walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

by scoob999 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar, Tolmount

Date walked: 19/11/2011

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 35 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Basil Faulty goes walkabout at Lochnagar

Postby starrynights » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Even though it's obvious you are ok (ie we are reading your report!!) - this made for a frightening read - almost had to skip to the 'last page' - I couldn't stand the tension. :shock:

I got lost for about 3 hours only a couple of miles from home a few years back - dreaded having to call MRT as mine was a serious case of stupidity - no map, etc. You shouldn't feel embarrassed - this just shows even the most well prepared and experienced walkers can come unstuck and reinforces the case for doing all you can to be in safe in the hills. So glad you made it down safe.

ps Do the Scottish MRT cover Mt Babadag?? :wink: sorry, couldn't resist :) (Shame you can't make Liathach)
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:50 pm

[quote="starrynights"

ps Do the Scottish MRT cover Mt Babadag?? :wink: sorry, couldn't resist :) (Shame you can't make Liathach)[/quote]

:lol: :lol: Nice one. no but i can get a bus down from the summit :crazy: My kind of mountain :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby starrynights » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 pm

scoob999 wrote: Nice one. no but i can get a bus down from the summit :crazy: My kind of mountain :lol: :lol:

And there's me thinking you'd take the safer route - paraglider!!

Have you ever been on a Turkish bus :crazy: :lol:
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby ally63 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi Scoob, you replied to my report on my first (and 2nd) munros last week and i've just come across your intrepid tale. wow!! I can relate to so many of your feelings that day, the blind panic, the feeling of c**pping yourself :shock: , and probably the worst of all, the sheer frustration at getting in that position in the first place.

I too attempted a 999 at one stage but had no signal and it was only that reason that forced me to make one last effort at getting to a known point. In hindsight I should have called earlier but felt such an idiot for being in that situation. All I could think of was putting other people at risk because of my stupidity. What changed my mind was remembering an article i'd read a day before that the MRT would rather be called out and then stood down :thumbup: than be called out to recover a body :thumbdown:

Your epic is worthy of an episode of 24 all to itself. As you quite rightly said to me, you just want to get back out there and maybe it's to make amends or prove that you can be responsible. having said that, sometimes s**t happens and we all have to deal with it the best we can. My son txtd me after my first munro congratulating me on beating the mountain. I txtd back saying you don't beat the mountain - they LET you climb them if they're in the mood!!

respect anyway for your honesty...and success

ally
ally63
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:14   

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:37 pm

[quote="ally63"] they LET you climb them if they're in the mood!!

Well said i never thought about it like that before
I'm glad you were out of signal if you know what i mean :? cause when your on your own it focuses you mind on what you need to do, and i'm sure you'll have a greater respect for the mountains than you did before :D
Again, well done for recovering well and making it out safely :D
Stuart
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby daveh » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Reckon making the call is a tough decision but if in signal then Mrt can sometimes talk you down.the teams know their areas pretty well and the known mistakes people tend to make.if in doubt or you feel it could get serious then it maybe decision time.
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:49 pm

daveh wrote:Reckon making the call is a tough decision but if in signal then Mrt can sometimes talk you down.the teams know their areas pretty well and the known mistakes people tend to make.if in doubt or you feel it could get serious then it maybe decision time.

Aye but that decision is never an easy one to make, especially if its through your own stupidity :( but it has to be made!
And respect for you guys helping out us eejits :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby 147cjl » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:00 pm

glad it worked out in the end courtesy of MRT
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby daveh » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Scoob you are welcome just avoid my area!
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:25 pm

daveh wrote:Scoob you are welcome just avoid my area!

:lol: Dont worry, i'll be good :thumbup: :roll:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Don't panic, he's with me now....!

My old walking pals use to call me Maps !! :lol:

No probs with the navigation (recommend a wnter Nav course as well to hone any previous skills). Still can't be good at everything...my timings suck !! as the wife will testify ! :lol: (ref an earlier post of mine)
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby fipriestley » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm

So glad I got to share the return visit Scoob - great detailed report, thanks for sharing :)
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby LJgee » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Ok well done on the posting, here was me coming for some inspiration for Saturday, and I chose yours to read. My husband hates me hill walking and this would probably put him over the edge, so I dont think I will show him your report.
My hat goes off to you for being honest and posting.
Not sure where to go now.
LJgee
Munro compleatist

Munros:177   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:10

Postby Paul_Antonia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Just read this and I reckon it could well be the most useful TR I've read to date. A sobering lesson for anyone who goes out into the hills.
You certainly don't need to beat yourself up over it ( although I can understand your embarrassment at the time ) in fact you should be, and have been, congratulated for your courage and thoughtfulness in posting this.
Repect to the MRT. We'll certainly be donating to them. So good to know they are there if needed.
Glad everything ended well and safely.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby solosond » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Wow Scoob! Guess there will be quite a few outdoor fans reading your gripping narrative and visualising-"There by the grace of God go I"
Your unfortunate experience certainly wil refocus me on the need to avoid complacency when navigating. It has also reminded me how errors can compound into disasters. Fortunately you have been able to put all that happened to you down to the character building benefits apparent in your desire to share this with others!
solosond
Mountaineer

50 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland