walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The King's Seat on New Years Day

The King's Seat on New Years Day

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Route description: Dunsinane and King's Seat, Collace

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: King's Seat

Date walked: 01/01/2012

Time taken: 1.7 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 340m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were hoping to bag a Corbett with fellow WH members and friends EwaMH and agrubb on New Years Day but yet again the weather disrupted our plans (yet again :!: ). My walking partner didn't want to get too high due to the gales etc. that were forecast. I was ready to start Graham bagging but the other half fancied something closer to home so we ended up heading for a local Marilyn, the King's Seat.

We did the same route as Graeme Dewar whose report can be accessed via the link below http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8298

As Marilyn's go this one is a really nice walk taking in 2 other hills (Dunsinane Hill and Black Hill) on route. I noticed a fair few potential scrambling sites down the side of the Black Hill which we might come back and have a 'play' on in the summer - we didn't dare attempt any such antics with the strength of the wind on the 1st.

The pathway up to the first hill, Dunsinane, is very clear and this hill on its own appeared to be pretty popular with a couple of groups leaving just as we arrived and two groups arriving just as we left. There is a bit of a steep descent and ascent between Dunsinane and Black hill but nothing too strenuous. Between Black Hill and the King's Seat itself we were treated to a nice rainbow before being chased by bog monsters and stumbling upon a dead sheep (which of course I took a photo of...).

The views from the seat itself were great and made all the better for having waded through thick heather to get there. It was pretty breezy to say the least so we didn't stay at the summit for long - just a quick sherry, a few snaps and then back down the hill to get up close and personal with the bog monsters again (himself had taken the piddle out of me for wearing gaiters earlier in the day - I got the last smug laugh :D )

Not quite the sociable hike we had in mind but it was a nice walk and getting home early for a roast and a little too much Prosecco made up for the lack of height :D

1 View to KS.jpg

2 View to the top of DH.jpg

3 Dunsinane Hill.jpg

4 Cairn on Dunsinane Hill.jpg

5 Little mushies on the side of Dunsinane Hill.jpg

6 view FROM the side of Dunsinane Hill.jpg

7 Cairn on BH.jpg

8 Rainbow.jpg

9 View to KS.jpg

10 dead sheep.jpg

11 Cairn on KS.jpg

12 View from KS.jpg

12-1 View from KS.jpg

14 Trig on KS.jpg

15 Views.jpg

16 Crags from the car.jpg
Last edited by SMRussell on Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: The King's Seat on New Years Day

Postby Sabbathstevie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

I tried to do this one on the 27th of Dec - got as far as the "no Dogs" sign before me and the dog had to turn around and head off to the Laird's Loch en route to Dundee instead!

Now at least I can see what I missed! :lol:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Sabbathstevie wrote:I tried to do this one on the 27th of Dec - got as far as the "no Dogs" sign before me and the dog had to turn around and head off to the Laird's Loch en route to Dundee instead!

Stevie - shame you missed out it is a nice walk. I think that the no dogs signs needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. As far as I know (and as much as I want one I don't have a dog so haven't really looked into this - could be wrong) dog walkers have the same rights to wander as us dogless walkers - however if there is livestock in a field your dog should be kept on a tight lead, if there is planted fruit or veg you shouldn't walk there unless there is a designated path and the dog should again be kept on a lead, you should always clean up dog mess and other common courtesies.
SMRussell

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:26 pm

The main thing is you bagged a hill and celebrated new years day on a summit :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Nice one SMR - and thanks for the plug! :lol: We too ignored the "no dogs" sign. Personally I view such signs with the same disdain and disregard as I would view a sign that read "no walking here", although I do fully accept that in certain circumstances, I may have to control the activities of my dog as you suggested. It really p****es me off that landowners can erect signs like this (which they have no right to do) and at the same time go around padlocking their gates e.t.c. to restrict free access to the countryside. Anyway, rant over. Glad you enjoyed your day. Interestingly, back in April/May last year when we were looking for a short term rental property, we looked at and were seriously tempted by a little estate gatehouse cottage just at the foot of the wooded glen beneath Black Hill in your photo number 6. I think it is just beyond the trees on the right hand side of your last photo. Shame it was just a little too small for what we needed. I'd have loved to live there for a couple of months!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby monty » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Nice report SMR and some excellent photos. :D
monty

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:21 pm

That looked like a fab wee day out with some no bad photies :)

Cant wait to get back out now the silly season is over....
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:The main thing is you bagged a hill and celebrated new years day on a summit :D

You're quite right - it was still grand to be in the hills :D

Graeme Dewar wrote:Nice one SMR - and thanks for the plug! :lol: We too ignored the "no dogs" sign. Personally I view such signs with the same disdain and disregard as I would view a sign that read "no walking here", although I do fully accept that in certain circumstances, I may have to control the activities of my dog as you suggested.

Any time :wink: Silly unofficial signs like those grind my gears also! There is something passive aggressive about them. I don't see why they can't compromise and put up something which says 'Please keep dogs on a lead when livestock are present' and 'Please clean up after your dog' - surely that would suffice?

monty wrote:Nice report SMR and some excellent photos. :D

Cheers Monty. The light wasn't great and it was difficult to stay still in the wind but some of them turned out okay - I'm pleased this the mushroom snap though 8)

dooterbang wrote: Cant wait to get back out now the silly season is over....

I know what you mean - so many plans scuppered!
SMRussell

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am

The dead sheep photo is possibly a clue to the "no dogs" sign, if thats the case, again it's irresponsible dog owners spoiling it for others. I for one enjoy seeing dogs in the hills as long as owners have them under control which is usually the case, again it's only the minority than ruin it.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Sabbathstevie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 am

SMR & Graeme - thanks for the advice. In all honesty, I'm not up to speed on access rights etc so I didn't take the chance but looking back it's a shame I have to miss out on agreat hill because of it! It does frustrate me (as Johnny points out) that a minority can spoil it for responsible majority (same situation in Edinburgh with the dog owners that live near me but seem to think that clearing up the mess is beneath them!) but maybe if I'd more experience in such situations I'd have just ignored the sign.

As it happens, my Jack Russell, Maggie, is terrified of sheep... :lol:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:56 pm

http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/C233791.pdf
link to leaflet explaining the outdoor access code as it applies to dogs, quite informative and helpful
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Also currently linked to from the big Dogs and the access code banner at the bottom of all forum threads 8) :thumbup:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Sabbathstevie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 am

Paul / Mrs Santa - many thanks for pointing that out. It's funny how your brain adjusts to filter out adverts after a while when browsing webpages - I hadn't even noticed the link! :lol:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Postby SMRussell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:The dead sheep photo is possibly a clue to the "no dogs" sign

Fair point, although it could have been due to natural causes.

Sabbathstevie wrote:Paul / Mrs Santa - many thanks for pointing that out. It's funny how your brain adjusts to filter out adverts after a while when browsing webpages - I hadn't even noticed the link! :lol:

I was thinking the same thing.
SMRussell

Postby Scotia101 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 am

Sabbathstevie wrote:I tried to do this one on the 27th of Dec - got as far as the "no Dogs" sign before me and the dog had to turn around and head off to the Laird's Loch en route to Dundee instead!

Now at least I can see what I missed! :lol:

I wish I had read your review this morning. I went up there today with the dog only to be met with multiple "no dogs" signs. :(

Pity, looks a great walk. It appears it's only the field at the start that has sheep and the dog is always on the lead if there's livestock about.

Like yourself we headed up to Northballo Hill and Lairds Loch.

I shall be reading all reviews before setting out in the future
Scotia101
Mountaineer

Munros:11   Corbetts:5
Fionas:8   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:37   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland