walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

by scoob999 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar, Tolmount

Date walked: 19/11/2011

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 35 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

Postby magicdin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 pm

blase - BDNFTT
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:35 pm

magicdin wrote:blase - BDNFTT

??? Just gonna see if i can edit that bit out of my report
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:38 pm

scoob999 wrote:
magicdin wrote:blase - BDNFTT

??? Just gonna see if i can edit that bit out of my report

DELETED!
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:53 pm

I think the whole thing about SoD versus what your compass and/or GPS device is telling you is a very pertinent one. Dooterbang has made the point that recently it was his SoD that was correct whereas his compass was faulty (pardon the Basil pun!). No reason why a GPS could not also be faulty. But I also know from previous experience on Carn Bhac (as I alluded to in my recent report) that in very poor visibility your SoD can be completely screwed. You can literally be walking in a circle while it is telling you that you are walking a straight line between two points on the map. My colleagues and I from school are always telling kids when we are out on expeditions that you should never absolutely trust one "source of navigational information" in isolation - you use all sources available to build up a picture that you can then question and test and establish if your original assumption or decision was correct. Easy to do on nice days with no pressure - somewhat harder in situations like this!

I think the key then really is to allow yourself the time to take stock, give yourself a bit a breathing space and assess the situation and the options and not to rush into one course of action or another because you're convinced that one or other "navigational device" is always necessarily correct. I did this last week but one thing in hindsight that I didn't do, and was certainly an oversight on my part, was to check the compass reading again .....and again if need be. Yeah, I probably did misread it (as I said I somehow have a tendency to do with this particular one for some reason!) but it was only later that this occurred to me, and by then I'd pretty much re-established what was going on and there was no going back because the will had been lost.

Very interesting insight into the workings of MRT as well scoob. Don't think I've ever read a report before that details how they operated in a call-out quite as clearly as yours does. Cheers!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby KeithS » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Don't ask about Taylor 94, you'll set people off again!!! :roll:
Last edited by KeithS on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby magicdin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:57 pm

oops - I did it again
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Bod » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Hey hey skoob, told you....hehe
Great report and well up for the Rescue boys!
:)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Interesting point about compass malfunction - although I know that I should trust it over my sense of direction (which is easy to lose), I have actually had compasses break down on me on two occasions. The first time, it was just a hunch, but it turned out to be a good one. The second time, I was in the middle of a really fiddly bit of Knoydart, but I knew that I had to keep going in a direction that took me upwards, even though the compass pointed elsewhere. While both were in thick cloud, neither were in a white-out or the dark thankfully. Thing is, these have been vastly outnumbered by the times when I didn't trust the compass but should've done. Usually I head off from a summit in a white-out, before feeling like I'm going the wrong way and retracing my steps. Re-taking the bearing and trying again always has me following the same footprints though!

One thing - does pay not to keep your compass next to any electronic equipment!
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:18 am

Scoob, cracker brought back a few memories for me from over the years.

Strange how your willimgness to accept compass/GPS over you SOD seems to go out the window as your visibility decreases ! I've done the same, in fact have used compass on a clear day to confirm direction off a summit where all directions look the same AND found that without doing it I would have gone off the wrong way......How I think that I can somehow do without compass or GPS when all around is Scotch mist is beyond me....lessons learned now, which is why you'll more often than not, check route off any summit (plus the checks through the day).

As somoene else said though its a combination of things, not least good old 'tick off features' those points along your chosen track that the map shows you should pass en route. This being one of the failings of some GPS units whereby just a route is followed or waypoints but not against a map, so there is no knowledge of the terrain even to the extent of whether you should be going up or down at any given point. Aiming off also a great technique, especially when you need to hit a point to ensure your on track.

Still this isn't a navigation course on here, but the point being a map (along with the other usual aids) contains a lot more info than many give it credit..and how many with built on maps, actually zoom in for the detail...zooming out for the wider picture is one reason why I don't like them over a map. I also enjoy reading a map as a most would a book as you can explore before you actually get there so you already have a picture in your mind.

BUT and its a big BUT, all the above is not much use when you are exhausted, your mind is a like a bag of bolts and you really just want to lay down. Even finding your going uphill when feeling like this is a downer in itself and it can often be mental exhauston that will finish you off and not the physical, the latter always seeming to have a reserve however knackered you feel.

Enough of my waffle, great read Scoob and having had the luxury of getting bits of the story first hand and now the full piece, I'm still more than happy to bag plenty more hills with you ! :D :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby scoob999 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:20 am

Very interesting insight into the workings of MRT as well scoob. Don't think I've ever read a report before that details how they operated in a call-out quite as clearly as yours does. Cheers![/quote]

To be honest, the calls lasted longer than i said. I thought i gave a close enough account of what was said without
boring people to much.
But judging by the feedback so far, i probably couldv'e went into more detail. It really is a weird feeling when there explaining whats going on. Its hard to put into words, but you kinda feel safe, but also scared and insignificant! Like i said, weird?
While i'm on the subject, although they got to me at 1.30ish, it was a long walk, then drive out. we never got back to the base till about 5ish i think
Thanks
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks for that Spider
Its just as well, as i'm not allowed out on my own (part of the Ts and Cs of my rescue) :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:00 am

well done for making a scary situation a hilarious read :lol: :lol: and for your honesty , think that`s the first time i`ve read of a rescue report on a forum
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby daveh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:14 am

Good to know Mrt there to help and in my experience they would rather do a quick hasty search up the trade routes.this saves a big team callout later on.you made the right decision to get Mrt in involved although it appears this already done?
Thanks for posting
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 am

spiderwebb wrote: I also enjoy reading a map as a most would a book

You old luddite you!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scoob, I trust the MRT guys gave you a good strong drink when you got back to base, even though it was well after/before opening time???? Better still, were they carrying a hip flask when they found you??? I'm sure you needed strong drink after that one! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby brpro26 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:44 am

:shh: ..T94... :silent:

Interesting report and favorable outcome on a navigational disaster. It's easy done thanks for sharing it. :thumbup:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

50 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland