walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New Year's walk around the loch

New Year's walk around the loch

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Route description: Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

Date walked: 01/01/2012

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5.4 km

Ascent: 112m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had big hopes for New Year's time but... Weather really disappointed us. Instead of climbing snowy slopes we had to opt for something much shorter and less demanding. Loch an Eilein walk has been on my list for a while, and it's only a short drive from Inverness. It's a great place to go for the whole family and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially on a nice sunny day. There's a small charge for the parking but apart from that, only pleasant surprises :lol:
Well, we didn't have much luck with Mother Nature :( As we arrived, we caught maybe 15 minutes of decent sunshine, the rest of the walk was done in rain, turning to snow at times. Still we carried on along the loch, tried to enjoy time outdoors as much as it was possible.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

"Piece the resistance" of this route is Loch an Eilein Castle, a picturesque ruin situated on a tiny island. Shame it can only be viewed from shore...
The castle from the loch shore near Visitor's Center:
Close up:
Looking across the loch, still some whiteness on the summits of the Cairngorms:
The ruins again, with background views:
The last moments before rain arrived, it felt more like autumn than winter:
There are many routes and paths to explore on Rothiemurchus Estate and I imagine spending the whole day wandering about these woods and hills. Definitely have to come here again, maybe with bikes...
The rain eventually stopped when the sun was setting...
Clouds moving over hilltops:
Too cold to take a plunge...
So, my first 2012 walk ticked off :lol: Now I'm waiting for opportunities to climb my first 2012 mountain, but first... First it's time to tackle post-Christmas kilograms :shock: :shock: Wish me good luck with that :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: New Year's walk around the loch

Postby quoman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi blackpanther

looks a lovely wee walk and the photos are superb the castle pics are magic
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Huck Finn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks for the report & Pics, This brings back memories, My mum was sent to her aunties during the war, which is a small cottage just up from where your last photo was taken. I went up for visits during the 80s & 90s, I loved it. My mums cousin died a few years ago now, I always wonder what had happened to the cottage, it was owned by the estate, often thought it would have ended up as a holiday cottage. :D
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Have you not considered climbing Sub 2000s? There are some little crackers up Inverness way :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Have you not considered climbing Sub 2000s? There are some little crackers up Inverness way :D

Indeed, as I have just discovered. Ord Ban immediately next to Loch an Eilein looks to have a lot to commend it as well.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Have you not considered climbing Sub 2000s? There are some little crackers up Inverness way :D

Indeed, I have. During last 4 years we've been up a few Marylins, just never bothered to tick them on the map. We considered climbing Ord Ban as it is a good viewpoint over the loch, we just run out of time on Sunday. Nothing lost, though. Another point added to my to-do list.

Thanks for all the comments :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland