walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath Chuil In The Snow

Sgiath Chuil In The Snow

Postby Rossco » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 05/01/2012

Time taken: 6.09 hours

Distance: 10.9 km

Ascent: 936m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day, another snowy walk in the hills.

Although I had not planned it this like. The weather for Jan 5th was looking a bit bleak and cloudy. I was fully expecting to be wading through huge puddles of water and getting drenched by rain all day without a summit view in sight. How wrong I was. :D

Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas were the plan for the day. Having not even reached them on Jan 3rd due to the winds I was determined to get them done on this day so had another early start for a change to give us enough time. Picked up my pal Jamie and had arrived at Auchessan at the Glen Dochart side for 9am. On the way, after turning right at Crianlarich, we were surprised by the task that lay ahead of us. I wasn't expecting so much snow on the hills and both Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil were COVERED from quite low down. Immediately I said that we probably won't manage both now and might have to turn back even before finishing one since we didn't have crampons. But may as well give it a try and see how far we could go!

We had various new kit to get sorted and my routine of taping my feet up like a boxer before a big fight to do beforehand so didn't hit the track until 9.30am. Someone from the farm told us they were bull stalking between Meall Glas and the farms so to try and stay clear of the area. So that pretty much decided for us which hill we would attempt. Sgiath Chuil. We would probably have went for that one anyway even without the stalking going on as Meall Glas looked the most treacherous as it seemed to have a thicker covering of snow.

So off we set, all kitted up and ready for a snowy day, hoping the blue skies stayed blue. There was no snow until about 300m and before that was pure bog and s**t on account of all the cows we passed and the area around the river that they frequented. :lol: There were signs out for hill walkers so it was pretty straight forward to get past all the houses and out into the open.

Ready to rock! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Pure Bog by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Myself and Ben More (1174m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Once we reached the snow it was like a different hill. Gone was all the muddy boggy grass and just surrounded by a blanket of pure white fresh snow. It was amazing. Made even better by the fact the sun was still shining bright with hardly a cloud in site. It was here though we started to realise how scary walking in deep snow can be. You're walking along quite the thing then all of a sudden you make a step and you're knee deep in snow and mud. The first few times we were cursing it then it just came to be expected and had a laugh every time it happened. Although there were a few dodgy ones that were deeper than most! :?

Jamie after another fall! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Sgiath Chuil (921m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Ben More (1174m) et al by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Me after another fall and Sgiath Chuil (921m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Pushing on further, we realised there would definitely be no way we could have done both these hills in these conditions unless we were there earlier and just got our heads down and walked all day. I'm glad we didn't do this though as it was hard work stepping through the snow so you needed the odd rest to catch your breath and give your legs a break. And take some pictures of course along with munching on some fresh snow to keep you hydrated!

Enjoying some tasty snow along side Meall Glas (957m)! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Enjoying some tasty snow! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Because of the amount of snow, walking along the path wasn't really an option, we just had to find our own way which was fine for the most part until we came to the river. I knew the path crossed a bridge further up but it seemed a bit more out the way than where we were so we just decided to find a place to jump it. It was quite dodgy though as the rocks were slippery and the snow on the bank made it hard to tell where the hard ground that you could plant your feet safely on. We both just about made it over though without falling in. We headed for the dam at this point to stop for food. The wind became quite strong so we wanted some shelter while we stopped and the high dam walls were perfect for this.

Just about made it over with dry feet! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Footsteps and Ben More (1174m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Our view for lunch from the dam by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Re-energised after some hot homemade soup we set off again. The snow was getting thicker and harder by this point. So it became a lot tougher to step in and out of because of the height of it but also because you had to slam your foot down to break into it sometimes. From here until the summit though was the best part of the day. The hill got steeper, the wind got faster and the snow got thicker & icier. It was time for my first real need for an axe and it worked a treat in helping me stay upright and to kick steps into the snow. We would take turns in leading here as it was hard work doing this and tired you out quickly whereas the person at the back would just calmly walk up the steps already made for you. :lol: I've got quite light boots too which I think would make it that bit more difficult than having big proper heavy winter ones. There were a few occasions where crampons would have been helpful as it was a bit icy but this was mainly on the flattish section between the various summits and not really on the actual climbs.

Getting closer to Sgiath Chuil (921m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Jamie powering ahead towards the summit! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Getting icy on Sgiath Chuil (921m)! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

[youtube]http://youtu.be/5nKiYZ69g1Y[/youtube]

Made it to the summit roughly 3.5 hours after we started including a few stops. While taking some photos here though I realised how icy it was. I sat down to take a shot and all of a sudden I was sliding downhill on the rock and nothing I could do to stop it. Luckily it was only 15-20ft so it was quite funny just sitting there sliding not being in control but also a lesson of how dangerous it can be up there. We stumbled about a bit longer taking photos and admiring the amazing views all around before seeking shelter from the wind on the east side of the summit and a quick food stop.

Made it to the summit of Sgiath Chuil (921m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Number 3 at Sgiath Chuil (921m) by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Looking North from Sgiath Chuil (921m) summit by Rossco 7, on Flickr

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Lv-XIcbca_s[/youtube]

By the time we started the descent, it was 1.30pm and I was worried we might not make it back in daylight as it took us so long to get up there in the snow. But progress felt a lot faster going downhill and didn't need to stop as much for breaks either. We followed our footsteps back the way we came for the most part until we reached the dam. We then headed for the bridge this time to cross the river that way and split up from the previous route for a change of scenery. At one point I think we ended up walking across a small frozen lochain or big puddle as we were just chatting away when all of a sudden I pretty much disappeared up past my waist down a hole. My feet were soaking, I instantly felt the water fill my boots and for a second or two I thought I was really going to struggle to get out. Just as I was about to shout for Jamie to grab me though I managed to get a grip and pull myself up. Pretty scary for those few seconds! :shock: There were a few more moments like this for the last hour or so as we both kept going knee deep into bogs. Feet were dripping by the end of the day but we made it back to the car in plenty time and were on the road for 4pm with plenty daylight still left.

Taking a break and enjoying the view by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Meall Glas (957m). We'll get you another day! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Arrrrgghhhh!! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

Found the bridge this time at Sgiath Chuil (921m)! by Rossco 7, on Flickr

The weather changed what seems like quite a straight forward, unpopular hill into an absolutely belter of a day and one I won't forget for a long time. If this is a sign of what 2012 has to offer then bring it on. I can't wait for more days like this! :D

24 down, 259 to go...

Sgiath-Chuil.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sgiath Chuil Profile.png

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1407938
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Re: Sgiath Chuil In The Snow

Postby SMRussell » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:44 pm

This sounds like great fun! I love that the snow can give even the most straight forward (and a tad dull) hills some spice! I love the video from the summit and the photos are cracking :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:39 pm

That looks fantastic what a difference a bit of sunshine makes
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:26 am

Another excellant report Rossco along with the now expected superb photos :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Steve B » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:36 am

Nice report, looked like a good day. I had a different experience a week or so ago. Good to see what it should look like.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Rossco » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks guys. :) My best day in the hills so far!
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby Jamie Steel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:12 pm

What a day that was! Still think the views up there that day were the best that I have seen to date.

And you sliding down that cairn! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jamie Steel
Mountain Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:1
Walk wish-list

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland