampons or do we travel light?We decided to travel light and if it was crampon weather we would turn back,we did however take the ice-axes.
We set of just after 9 and made our way up to the ridge just passed where there is a cairn that looks like a trig point, here a path leads up to the craggy Meall Cian Dearg.On the path we came across hard snow which was not a good sign but we managed over it, we then got higher up where there was a larger section of snow on steep ground. I gave it a test and said no way, even with crampons on i'd have been very wary of it. We then contoured round the east side to look for another way up, negotiating snow as we climbed.There did look a way up avoiding the snow but it was steep and it was at this point i sensed the negative vibes from Kim. I said "you're not wanting to go up there are you"? "No" was the reply. Well i hadn't got out my bed at 05.45 on a day off to go home with no blue balloon so i said we would head down slightly then make our way round to do the Graham Cnap Cruinn so we could bag a summit :D . On our return there was more drama as i decided to take the track through the forest on the way back where we would then cross Creag Fhiaclach and be back at the start. Didn't quite go to plan though as we made our way through the forest we had to climb over,under and round numerous fallen trees with again negative vibes coming from Kimbo :D Kim did suggest we turn back but i said we'd be fine and we'd find a way through. I was wrong as we came to a point where we could go no further, here i asked Kim the time, "it's quater past 3" she said. Holly moly lets get the feck out of here, right we'll have to go back. Kim was silent. We started to head back when i convinced Kim we head down the fire break she agreed unconvicingly, again i was wrong as we came across more fallen trees, this adding another 15mins onto the walk. We got back on the track and got out the forest at 4pm just as it was getting dark and made our way back to the car in the dark.A fine adventure in the end even though we failed the two Munros, we will however return in the summer to do them.
P1020035.JPG
Loch treig

P1020036.JPG
Meall Cian Dearg

P1020038.JPG
Glen Spean

P1020039.JPG
The steep little Meall Cian Dearg

P1020040.JPG
Kim assessing whats ahead

P1020041.JPG
Sgurr Innse and a couple of Munros

P1020042.JPG
The two Stob Munros

P1020043.JPG
And again in cloud

P1020044.JPG
Towards The Grey Corries

P1020045.JPG
Kim on the summit of Cnap Cruinn

P1020046.JPG
Glen Spean

P1020047.JPG
Me at the summit

P1020049.JPG
The bridge over the Allt Laire

P1020050.JPG
The path back
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Failure on the Munros success on the Graham

Postby Alastair S » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Surprising that what little snow is/was left was so icy. Could well cause further problems if we get powdery stuff on top.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Bod » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Johnny, these days are just as important as the ones that go perfectly smoothly with no hic-ups! (These are Spring/Summer targets for us too.) Well done for getting out there, it's been 2 or 3 weeks for us now since getting oot n' aboot! Hoping to get a walk together on Friday with some friends staying with us on Mull over New Year. All the best to yourself and Kim for 2012 :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby kevsbald » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:28 pm

Any hill over 2000ft jn these conditions is a feather in the cap. Well done JC - and Kim.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:12 pm

Having not left the house for 3 days, I applaud any efforts to get out and about :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby 2dalmatians » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:08 pm

I wouldn't be too disappointed with that effort. Many's a time I have turned back over the last couple of years without having reached a summit. Better safe than sorry every time. and well done for getting to the top of the Graham!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 pm

well done JC. good pics... whats a graham again?? :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby pollyh33 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:11 pm

Great report Johnny and good to see Kim out with you again :thumbup:

Can't believe that the snow has gone so soon :(
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dooterbang » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:14 pm

At least you got out and managed to summit something - safety first always....next time leave the misses at home :lol:

Shocking that the snow has gone :(
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 pm

mountain thyme wrote:well done JC. good pics... whats a graham again?? :D

I don't think you'd manage them MT they're hard little hills with no paths unlike all those easy Munros you've done :lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33 wrote:Great report Johnny and good to see Kim out with you again :thumbup:

Can't believe that the snow has gone so soon :(

Yeah it's disappeared quick, unfortunately the small amount that is left was in the wrong place for us :(
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:
mountain thyme wrote:well done JC. good pics... whats a graham again?? :D

I don't think you'd manage them MT they're hard little hills with no paths unlike all those easy Munros you've done :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby iainwatson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:32 am

sensible choice to leave the munro's,i wouldnt fancy going up to meall cian dearg(sorry for the spelling if its wrong) with the snow being rock hard,its a steep incline and would be pretty dangerous,
but you still managed a summit :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland