walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Munro; The Three Must Get Beers; and Dogtanian

First Munro; The Three Must Get Beers; and Dogtanian

by andrewdoggett » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 14/01/2012

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 949m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: First Munro; The Three Must Get Beers; and Dogtanian

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Looks like a great day had by all
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Alan S » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:03 pm

:D :lol: Great video :lol:
Some great pics there 8) and well done to the lad
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby mgmt! » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:51 pm

andrewdoggett wrote:
Alastair S wrote:Andrew - a nice set of photos right enough but this report seriously disturbs me. The fact you went ill equipped is bad enough. The fact you also took a child beggars belief. Its not legalese that each walk on this site has the following safety warning: "Hillwalking when there is snow or ice lying requires ice-axe, crampons and the ability to use them".

I know you have children yourself (and they often join you on your trips to the hills) and you are very experienced on the hills so I'm surprised you though venturing out above 1,000m with a child was a good idea. I was in the area the day before on the much gentler slopes of Beinn a' Chaorainn and I - a 14 stone, size 11, B2 shod man - had difficultly getting an edge into the ice hardened snow. Now conditions may have been more benign for you but the point is I was prepared - I had crampons & ice axe. The fact that I didn't use them in the end (because the slopes were so gentle) is neither here nor there.

I think you should seriously consider the safety of yourself and much more importantly any minors before you venture out in winter again.

We do all of course have a responsibility to look after ourselves, and those we take on the hills with us ensuring we make adequate provision to not endanger ourselves, or anyone that may be put in a position to help us in the event of an injury.

I don't intend to have a huge public debate on your points, though I'm sure I'm risking a wrath of strong opinions and views with this response. I agree with the essence of your thoughts (i.e. safety and the ability to look after yourself and those with you without putting others at risk) - but as you choose to phrase them here they do infer that this trip was a touch wreckless, and without due consideration - and that I disagree with you completely on.

1. We were fully 'prepared' to turn back - indeed we discussed that we might have to - this was absolutely not a 'summit at all costs' trip for us - your comments on your walk infer you were 'prepared' to ascend / descend in all but the very worst of conditions. At the very least we would have enjoyed a nice walk up / down a particularly beautiful Glen with my favoured Caledonia Pines, and that would have been enough of an outing for all of us had it turned out that way. We could have lengthened it by walking to Corrour had the ascent been dangerous.

2. The actual ascent was very short (c. 1.5km ignoring the walk in) so should there be any appreciable change / deterioration in the weather we could quickly change and execute revised plans AND add to that conditions were extremely benign, and predicted to stay so for two full days on MWIS

3. There were NO sustained periods of steep ascent / descent were covered in ice that would / could have resulted in a serious fall (i.e. there were routes around them where they existed).

4. I've been to the area (Devils Point, Carn Toul etc from the Linn of Dee), if not the exact route before, so was fully aware of both the route, and the terrain

5. We carried food and shelter for two days and were equipped to spend the night in the wilderness should we have needed to.

6. We were equipped with torches, satellite navigation, and a backup map and compass

I'm sorry you were disturbed. We weren't, and at no point on this walk / climb did we feel uncomfortable. And had we, as I said earlier I assure you, we would have turned back.

And the wee fella had a day he'll probably remember for the rest of his life, for the right reasons. A proper adventure; and a safe one. :D

wow, alistair be careful not to critisize a walk report on walkhighlands or you will be joining me on the naughty step :lol: , as this well prepared reply states andrew was prepared for every eventuality, he even kindly posts a video of him dealing with a potentially hazerdous ice situation :?
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Great report and wonderful photos as always Andrew but that video :lol: I almost cracked a rib laughing...you should get that to You've Been Framed and grab yourself a guaranteed £250. Well done to the 'wee man' he'll be bragging about that for many years to come :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby starrynights » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:57 pm

mgmt! wrote:wow, alistair be careful not to critisize a walk report on walkhighlands or you will be joining me on the naughty step :lol: , as this well prepared reply states andrew was prepared for every eventuality, he even kindly posts a video of him dealing with a potentially hazerdous ice situation :?

Normally known for my good and sometimes dodgy sense of humour (as my avatar plainly shows :eh: ) the camera mans laughter fell on deaf ears as I watched what could have been a potentially back-breaking fall. I only hope 'Scraggles' didn't suffer any long term damage. Andrew, instead of 'filming' a good friend walk across a hazardous section of ice - perhaps a helping hand may have been more appropriate - especially as you were so prepared for every eventuality....:crazy:
Guess I'll be joining you on that step mgmt!!
starrynights
Munro compleatist

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland