walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Loin & attempt on Ben Vane

Glen Loin & attempt on Ben Vane

Postby yokehead » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Route description: Glen Loin and Coiregrograin, Arrochar

Date walked: 24/11/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 648m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

g64.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather forecast 110mph winds so I didn't want to rely on being able to get up a hill, although still wanted a fairly long day out. This walk on WH looked just the job. Very windy setting out from Arrochar, great walk along the path north through Glen Loin despite the pylons - just ignore them they can't take away the beauty of the area anyway.

Clouds keeping just above the tops so good view of A'Chrois on the left - it looks fine and would be worth a visit. Ben Vane, also looking good, then comes into view as you start the drop down toward Coiregrogain. From there, a view up to the Loch Sloy dam and Ben Vorlich. On the road for a bit then turn left down the track to the foot of Ben Vane. I had decided to give Ben Vane a go, see what happens. A bit boggy at first, then onto a small plateau before the steeper part begins. Had a bite to eat.

Moved on up out of the partial shelter of a boulder/bank and the wing was getting real strong. It seemed to get worse even with each metre climbed. A huge blast ripped up dead grass and swirled a cloud of it about around me. There didn't look to be much shelter from the wind higher up, it was only going to be stronger so I canned the climb. A shame, but expected and I still has a long way to go. Back down to the plateau where I then followed a faint path further to the west than the start point. This drops down to the track again and in fact is a better path than the one taken at the start.

Heading west, the track ascends up the glen, nicely sandwiched between the good-looking Ben Vane and A'Chrois, Beinn Ime ahead. Wind still strong but bearable at this lower level. Past the dam and waterfall then a turn to the south between the trees, before reaching a stram crossing and a sharp turn back to the east. A good view up to the end of the glen with the rise to the Bealach A'Mhaim. From here, above the trees, the good-looking knobbled ridges of Ime and Vane looked almost like mirror images. This is the way I want to climb between them when I visit them both in the future. Certainly not to Ime by the boring slog from the bealach!

I had another bite to eat then thought I'd better get a move on. No more photos as just mostly through the trees from here. About an hour before I got back to the car it started to pour down so waterproofs on (lucky it had stayed dry up to now). Once out of the trees on the final 1km I was heading SW into the teeth of the gale, after a few mins I found that the wind was forcing the rain through the Paramo faster than it could deal with it. A great day.

Picture 120.jpg

Picture 121.jpg

Picture 122.jpg

Picture 124.jpg

Picture 126.jpg

Picture 130.jpg

Picture 135.jpg

Picture 138.jpg

Picture 140.jpg

Picture 141.jpg

Picture 143.jpg
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland