walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Manumission!

Manumission!

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 06/01/2012

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I love my job. Apart from teaching its the only thing I've ever wanted to do. It doesn't involve flip charts, blue sky thinking, management speak, thinking 'out of the box', office politics, basically anything that would truly kill me. However because of unprecedented sickness levels I have been putting in a lot of overtime and feel like I am never out of the place and even when I am, I'm thinking about staffing for the next day :( Therefore I have felt somewhat enslaved by it all. To be fair the wages are excellent and the whippings are surprisingly not all that bad :wink: but it was a fab feeling to be given the all clear to take the manacles off and have Friday to myself :D

Rocket Ron and I had been trying hard to get a date sorted to hit the hills but with the weather being a pain and me having limited free time, it was a relief that at last we would get out and about. RR decided that Buachaille Etive Beag would be our target. Equal drive times for us and a short day in what could be unpleasant conditions.

We met at the carpark at 8.50 and were off on our way by 9.00. There was a group of three walkers just ahead of us- smashing they would be providing us with a safe path once we hit the snow :D

And so we started our walk on an excellent path, no bogginess, no scree and even better no ice. You are climbing quite steadily and looking behind you realise you've gained a fair amount height. The views over to A/E ridge were pretty good and Ron pointed out that we would need to get up there soon!!! Soon? are you kidding me??? Surely it would be an idea to wait until maybe there was some scaffolding put up, I mean how much would it cost??? Lomondwalkers and I had a discussion about this and he had an even better idea, use Lego to fill in all the scary bits :lol: The boy's a genius :lol:

Snow began to appear on the path about 500m but didn't cause too many delays in the good progress we were making. So there I was plodding on and I heard the words every female walker wants to hear from a male 15 years younger- 'Can you stop for a minute so that I can catch a breath'!! :lol: I savoured this moment because I knew it would be the one and only time I would take the lead in this walk!

Can't remember how long it took us, maybe 45 minutes (?) and we were at the col.
P1000017.JPG
Ron and Charlie the faithful dog.

Now which way to go? We honestly both said at the same time ' Stob Dubh, while we have the best weather'. Great! No hanging about. The group in front of us had opted for Stob Coire Raineach first, so we would have to find the best way up ourselves :( We were both coping fine just using our poles but as things got a wee bit steeper and slidier Ron suggested I use my microspikes. Yippee! I got to take my Kahtoolas (thanks Rockhopper) out of the box and they were fab, really made me feel a lot more secure. Once the initial ascent was out of the way, we could relax a wee bit and enjoy the walk along the ridge.
P1000020.JPG

There are a couple of cairns along the summit. Ron checked on his GPS and we had actually passed the highest one.
There was a fair amount of snow cornicing (?sp) and as we made our way back to take some photos I had a wee scary slip. Stopped myself right away but a heart-pounder nonetheless. :shock:
P1000018.JPG
RR in blue Haglofs (SD summit)

P1000019.JPG
Me in red Haglofs (SD summit)

Without much ado, we headed back along the ridge and started our descent. We met a single walker and the group of three blokes on the way down and had a quick chat.When it was safe Ron was having fun with some amazing bum slides. I awarded myself a gold star for descending in the step down procedure using my ice axe (at last!) and had no unscheduled slips :D I wasn't being a completely boring old fart and did have fun with some very controlled wee bum slides. Once back at the col, it was time for food. It was 11.40, so we were quite happy with our pace.
P1000021.JPG
Charlie trying to decide who has the best food!

Refreshments out of the way we headed for Stob Coire Raineach (SCR). We had heard quite a lot of noise earlier on but couldn't see who could be making it. This was soon solved when we met a large group of walkers who were on a mountain safety course. They were just coming off SCR and were going to use the rest of their day to have a go at arrests etc. The way up to the summit was pretty easy because of all the earlier traffic :D Unlike SD, there's no prelude to it. You climb to the top and its there! Happy days 8) I should have mentioned that the conditions were deteriorating and therefore any chance of taking decent photos was gubbed- apologies!
P1000022.JPG

P1000023.JPG

P1000025.JPG

Once again Ron led the way safely off the summit. He went on ahead to find the best way and I was thinking how lucky I was to get out with someone who put up with me but then something happened that made me think he'd had enough. Ron stopped to talk to the lone walker we had met earlier. They both looked up at me and Ron made a gesture with his hand indicating that he wanted me to twirl around, and so I did. Why though? They were both shaking their heads! Crikey what was going on? As I neared I saw that the guy was taking a set of poles off his rucsac and then it dawned on me...Ron was trying to get rid!!!
Lone walker---' Crikey, she doesn't look too great'
Ron-----'Aye I know she's old but she does have her own teeth'
Lone walker----' Okay, I give you a set of poles but I'm not throwing in a buff as well'
Me.....'Hi, what's up?'
Ron----'You left your poles at the col and this kind guy has brought them up for you!!!'

Oooooops :oops: :oops: :oops:

As we reached the col we could see the master class in self arrests taking place.
P1000032.JPG

Ron was still having fun with endless bum slides and I decided to have one more before we rejoined the path- big mistake!!! One minute I'm having a great time the next I'm hurtling towards my companion at what seemed like 60mph! Despite Ron's efforts to slow me down I kept going! Even Casey Jones couldn't stop this Cannonball Express!!! And why was I not stopping? I was using the pick side of my axe head rather than the adze-eejit. Needless to say, I did stop but that's only because I had decided to polish a rather large number of stones with my rear end. :( While it was a wee bit sore, it wasn't as bad as the look of horror on Ron's face. I assured him I was a tough old burd and that having four layers covering my lower half meant that no injury had occured :D

The rest of the descent was pretty uneventful apart from me exercising my ability to find really deep snow holes :(

P1000033.JPG
Looking back.

Once we were back at the car, time was noted and it took us 4 hours 30 minutes approx :D Fabbie!!
And so it was off to the Kingshouse for a well deserved drink in front of the lovely warm fire :D

Brilliant day out with an excellent chappie :thumbup:

Time to head home with my present from Ron, he knows I like Swedish stuff.
P1000038.JPG

Next time I'll treat him to something Swedish :crazy: :crazy:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Manumission!

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:12 pm

A great read as usual Polly.

Glad your arse is ok :shock: :lol:

Swedish massage next???
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:49 pm

LOL thats twice now. You have walked with me both times you went home black and blue.
When you went for a flyer the second time. I did try to stand in your way to stop you. You knocked me off my feet. I then seen you heading for the rocks. I knew that would be sore. Thought you might of broken something. But the only thing you broke. Was the rocks you went over :lol:
The choclate thought you would like that. Picked it up when i was over in sweden. Earlier in the week helping Haglofs design. There new spring/summer range

Over all good day out. With good company. Which turned out to be a poor weather day :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby SMRussell » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:56 pm

This was a great read Polly - sounds like an eventful day - can't believe you committed an ice axe faux pas after passing a mountain safety class doing arrests :lol: Hope you've come out with out too many bruises!

P.S Microspikes rule!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:59 pm

well done on making it home safe :shock: that Ron sounds as if he has tried to beat you about a bit :lol: i take it he didn`t realise you were from Ruggie ? :lol: pity the weather wasn`t a bit better for your walk. and as for the ice axe mistake, it must be hard to remember everything right first time you fall, you should maybe practice going down castlemilk drive, don`t worry if you don`t have an axe with you, i`m sure the natives will provide you with one :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:59 pm

dooterbang wrote:A great read as usual Polly.

Glad your arse is ok :shock: :lol:

Swedish massage next???

Cheers Paul.

Lots of bruises but not too much pain :thumbup:

Naw maybe some those meatballs from Ikea, he loves his meat!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:02 pm

I never had my micro spikes with me. Even when we started walk. I decided to leave crampons. In the car. I should off had them with me. The snow was hard compacted. I just managed to kick in steps. With my 4 season boots on.
NOTE to myself take crampons
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:04 pm

rocket-ron wrote:LOL thats twice now. You have walked with me both times you went home black and blue.
When you went for a flyer the second time. I did try to stand in your way to stop you. You knocked me off my feet. I then seen you heading for the rocks. I knew that would be sore. Thought you might of broken something. But the only thing you broke. Was the rocks you went over :lol:
The choclate thought you would like that. Picked it up when i was over in sweden. Earlier in the week helping Haglofs design. There new spring/summer range

Over all good day out. With good company. Which turned out to be a poor weather day :D

Ron, you're some man!!!

Thanks for looking out for me- sorry about the game of human skittles :( :(

You go to the Haglofs factory without me and you're dead!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:07 pm

SMRussell wrote:This was a great read Polly - sounds like an eventful day - can't believe you committed an ice axe faux pas after passing a mountain safety class doing arrests :lol: Hope you've come out with out too many bruises!

P.S Microspikes rule!

Thanks SM.

Strangely enough I pictured the instructor pointing over to me and saying ......'and that's what happens if you don't pay attention' :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:08 pm

pollyh33 wrote:
rocket-ron wrote:LOL thats twice now. You have walked with me both times you went home black and blue.

Ron, you're some man!!!

Thanks for looking out for me- sorry about the game of human skittles :( :(

You go to the Haglofs factory without me and you're dead!

Dont worry they have invited me over again later in the year to help them. Design there winter range :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:12 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:well done on making it home safe :shock: that Ron sounds as if he has tried to beat you about a bit :lol: i take it he didn`t realise you were from Ruggie ? :lol: pity the weather wasn`t a bit better for your walk. and as for the ice axe mistake, it must be hard to remember everything right first time you fall, you should maybe practice going down castlemilk drive, don`t worry if you don`t have an axe with you, i`m sure the natives will provide you with one :lol:

Oh aye Tommy, there were a few bruises but at least I didn't leave mentally scarred like poor Ron!!! :lol:

:lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:16 pm

pollyh33 wrote:
tomyboy73 wrote:well done on making it home safe :shock: that Ron sounds as if he has tried to beat you about a bit :lol: i take it he didn`t realise you were from Ruggie ? :lol: pity the weather wasn`t a bit better for your walk. and as for the ice axe mistake, it must be hard to remember everything right first time you fall, you should maybe practice going down castlemilk drive, don`t worry if you don`t have an axe with you, i`m sure the natives will provide you with one :lol:

Oh aye Tommy, there were a few bruises but at least I didn't leave mentally scarred like poor Ron!!! :lol:

:lol:

No you just left a scarred hill. Instead of boulders. Its now all scree. You broke that many stones
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:09 pm

RR you'd better tell the Avalanche service it was Polly that cleared that huge gouge out the hill or they'll have signs up all over warning of the dangers of these snow prone slopes !! :lol:

Polly you beat me to it when I read it...re the instructor telling the students "now look over there boys and girls and that's how not to do it".

Nice one.

PS glad you put the photo of the chocolate after the note 'my present from Ron he knows I like Swedish' phew ! :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:24 pm

well done folks... i like these 2 munros :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby pigeon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:51 pm

Another good one polly and rocket ron,no the best weather but sounds like yous had a great wee day :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland