walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sow & Boar Round of 4

Sow & Boar Round of 4

Postby prophetofdom » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Route description: Beinn Udlamain and Sgàirneach Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 16/08/2011

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 26.5 km

Ascent: 1270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sow & Boar Round of 4

Had camped by the Aquaduct beside Loch Chuaich last night and woke to the sight of the Caledonian Sleeper heading North to Inverness. A couple of crofters passed me with guns on a Quad Bike as I was packing up and discussed the probable outcome of the days weather with me as I wrapped up my tent. Wet and overcast was the verdict. In the end whilst it was misty and overcast the rain never amounted to much.

Started again like the day before from Balsporan Cottages and headed across the railway at around 9.30am heading for Geal Charn with its supposed 7 cairns for 7 brothers. Within 30minutes I had made the large cairn on the edge of the hill which offers views back into the pass but in truth is quite some distance from the summit itself which took a further 30minutes to reach but offered good protection for a little breakfast.

I followed the high land around to the edges and looked down over Loch Ericht and saw on the loch shore the money and buildings including Helipad of the Ben Alder Estate. Such a peaceful spot to have a mini empire and I tried to keep this in view as I made my way to my second top of the day , A'Mharconaich at 975m at just after midday.

From here my next hill involved the simple task of following the rusty fence post markers that divided Inverness-shire from Perthshire and easy rolling walking up to the massive summit cairn of the dolefully named Beinn Udlamain (Gloomy Mountain) which was my third Munro of the day and I reached it for lunch at 1.15. Quite a fast time I thought for a grand distance of walking.

As yesterday I had seen no-one whatsoever on the fields but as I headed down the slopes and back up to complete my round on Sgairneach Mhor I saw a large party of 12 all in red waterproofs heading down the slopes towards me but the mists swirled thickly around and we never encountered each other and my attention switched to obtaining a decent bearing before the world vanished.

This I happily followed to its successful conclusion of the summit cairn and trig point of Sgairneach Mhor by 2.50 in the afternoon to allow my plenty of time to return to base camp.

I briefly considered retracing my steps and retouching all the munros back to the car. Another idea was to go due north down and then back up to my second hill. I also toyed with the idea of tagging on the Sow of Atholl which was calling to me but my legs were not so keen. So eventually I decided in the thick mists of following a bearing along the rocks and then soothing down twixt the two hills and then picking up the estate track back to the A9 via a 1km diversion to duck under the railway lines and then a noisy end today tramping back 6km’s along the A9 to the Balsporan cottages – reason enough to have considered back tracking in the hills for a little more silence to end a fine long walk.
Attachments
Walk058 - Sweet Arrangement Of Border Spikes.JPG
Sweet Arrangement Of Border Spikes
Walk045 - Looking Down To A9 From Lone Cairn.JPG
Looking Down To A9 From Lone Cairn

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

prophetofdom
Hill Bagger

Munros:108   Corbetts:20
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland