walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich solo, maybe next time

Ben Donich solo, maybe next time

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 09/01/2012

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first solo walk, well had they dog for company. Chose Ben Donich as it was close and had done it before. I was concerned how the dog would handle the crevaces, but she is good at being put over fences so wasnt too bothered.
Arrived at the car park 8.50am, tried to text Susan to let her know we were starting, no phone signal, so as arranged if no text then no signal.
It was raining heavy when first stated off, The weather forcast had been for sunny and dry with 15kmh winds. 100m ascent and the rain stopped so packed my waterproof away, anothe 50m ascent and I swapped my hat for my balacava as it was getting blown off?? It was dry, and had a wind chill of -6 which I was happy with, but the force of the wind and the sudden gusts were a concern. It was a long time ago we climbed this hill and I wasnt sure how close we we went to the edge.
Got to 680m and the cloud base came down, along with hail and rain. We took shelter for 5 minutes, putting the waterproofs back on. The dog was then having her mad turn running in circles on the snow.
Desicion made, I was losing sight of the dog, wind was so strong it was blowing me onto my knees, and now couldnt see for hail and rain stinging my eyes, so reluctantly we turned back.
Was nearly off the hill when the clouds broke and the sun came out :(
But I think it was the right move with the wind. So now I know if the forecast says 30mph winds its too windy to stand up.
IMG_5013.jpg
Start

IMG_5019.jpg
The gate that doesnt close

IMG_5027.jpg
Dog running up and down to keep warm

IMG_5035.jpg
Could be a nice day

IMG_5042.jpg
Then the cloud comes in

IMG_5044.jpg
The mountain was last seen in this direction

IMG_5047.jpg
Can we go home now

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRZZAceqCcY&feature=share[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWSMFNtBYB0&context=C364101fADOEgsToPDskL5tnzNOex31rWSZJ1-ZQ6Y[/youtube]
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Donich solo, maybe next time

Postby magicdin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:45 pm

"The gate that doesn't close"

Yes - remember seeing that the last time I was on the hill :lol:
SAM_2419.JPG
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:43 pm

reminds me of this gate, which had us in stitches.
gate.jpg
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby yokehead » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:44 pm

Good stuff on your first solo outing. If turning back felt right for you then, yes, it was the right decision.

Was nearly off the hill when the clouds broke and the sun came out

Yep, sounds about right, usually the way!

If your weather forecast was for wind at sea level it would be at least twice that speed higher. 30mph wouldn't blow you over so sounds like you got it a fair bit worse. :(

Was there a few weeks ago, I too remember that gate! :lol:
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm toying with going walking very early on Saturday morning (early enough to do the first hour in the dark) and I'm tempted by this hill as I'm trying to forget about simply ticking Munro's off the list by climbing Corbetts as well. If I do go up hopefully I get better weather than you :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:29 am

Good effort Allan, at least you got out there. Every trip provides greater info and experience for the next one :wink: not sure what to make of that gate, reminds me of a scene from 'Blazing Saddles' :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby allansmitchell » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:36 am

Fudgie wrote:I'm toying with going walking very early on Saturday morning (early enough to do the first hour in the dark) and I'm tempted by this hill as I'm trying to forget about simply ticking Munro's off the list by climbing Corbetts as well. If I do go up hopefully I get better weather than you :D

If you do, when you reach the 600m mark stay on the path, there are hidden crevaces just next to the path from approx that height up, some are metres deep but all enough to break a leg
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 pm

allansmitchell wrote:
Fudgie wrote:I'm toying with going walking very early on Saturday morning (early enough to do the first hour in the dark) and I'm tempted by this hill as I'm trying to forget about simply ticking Munro's off the list by climbing Corbetts as well. If I do go up hopefully I get better weather than you :D

If you do, when you reach the 600m mark stay on the path, there are hidden crevaces just next to the path from approx that height up, some are metres deep but all enough to break a leg

Cheers. The MWIS forecast will decide if I go so hopefully it looks good. A day like today would be ideal.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland