walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

by scoob999 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar, Tolmount

Date walked: 19/11/2011

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 35 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:54 am

That was interesting - you seem to have visited some of the tops I haven't got round to doing yet :lol:

That made a good read. I've often made the same mistake trusting my sense of direction rather than the compass, although never quite on that scale :shock: . Although I've sort of learned, I still think I can get one over on the compass on occasion :?

Interesting to hear about Taylor94 as well. I never doubted that he was out on these hills but he does fantasize a bit with the details!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby orion » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 pm

No need to be embarrassed Scoob. Now that it`s happened to you once the odds are that it will never happen again :D

Alex.
orion

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 pm

I was reading that thinking that it seems to be going from bad to worse and although I was obviously reading something you've written after the event, I still didn't know how you would get out of that situation. It was certainly interesting :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby KeithS » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Excellent report, I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing your experience. Of course there are lessons to learn there, for all of us. You've admitted to making mistakes. We all make mistakes. You didn't go into the hills unprepared. At the worst you made errors of judgement and relied too much on SOD. Quite understandable when you are tired and getting worried. We are all guilty of doing that.
I would say that going into the hills unprepared is premeditated and foolish.
Making errors in the hills is a different matter, I don't see any stupidity in what you did, you just made some decisions which in retrospect turned out to be wrong and you have been very honest in admitting to them and sharing them so others may learn.
Very happy that their was such a successful outcome, and of course great praise for MRT
Thank you for sharing your report
Well done
Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby PeteR » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:23 pm

I always think its good that the more experienced walkers post reports like this. I think its a powerful message to us all that these hills take no prisoners and can be savage as well as stunning.

I can remember the feeling of panic myself when my jaunt to the south glen shiel ridge last year went all pear shaped. Walking off the hill in the dark, tired (well, exhausted by the end), with mist and clag rolling in and visibility as you described with a headtorch being nil was not fun. Thankfully for me the route was always going to be relatively easy to follow, but once your head is messed up that doesn't always matter.

And thankfully you made it out of your experience in one piece :D - and there can be no shame in benefiting from the excellent support of MRT. At least you were well equiped, unlike many a tourist that goes a wandering from time to time and is needing to be rescued.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby morag1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:58 pm

A frightening story but glad you survived it ok

Well done to the mountain rescue guys - real life heroes :thumbup:
morag1

Postby lomondwalkers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Good on you for posting such an honest account of what went wrong. The MRT do a truly remarkable job. Glad you made it out of there with nothing more than your pride damaged :)
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:25 pm

kevsbald wrote:Now THAT is an epic - planning anything to raise money for the MRT? I'll sponsor you.

I am working on a walk at the moment for later on this year when the days start stretching
I'm thinking about doing the 3 big bens! To be honest i dont know if i can collect money? but if anyone would like to pledge a donation when i do it that would be brill
http://www.justgiving.com/
http://www.mrcofs.org/
Thats the site i use
Stuart
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby StevieM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Cracking report, Stuart :thumbup: Just one of lifes little hiccups mate. Its behind you now, move on. Oh and congrats on reaching and exceeding the half ton on Sunday[munros] :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stevie
StevieM
Munro compleatist

Munros:103   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:10   

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:23 pm

StevieM wrote:Cracking report, Stuart :thumbup: Just one of lifes little hiccups mate. Its behind you now, move on. Oh and congrats on reaching and exceeding the half ton on Sunday[munros] :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stevie

Thanks bud, and its one i can pronounce aswell :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby quoman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi scoob999

Just read this report what a day you had HOLLY F**** glad you put this on to make us all think what could go wrong glad you made it out well done again.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby rocket-ron » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Well done scoob
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby daveh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Great report and an epic day out too.
In my experience MRT happy to assist early doors rather than late on with big search and all the team out.well done on letting people on here learn from the day.
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Honest,Frank,Scarey,Funny,Brilliant,& the main thing was,you got home safe to tell your tale.

As for the MRT guys.................RESPECT.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm intrigued :-?

You suggest you met Taylor94 on these hills on 19th November 2011 - and your photos confirm that date.

However, Taylor94 did these hills on 6 December 2011 and his photos and blog confirm that date.

Was there a Delorian up on the hills?
foggieclimber

50 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland