walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein from the South

Ben More and Stob Binnein from the South

by DrMagpie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 12/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein from the South

Postby ochilbhoy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Great report and photo's drmagpie, inspired me to give it a shot over the weekend of the longest day and kill two birds with one stone, camp out do the walk and get the sunset and sunrise for mid summers day that others had posted they were doing at various locations, alas the clouds put paid to that, set of 9.00pm from car park at Inverlochlarig Friday night, pitched tent after two hours of hard slog, set alarm for 4am, didn't sleep much sad to say was like a kid before Christmas, but at 4am the cold night was worth it, the views were stunning and off I went, clouds blocked out most of the sunrise but views were still stunning with suns rays blasting through gaps in the clouds, one of the best walks I have ever had, ridge walks were excellent as described, views stunning and climbs hard going, my pictures on iphone just do not capture it the same as yours do, need to invest in a decent camera, three quarters of the way up Ben More I wished I had ditched tent and sleeping bag and every other part of the kit I decided to carry up over and back in some hidey hole and picked up on the way back, by the time I was heading back up Stob Binnein, I was wishing scotty would beam me up to the enterprise, :( a long hard walk carrying far to much but enjoyed every minute of it, will learn from carrying to much legs are aching today.
ochilbhoy
Munro compleatist

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein from the South

Postby chickadee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Oh nice report and photos, looks gorgeous up there! Ben More's one of those I just read the reports of and go "...nah", which isn't to say I don't want to do it, just that it sounds pretty tough going! I am interested to read about this alternative way which does sound like you get lovely views. I actually thought Ben More was higher than it says on the map there, for some reason. Maybe because when you drive past it just looks giant over everything else!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland