walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Walk of the New Year

First Walk of the New Year

Postby prophetofdom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Route description: Old Coffin Road, near Abriachan

Date walked: 07/01/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4.2 km

Ascent: 301m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First walk of the New Year, albeit a little short. Had a little time to kill before starting work in Drumnadrochit so decided to do this wee little walk starting from the Loch Ness Hotel on the A82. Many times I have passed this spot and seen the sign at the head of the car park saying “Woodland Walk” and today I had the opportunity to investigate.
I believe it was part of an old coffin trail leading up to Abriachan and indeed it is a relentlessly climbing path however it has ample rewards with excellent views over Loch Ness to the hills behind Errogie and Dores on the far side.

Although in winter it is easy to see through the trees even in summer you would still get excellent views from this walk and eventually it gets to a wee plateau with a wee bench. Or on a dry day or the night of a full moon I might head up here with a book and a bottle of wine alongside a picnic and ensconce myself in the heather and soak up a days worth of stunning views and moonlight or warm sunshine.

Today we carried on past this viewpoint and to a solid dirt track that lead a further kilometre along side the forest to reach a wee place called Balchraggan were between the house we found a clear, but very wet path, through a charming stand of Alder and Birch trees that lead back to the coffin track and down to the Loch Ness Lodge. Short simple and enjoyable walk.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

prophetofdom
Hill Bagger

Munros:108   Corbetts:20
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland