walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui - My very first Munro

Ben Macdui - My very first Munro

by ally63 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 11/01/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 2810m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Macdui - My very first Munro

Postby monty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 am

Hi Ally. Glad you had a successful day. I am not going to comment on your choice of route, alone, as I will just get my knickers in a twist. However it turned out ok in the end.

We have a meeting in Kintail in march, why don't you come along? Details in the meetings forum . :D
monty

Postby ally63 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 pm

We have a meeting in Kintail in march, why don't you come along? Details in the meetings forum

Hi Monty, I've been following that thread as it happens....seems like a good opportunity to have my first taste of whisky :sick: I can get direct flights to Inverness from Belfast. Have you any idea how long it would be driving from Inverness to Kintail? Believe it or not it's cheaper flying and hiring a car than taking my own car across on the boat!! I'm back in work tomorrow so i'll check leave situation.
ally63
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:14   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Ally,

if you could get to Fort William or Invergarry from Inverness, I'd be glad to drive you along to the Kintail area - I'm coming from Glasgow and was hoping to grab a couple of Munros (A'Chralaig and partner) on the way so let me know what you think.

Kev
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi Ally,
Its approximately 75 miles from Inverness to Morvich, Kyle of lochalsh. However if you got a bus to Fort William from Inverness then Kev may be able to pick you up. It would need a bit of accurate planning though. :D
monty

Postby ally63 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:33 pm

kevsbald wrote:Ally,

if you could get to Fort William or Invergarry from Inverness, I'd be glad to drive you along to the Kintail area - I'm coming from Glasgow and was hoping to grab a couple of Munros (A'Chralaig and partner) on the way so let me know what you think.

Kev
monty wrote:Hi Ally,
Its approximately 75 miles from Inverness to Morvich, Kyle of lochalsh. However if you got a bus to Fort William from Inverness then Kev may be able to pick you up. It would need a bit of accurate planning though. :D

Thanks guys, if i can get the time off it shouldn't be too difficult getting there somehow. I would love to make it over if possible. The chance to get a few more climbs (supervised this time and on a lead if necessary :) ) is too good to let travel logistics get in the way. I should warn you all that I've never drank whisky (or is it whiskey?!) in my life. Is it a prerequisite that I should have??

Cheers, Ally
ally63
Munro compleatist

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Whisky is not a pre-requisite unless you want to enjoy Monty's singing....
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby ally63 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:43 pm

monty wrote:Hi Ally,
Kev and Monty - taken me too long getting back
kevsbald wrote:Ally,

Kev

Eventually I get replying to this. I'm sacrificing the obvious joys of a weekend with you whisky drinkers to take a week long Winter Skills Course at the start of March. It's being taken by Tollymore Outdoor Centre (based over here in NI) and coincidentally takes place in the Cairngorms :D

The more I thought about my first venture in the Scottish Mountains, the more I realised I had a lot to learn and, being the impatient type, felt this is a good way to get the basics that will allow me to tackle future trips more responsibly. Not that we ever stop learning but there was such a void in my knowledge/experience that I owe it to myself (and members of MRTs) to treat the topic with the respect it deserves.

All very serious isn't it :!: Anyway, on this occasion, Kintail will have to wait. I'll look forward to reading all about it and hopefully seeing the pictures :shock:

Cheers

Ally
ally63
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland